Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trooper McFad

I know this has been out for a while with 6 seasons dit decided to give it ago.
3 seasons in and really enjoying it so far. Only issue going further is how many more Viking on Viking battles can the Viking "nation" take and still be able to raid foreign lands?
I'm glad there's a final season so hopefully the ones I've still to watch follow a strong story.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I lost interest during season 4, see if you can guess why.
You may quote me on that.

Professor Bear

Green Hornet is from the same blokes that made the Batman show, but is meant to be serious - even though it has the same rasping soundtrack and narrator on top of a ludicrous premise, as well as some very familiar-looking shots - that play almost every week - of the dynamic duo's super-vehicle thundering out of its hidden cave while the theme tune plays.  Unlike Batman, most episodes are done-in-one, though, and involve murder or blackmail.  It's shocking how it took watching this to twig how much the Batman series was a riff on 1940s/1950s movie serials, and... uhhhhh, this actually kinda works just fine?  I mean, it's dated pretty drastically and none of the plots are rocket science, but if you want to turn off your brain and just watch images flicker on the tv, this is fine.

Disenchantment - Matt Groenig's other other animated show.  Never quite finds its feet in terms of tone, which becomes all too obvious during the second season when it drops the episodic sitcom angle and becomes a serial throttled by the usual "looming threat" arcs and mysteries-upon-mysteries backstory revelations that just aren't interesting enough to justify hijacking the entire show.  Leaving it to the third season to address the lead character's sexual orientation and then dodging the bullet with an [spoiler]"all a dream"[/spoiler] cop-out is kinda chickenshit, too, but overall it has its moments.  It just isn't a patch on Futurama, but is easily as good as - and probably even better than - The Simpsons

episodes that they currently make.

Link Prime

Quote from: Mister Pops on 07 February, 2021, 06:03:40 PM

The introduction of JayzusB.Christ to the cast of extras?
Yeah, I hear ye.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Link Prime on 08 February, 2021, 09:26:46 AM

Yeah, I hear ye.

Ooh no that's me just finished season 3 and was gonna start 4 this week. Question to those who pushed through 4 is it like most long running series with a slow character building/no I've runout of ideas at the moment season but then kicks on for the final seasons?
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Link Prime

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 08 February, 2021, 10:23:44 AM

Yeah, I hear ye.

Ooh no that's me just finished season 3 and was gonna start 4 this week. Question to those who pushed through 4 is it like most long running series with a slow character building/no I've runout of ideas at the moment season but then kicks on for the final seasons?

Sorry Trooper, that was just a Forum in "joke".

What Senor Pops is referring to is a very significant status quo change in season 4.

For what it's worth, I am still watching and enjoying the show - just have to catch up on the final couple of episodes from Season 6 now.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Link Prime on 08 February, 2021, 12:07:17 PM
Quote from: Trooper McFad on 08 February, 2021, 10:23:44 AM

Yeah, I hear ye.

Sorry Trooper, that was just a Forum in "joke".

What Senor Pops is referring to is a very significant status quo change in season 4.

No, you had it right the first time Link, the striking good looks of Jayzus lurking in the background had me too twitterpated to follow the plot.
You may quote me on that.

Tiplodocus

I never got by the first episode of Bridgerton despite liking the lavish fantasy setting, colour blind casting and handsome if unlikable leads.

So I picked up on A SUITABLE BOY which looks like it will engage me more. Again visually a delight if a lot of stereotypical imagery. I like the initial promise of more weighty issues (though the results of the partition sem all rather PG rated "troubles") being covered behind a Romeo and Juliet start. It doesn't seem particularly poetic or lyrical though... not sure why I had it in my head it would be. But I'll persevere with this.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Bolt-01

Currently watching:

Raised By Wolves - seen only the first episode. Not sure what to make of it.
Star Trek Discovery - Season 2 ep 11 - bonkers but fun. Capt Pike is superbly charismatic.
The Haunting of Bly Manor - finished this last night and while I enjoyed the show I think the last episode was a colossal let-down.
Black Sails - Season 3 ep09 - good lord this is good telly. Topgallants indeed!
The Expanse - Season 1 ep02 - I didn't realise till I started this that I'd read some books by Corey. I reckon they are part of this universe so I look forward to recognising things at some point.

Trying to work through these 1 episode at a time for each - makes for some variable time gaps between episodes. Need to pick a new show to introduce to rotation now. I'm thinking of the Wire, keep some variety.

The Legendary Shark

I really must watch The Wire as I'm given to understand that it's rather good.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 February, 2021, 01:20:40 PM

I really must watch The Wire as I'm given to understand that it's rather good.

Yep its quite superb.

Smith

Finished season 1 of Expanse. It raises so many questions. I hope they get answered.

Back to The Americans. Seriously unappreciated show.

broodblik

The Americans where are great series just did not like the ending
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Professor Bear

The Wire is okay, but it's no Walker: Texas Ranger - no idea why I started watching this, probably because people were so publicly annoyed at Chuck Norris for being a douchebag at the Capitol Riot, but it didn't worry me none as he's long been problematic because of his extreme Christian fundamentalist views, but even those are part of the bizarre Chuck Norris package: karate champion, musician, fiction and non-fiction writer, occasional televangelist, pro-cop, anti-government - I mean, clearly I am describing the lead character from a series of pulp novels about a truck driver that fights vampires in post-apocalyptic America, and if he was left wing it would just sort of ruin it.  It just would.
Anyway, this show is a complete load of bollocks, but it does have lots of explosions and someone usually fights a bear every 12 episodes or so.  Around the third season, it just starts doing stuff about ghosts, with Billy Drago cosplaying as a Native American witchdocter raised from the dead to kill white people, or Chuck Norris pulling double duty as the ghost of a cowboy out to stop modern day crooks finding his cursed gold, and then Chuck fights a bear but they achieve mutual respect and team up to fight Bigfoot, who is actually a cyborg - that probably sounds a lot sillier than it actually is in the show, because you see the cyborg is actually a crook that Walker has been pursuing for years after he murdered Walker's sheriff friend who was one day from retirement, and Walker shot the plane the crook escaped in out of the sky with his handgun, but it was lost in the mountains and years later, Walker discovers that the crook didn't die in the plane crash because he welded parts of the plane to himself to replace the missing parts of his head and body, and now he wanders the mountains looking for victims to dismember using the proportionate speed and strength of a light aircraft - so you see, when you break it down, it's no different than something you'd see in The Wire.
I also just realised that long before he makes his first appearance and when characters ominously hear Bigfoot off in the distance, he's not growling, he's making plane engine noises.  When one episode starts with a mid-air shootout between hot air balloons, it barely registers as unusual.  Needless to say, this show is very silly.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut...

It is still significantly better than Walker - the 2021 reboot of the above, reinvented as an ensemble drama about a cop's 16 year-old daughter and her boring-as-fuck daddy issues, because that is naturally what you do when you have to reinvent a show about a lone wolf karate cowboy supercop.  Everything bad about the original is bad in the remake, too, only it's 2021 so there's no excuse for it.  I mean, it's a fucking cop show in 2021 - shot in and around the Texas border with Mexico - and yet it has nothing to say about institutionalised racism to the point that one character gets a visit from ICE and our supposed moral touchstone character doesn't even bat an eyelid, because This Is Fine.  Three episodes in, no-one has fought a bear or a ghost, and I am beginning to suspect that the show's producers think they're too good for that sort of thing.
I expected better from one half of the lead actors of Supernatural and/or The CW.

The Legendary Shark

Heh, that's Post of the Week right there!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]