Main Menu

Mark Millar on Newsnight Review

Started by Roger Godpleton, 09 October, 2009, 11:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Professor Bear

Explaining how he invented comics, probably.

Dandontdare

Bollox, just missed that. So what the drokk was he doing on there and what did he have to say?

Roger Godpleton

It was a "geek culture" special (they had Kevin Smith on the panel and everything. Jeanette Winterson was the skeptic) and he did a piece on how the entire pop culture nexus is now focused on him and his shit hair and that the entire publishing industry is DYING whilst COMICS become the FUTURE.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Peter Wolf

I didnt think Mark Millar came across too badly at all and neither did Kevin Smith surprisingly enough but Jeanette Winterson was just irritating wittering on about "Unnecessary violence" and female stereotypes and "the lowest common denominator" and how "we can still be human beings".She was annoying otherwise it was well worth watching and from what Kevin Smith was saying there is going to be an explosion of film adaptations of comic books which cant be a bad thing in principle anyway.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

I, Cosh

I didn't bother watching it as I was out doing stuff instead, so here's my view...

Two of my ex-girlfriends will attest that Mark Millar is a pointless cunt. Because I told them and one of them read an interview in Metro.

Jeanette Winterson has absolutely no idea how to frame a plot or what might motivate actual human characters, yet her best prose has a luminous quality of insight and truth about it. I sometimes think GUT Symmetries might be the best book ever written.
We never really die.

Emperor

A report here and link to iPlayer if anyone wants to watch it again:

www.bleedingcool.com/2009/10/09/mark-millar-and-kevin-smith-do-bbc-newsnight-review/
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Colin YNWA

Just watched it on iPlayer and while it was interesting I wish people would bloody well stop calling comics a genre. Comics are a medium which can present all genre.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 10 October, 2009, 12:36:49 AM
It was a "geek culture" special (they had Kevin Smith on the panel and everything. Jeanette Winterson was the skeptic) and he did a piece on how the entire pop culture nexus is now focused on him and his shit hair and that the entire publishing industry is DYING whilst COMICS become the FUTURE.

Mark Millar & Kevin Smith representing "Geek Culture"?...we're fucked.

Leigh S

I'll watch this only if someone can guarantee they have a big fight on a travellator suspended above a lava pool to decide the outcome.

Jim_Campbell

Just to avoid any potential disappointment, I can confirm that no-one drops any kind of piano on Mark Millar, or, indeed, Mark MillaAARR as Kevin Smith would have it. Avast. Me hearties.

Cheers

Jim

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 October, 2009, 12:02:08 AM
Just to avoid any potential disappointment, I can confirm that no-one drops any kind of piano on Mark Millar, or, indeed, Mark MillaAARR as Kevin Smith would have it. Avast. Me hearties.

Cheers

Jim

In my ill advised attempt to get educate myself on the Marvel Universe and get more into the superhero  genre, I started listening to a podcast called The Sidekickcast, that deals with American comics but focusses mainly on Marvel. They have a section called X-Centric Ned where a guy tries to explain X-continuity to newbies that tends to last about 30mins at a time and can cause your brain to melt if you're not careful. 

Anyway, they pronounce Millar like that, on the grounds it's not spelled with an 'E' so it can't be pronounced the same way. They actually had a big discussion of it in one of the episodes. I think someone had complained or something. Anyway, just want to say that hearing it spoken like that, over and over again, for 90mins, is akin to torture. It just sounds WRONG.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Dandontdare

"big Star Trek girls?"  :o Whatever could he mean?

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 11 October, 2009, 12:19:40 AM
"big Star Trek girls?"  :o Whatever could he mean?

I don't know, but I want in.