Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PsychoGoatee

I shall check those shows out, heard good things about Parks and Rec. And definitely, gotta love the 2000AD representation on Spaced, Tim Bisley etc.

Rara Avis

Just checking .. have you watched Curb Your Enthuiasm?

Mardroid

Star Wars Rebels, season 2.

Very enjoyable, but I binged too much at once. I need more self discipline to pace myself. Heh.

sheridan

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 08 May, 2017, 10:29:38 PM
Just watched Spaced for the second time over the past couple days, so damn good! Been a good decade or more since I first watched it. Give Nick Frost every role, he's so damn good, make him the next Doctor. Everybody is great on that.

Any comedies in the ballpark of as creative/clever/great as that in the past fifteen years? It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is the next best I can think of. I've heard Black Books is good, haven't checked that out yet.

I live around the corner from the Spaced house (and not too far from the Shaun of the Dead house as well).

Main claim to (reflected) fame though is that the Territorial Army ground where they filmed the Robot Wars episode is behind my house.  Can't see into the parade ground due to high walls and trees, but we can hear the cadet forces doing drills.  The ground is supposedly vacated by the T.A. but they're still drilling on the parade ground.

PsychoGoatee

That's very very cool, small world.  :D

(^yep I've seen some Curb Your Enthusiasm, funny stuff)

radiator

Any comedies in the ballpark of as creative/clever/great as that in the past fifteen years?

COMMUNITY is the closest thing you'll find to an American version of Spaced, and as a geek-centric sitcom, puts The Big Bang Theory to shame. There's a reason that pretty much everyone involved with it, both on and off-screen, have gone on to enormous success since it went off the air.

It's a show that starts out very pedestrian, then gets crazier and crazier as it finds its groove. Some people (myself included) don't initially click with the early episodes of season 1, so I tend to recommend people skip the first few episodes and start with the episodes that show it's more creative, Spaced-like genre-bending side like 'Introduction to Statistics' (s01e07), 'Contemporary American Poultry' (s01e21) and 'Modern Warfare' (s01e23).

Season 2 is just absolutely phenomenal from start to finish - one of my favourite seasons of a TV show ever.

I would also highly recommend Rick & Morty and Silicon Valley.

PsychoGoatee

Oddly enough I was looking more for British TV comedies, I'm more versed on the US ones. But yep I've seen some Community, that GI Joe parody episode was solid too. But any recommendations are always good thanks, and there's always Canada too.  :D Australia has Review, I loved the American remake of that, and Danger 5 which is great. I will put giving Community a more complete watch on my list though!

Not to say I won't watch a subtitled comedy series, I am fan of Japan.  :cool:

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

Preacher.

Haven't read the comics. So coming to it zero expectations I am very happy so far. Only up to the 4th episode but I'm loving the way the story is developing. Can't wait to finish these off and the release of season 2.

Theblazeuk

Green Wing was pretty good and has more of Mark Heap in a differently massively eccentric role.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: radiator on 10 May, 2017, 11:54:01 PM
Any comedies in the ballpark of as creative/clever/great as that in the past fifteen years?

COMMUNITY is the closest thing you'll find to an American version of Spaced, and as a geek-centric sitcom, puts The Big Bang Theory to shame. There's a reason that pretty much everyone involved with it, both on and off-screen, have gone on to enormous success since it went off the air.

I second this completely - Community is excellent television. Rick and Morty is beyond creative - it reaches into existentially-troubling levels of creativity. I haven't watched Silicon Valley but based on the strength of radiator's TV judgement usually I'm game!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 11 May, 2017, 10:27:04 AM
Green Wing was pretty good and has more of Mark Heap in a differently massively eccentric role.

Pretty good, pretty good.

Surely you mean one of the all time great comedies?

radiator

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 11 May, 2017, 11:20:10 AM
Quote from: radiator on 10 May, 2017, 11:54:01 PM

I second this completely - Community is excellent television. Rick and Morty is beyond creative - it reaches into existentially-troubling levels of creativity. I haven't watched Silicon Valley but based on the strength of radiator's TV judgement usually I'm game!

We binged the first three seasons of Silicon Valley over the course of a week and are now enjoying season 4. It's really, really good. A great core cast of characters that arrive fully formed from the very first episode (the obvious early MVP is Erlich, but Jared eclipsed him as my favourite over time), and it's much more plot-driven than I expected. It may sound like a weird comparison, but it's almost a bit like Breaking Bad, in that the gang are always miraculously getting out of one scrape, but in the process sow the seeds for the next crisis. The tech industry satire is also really on point, and it feels like it'll be one of those shows that is looked back on as really having tapped into the zeitgeist of the era in which it was made. Really good telly.

I also second the recommendations for Parks and Rec - it's a really tremendous show, and gets better as it goes on (especially once they they shift focus from 'isn't Leslie Knope pathetic?' to 'Leslie Knope is actually awesome' and ditch the deadweight Mark character).

Pyroxian

Quote from: Mardroid on 10 May, 2017, 09:46:54 PM
Star Wars Rebels, season 2.

Very enjoyable, but I binged too much at once. I need more self discipline to pace myself. Heh.

Agree, but at the end of S2, I had to know what happened next, so started binging on S3 :D

Hawkmumbler

Twilight of the Apprentice ranks up as the very best of season finales i've seen in years, it's astonishingly unrelenting.

The Legendary Shark

I have a soft spot for Archer, which can be truly hilarious - like when Archer shoots an alligator in the head with an arrow. Also, I'm in love with Lana, despite her huge man-hands and the fact that she's animated...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]