Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Every time the staticy HBO intro comes on, I still expect it to lead straight on to The Sopranos' title sequence.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Gary James

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 30 January, 2020, 06:46:03 AM

Every time the staticy HBO intro comes on, I still expect it to lead straight on to The Sopranos' title sequence.

This is how you can guess someone's age - the show they most associate with the HBO intro. :D For me it would be Oz, so make of that what you will...

Rately

Quote from: Gary James on 30 January, 2020, 05:49:30 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 30 January, 2020, 06:46:03 AM

This is how you can guess someone's age - the show they most associate with the HBO intro. :D For me it would be Oz, so make of that what you will...

Yes, same here.

Many a bleary eyed Friday from having sat up all hours to watch Oz on Channel 4.

Gary James

Their scheduling of Oz wasn't nearly as bad as their handling of Babylon 5. And they had the temerity to put classic cartoons (Ulysses 31, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors...) on first thing in the morning - before The Big Breakfast for sure, and possibly before the repeat of Countdown - so people would be sleep-deprived for much of the week.

Recording shows on video to watch later simply wouldn't have been the same.

Rately

Quote from: Gary James on 31 January, 2020, 09:57:22 AM
Their scheduling of Oz wasn't nearly as bad as their handling of Babylon 5. And they had the temerity to put classic cartoons (Ulysses 31, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors...) on first thing in the morning - before The Big Breakfast for sure, and possibly before the repeat of Countdown - so people would be sleep-deprived for much of the week.

Recording shows on video to watch later simply wouldn't have been the same.

Aye, not good for days in work!

Sure their scheduling of The Sopranos was awful as well, at least for the early series. If I remember correctly, the time slot changed from week to week. Staggering to think that they had such brilliant TV, and shunted it into late spots.

Gary James

Quote from: Rately on 31 January, 2020, 10:00:07 AM
Staggering to think that they had such brilliant TV, and shunted it into late spots.

Or dropped shows halfway through the run, only for it to turn up on Sky. Or changed days when something was actually shown, irrespective of what the schedules said.

At least by that point the stupid on-screen triangle had disappeared.

Not ragging on C4 here speccifically (ITV is arguably worse, not least when it comes to remembering their own history). Between BritBox and All4 we should, finally, get a chance to revisit all the bonkers 80s scheduling. I recall a thing from the late 80s which had zombies in it, and if they stick that up somewhere I'll praise them enthusiastically.

repoman

HBO static intro always makes me think of Oz also.

The Legendary Shark

I've never seen Oz, don't know anything about it - from what you all say, though, seems like it's worth a watch. Time to DuckDuckGo it, methinks!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Rately

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 31 January, 2020, 11:23:42 AM

I've never seen Oz, don't know anything about it - from what you all say, though, seems like it's worth a watch. Time to DuckDuckGo it, methinks!

Not for the faint hearted, but definitely worth a watch as it has some amazing performances and writing. Hell of a cast, too.

repoman

Quote from: Rately on 31 January, 2020, 11:38:03 AM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 31 January, 2020, 11:23:42 AM

Not for the faint hearted, but definitely worth a watch as it has some amazing performances and writing. Hell of a cast, too.

THIS.

Oz was the first show to say 'I don't care if you're one of the main stars, you're getting killed/bummed in the gob.'

Pretty much setting the template for The Wire, Game of Thrones etc etc.

I rewatched it all last year and it still holds up.

Is the final Good Place today.  I've really enjoyed it but this last season hasn't been very funny.  I guess because it is more interested in driving the plot forward.  Looking forward to watching it tonight.

Gary James

Quote from: Rately on 31 January, 2020, 11:38:03 AM

Quote from: repoman on 31 January, 2020, 11:53:36 AM
I rewatched it all last year and it still holds up.

It is one of the half-dozen shows which, at the end of HBO's existence, will be mentioned in glowing terms, justifying its existence. It is that good. There are many, many people you ought to recognize in the cast, not least of whom is a certain newspaper editor in the Spider-Man films. If you enjoyed Lost, or really anything in the last twenty years, you will see someone you enjoy watching.

Have to add that it is extremely brutal, completely merciless with its characters, and utterly compelling - set it aside for a day you aren't expected someplace anytime soon.

The Legendary Shark

Okay, I'm sold - it's on The List!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

I'd like to rewatch Oz - it doesn't get the staticy intro gong from me (always Sopranos) as I rarely saw the start, but it was the show I'd watch sporadically when I got in from the pub. I remember watching several in a row and thinking "okay, I've got a handle on the main characters, so.. OMG HE JUST GOT SHIVVED!

Dandontdare

Woohoo Bojack's back! Made myself stop after two episodes to eke out this final run.

The Legendary Shark

A friend gave me Catastrophe, which is about a couple who get pregnant after a six night stand and decide to get married. I have long been in love with Sharon Horgan (just about the perfect woman) and so I'd love this programme even if it wasn't so damn good. Then, in episode two, there is Carrie Fisher - which was great but sad.

Also enjoying Motherland, which is also great but for different reasons.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]