Main Menu

megazine 290

Started by moly, 10 October, 2009, 11:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moly

came through the door this morning with another excellent 2000ad unfortunatly cant say the same for the meg.. judge dredd another decent story and armitage finishes nicely.. tank girl is really wasting pages in in my opinion with a written story for gods sake also not 1 not 2 but 3 artist interview if wasnt for the mega city early years story starting soon i would defo give up on the meg

Trout

Is it just me, or is there more text than ever this month?

I've only read the strip content so far, although I'm really looking forward to the Brendan McCarthy feature. I'll save it for later.

Tank Girl's marvellously entertaining, as usual, and I was chuckling at the Bato Loco story. I wasn't crazy about his earlier appearances, but this one worked really well, I thought. Lots of fun.

The other two stories were enjoyable, especially the art on the lead Dredd. Conversely, I was disappointed in John Cooper's art on Armitage, especially the second-last page, which I thought was a wasted opportunity for an image with real punch. The whole episode seemed a little rushed, art-wise. Some of the figures aren't great, and are sort of floating in the air. Oh well.
I thought the story in Armitage was well told, and tied up very well in the end. Must read all the parts in one go.

- Trout

Tjm86

have to admit the only thing that did it for me this month with the meg was the Dredd strip, and even that seemed to be wrapped up a bit too fast.  Hopeful that some of the new material pushes out the likes of the film review.  Can't see why such a universally derided segment has held on so long.  See next month's supplement is Cannon Fodder.  As Blackadder once said: "soft, strong and thoroughly absorbent!"  Might seriously rethink the dual sub if it carries on like this. :(

Pete Wells

Man, I thought that Bato Loco strip was fantastic! The strip really suited Andrew Currie's wonderful style, as opposed to the more serious Dredd/Vienna one he did before. It felt like I was reading something from MAD Magazine or even Eric Powell's Goon stuff - it was that good!

The Dredd itself was enjoyable enough, but as Tjm said, it was over a bit quick. The twist at the end was a hoot though!

Up to now, the only other thing I've read is the Tanky strip and it was frigging hilarious. I'm saving the rest for when I'm not being skivvy to the poorly missus. Speaking of which, she's calling again (with her pathetic poorly voice on...)

"Coming dear!" Grrrrrr...

Dandontdare

An underwhelming Meg - maybe it suffers more in comparison to the fantastic progs we're getting?

Dredd was a good simple shoot em  up to contrast with Wagner's plot-heavy stuff in the prog, Bato Loco is always a lot of fun, and Armitage ended less interestingly than I was hoping.

I've flicked through the rest, but may never actually get around to reading any of it. A Tank Girl text story and three creator interviews? I don't think so.

Dark Jimbo

Oh, for- I thought Tank Girl's tenure had finished?!

I wouldn't begrudge it a place in the prog where there'd be plenty of other good stuff to distract me and it'd be finished twice as quickly, but it's like an albatross around the neck of the Meg. Where I could be forgiving in a five-story weekly, in a monthly with only four strip slots it's taking up prime real estate and can seemingly only muster feeble poo jokes to do it with. I'd rather have something a bit more substansial to hold the interest - even the small press stuff was generally of a batter standard. At least those creators were trying hard to tell good stories, even if they didn't always work, and you never quite knew what you were going to get in any given issue.

Sorry to moan - I did try hard to give TG the benefit of the doubt, and held off moaning for most of its initial run. But that was something like a year and half ago now(!), and I'm just thoroughly sick and tired of it.

Anyway, looking forward to Bato Loco, and indeed the return of Andrew Currie (I fear Tooth didn't quite get the best out of him last time).
@jamesfeistdraws

Swerty

Whats next months free g/n?

Pete Wells

Mike Gloady

Cannon Fodder 1 and 2 were quite bad enough the first time around.  Tank Girl too?

*sigh*

I agree with Jimbo.  Were this in the prog it'd be over quicker and not drag the title down quite so much, in the meg it's a real strain. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Bolt-01

Another note to praise Andrew Currie on Bato Loco. Whilst it is a shame that Simon Coleby didn't get to draw the new strip- Currie has done a bang- up job and I really enjoyed it.

Thought the Dredd was an unfortunate waste of Kev's ability- sorry Robbie- but your Dredd doesn't work for me.

Tank Girl could do with a break to let Rufus get his breath back. I'd love to see him doing more Dredd world stuff.

Armitage I'm sorry to say I gave up on. John Cooper's art on this is a real mixed bag but I've never really got with the character at all.

I told you all last year about the Prog-meg balance, and it looks like I'm being proven right still. The Prog is flying, so the meg needs some attention.

Proudhuff

Thought the Dredd was a bit light story wise, never keen on speaking sepents etc ( why can't a snake be the good guy but everyone treats him like the baddie just because he's a snake?), artwork wonderful tho.

Bato Loco innocent fun, altho it took a double take to see the 2nd gun toting girl was different from the first.

Tank Girl fine, but like all good house guest it shouldn't over stay its welcome.

Armitage picked up for a nice finish, it could have been a nice three parter (with some blue penciling)and i would like to see Kev Walker's take on Armitage's Britian.

Three interviews does seem a bit top heavy but they were all interesting and informative, and heresy, I'm finding the film review getting to be more informative and dare i say interesting too.

A reasonable prog for me, but the weak cover ( designwise: messy and the lower girl seems a bit odd somehow) looking forward to the new thrills ahoy! I have to, I just renewed my subby.
DDT did a job on me

The Monarch

It really is canon fodder 2?!?

I've won....I expect the universe to end now

TordelBack

I'm now imagining The Monarch standing in front of a giant bank of TV screens, head back, arms held high, purple toga flapping.

Well done, that fanatic.

The Monarch

six years of my life ends next month...god how sad am I?

TordelBack

Nothing ends, Monarch.  Nothing ever ends.