Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 February, 2022, 12:02:11 PM
Quote from: CalHab on 22 February, 2022, 11:31:17 AM
Is that a licensing issue? Is Disney+ taking them on, now that they're incorporating characters from Daredevil in the MCU?

I was hoping this might happen. I have DD on my Netflix list - hadn't got to it yet and now seeing its going on 28/02 won't have time to. Shame.

So the news is out there that Daredevil and the rest are coming to Disney+. From March 16th in US and then rolling out in other areas after that.

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/daredevil-not-an-easy-fit-in-spider-man-pg-world-charlie-cox/

The Legendary Shark

Station Eleven, from a recommendation on this thread.

Wow. Just... wow.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

pictsy

The Expanse Season 2

I don't think this season was quite as strong as the first one and I think the series as a whole is probably going to suffer from starting at such a high watermark.  I still enjoyed it.  I like Bobbie and her arc for the season.

I got twenty minutes into first episode of season 3 and I have alarm bells going off.  Firstly, I don't like redemption fake outs and bad guy frames someone else for their crime trope.  I don't like any media doing this and I don't find it satisfying entertainment.  It is just frustrating.  Secondly, I'm concerned that the focus is going to start shifting more heavily towards interpersonal drama.  There were degrees of that throughout what I've seen so far, but in the first twenty minutes of this episode it was noticeably more condensed.  I hope it's an aberration because I find myself instantly less enthused for watching more.  I don't think I've had that after committing to two seasons of a programme and thoroughly enjoying them.

CalHab

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 03 March, 2022, 10:30:39 PM

Station Eleven, from a recommendation on this thread.

Wow. Just... wow.

Oooh. I enjoyed the book. I think I'm going to hunt down the tv series now.

Link Prime

Quote from: pictsy on 09 March, 2022, 02:17:14 PM
I like Bobbie and her arc for the season.

Right from her introduction she remained my favourite character in the series.

pictsy

I feel more confident carrying on with The Expanse after watching the third seasons second episode.  I am also resigned to accepting there is going to be plenty of dumb stuff in this series... not that there was much dumb in the second episode.  It was largely engaging and entertaining.  It also felt like the story moved forward.  I think that the transition between seasons this time was just poorly done and the two didn't flow adequately into one another.  Like there was half an episode missing or something.

I'm hoping we're back on track now.  I like most of the new directions taken in this episode even if I'm unsure about the new character.  I am hoping that this season has significant character development for Amos.  It always seems like he should be experiencing some sort of growth and he kind of just keeps reverting to a status quo.  If he doesn't learn empathy and compassion by the end of the series then they'd best have done something absolutely amazing with character for me not to be disappointed.

That said, I have been enjoying Alex's development.  The character is increasingly coming into his own and I wouldn't mind seeing it all culminating in him leading the group.  Because Jim sucks and Naomi is going in a different direction.

The Legendary Shark

Peacemaker follows on from the last Suicide Squad film and, from the Armstrong and Milleresque opening to the after-credits sequences, is great fun throughout.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Rara Avis

I assume Invincible has already come up in this thread if not another.

Be prepared for the final episode; it's something else.

Hawkmumbler

I never actually watched the show, having read the comics several times over. Maybe I should fix that.

pictsy

The Expanse Season 3

It ended up being okay.  It's a little jarring how it has a conclusion in the middle of the season and then has a time jump and new story to finish off the rest of the season.  Overall it ended up being entertaining and there was still plenty to like.  Camina is my favourite character of this season.  I'm kinda waiting on Amos to develop one way or another as a character.  He keeps getting paired with moral compasses but not a lot really progresses and he still remains frustratingly static.  His brand of apathetic nihilism is boring by this point and I don't see the point in him being a character if little is done with him.

So yeah, as the seasons go on the flaws of the show become more apparent and it will always live in the shadow of a really excellent first season.  It's still good, though and I think it's probably harsh to knock it for not meeting the potential I think it had at the beginning.  I'm just happy to still be enjoying it.

The Legendary Shark

Kingdom (of silly hats). A 16th Century Korean prince (in a silly hat) has to contend with political conspirators (in silly hats), who wish to place a pretender queen (in a spectacularly silly hat) on the throne and kill him. However, the prince encounters a plague that turns people into zombies (and knocks off their silly hats) and so strives to save his kingdom so that everyone can wear their silly hats in peace.

I'm not usually a fan of the zombie genre, with or without silly hats, but this is really very good indeed.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

judgeurko

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 27 March, 2022, 08:40:27 PM

Kingdom (of silly hats). A 16th Century Korean prince (in a silly hat) has to contend with political conspirators (in silly hats), who wish to place a pretender queen (in a spectacularly silly hat) on the throne and kill him. However, the prince encounters a plague that turns people into zombies (and knocks off their silly hats) and so strives to save his kingdom so that everyone can wear their silly hats in peace.

I'm not usually a fan of the zombie genre, with or without silly hats, but this is really very good indeed.
The hats aren't silly they are accurate to the time period check your prejudice.

The Legendary Shark

Well, pardon me all over the place.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Just finished the first season of Arcane — I have literally zero knowledge of the game(s) but the animated series has been fantastic. I'm delighted to learn that Netflix has greenlit a second series.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

pictsy

The Expanse Season 4

Ugh, no.  Not fun nor interesting.  Very boring, dull and predictable.  This all dragged out far too long with too many cliches.  I did think at one point "maybe they'll do something with Amos" but by the end they hit the big reset button for him.  The whole season could have excised the guff and filled about four episodes.  Maybe five if you want some incredibly boring election narrative.  At this point I think less of the previous Seasons.  What I thought was a set up for something insightful and interesting has ended up kind of trite and obvious.  I groaned all the way through it.

Not sure if anything they do after this could possible be redeemable.  One thing I do know is this show isn't finding itself into my regular viewing circulation solely because I really don't want to have to go through Season 4 ever again.