Main Menu

Prog 1929 Armed and Dangerous

Started by Mattofthespurs, 02 May, 2015, 10:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

What a beautiful cover from Ryan Brown. Crisp and clean with a real 3-D feel to it. I particularly like the strap 2000 AD being reflected in Dredd's helmet and the whisp of smoke that partly obscures the corner 'badge' 2000 AD. I've sat looking at the cover for far longer than is probably healthy. Lovely stuff.

Judge Dredd: Breaking Bud part 1. Good start. Already feel really sorry for Bud. No one should have to live in Duncan Smith block.

Orlok, Agent of East Meg One: The Rasputin Caper part six. Concludes this issue and I've enjoyed it. Felt quite old school to me.

Slaine The Brutania Chronicles Book two part six. Love the artwork on this story, probably my favourite of the whole issue. The final page is beautiful with all the greens and reds.

Grey Area: Locked In part three. My least favourite of the current run but I still get pleasure in reading it.

Strontium Dog: The Stix Fix part six. Again, great stuff. The prog has a terrific blend of the old and the new (more in favour of the old, if truth be told) and that's just the way I like it.

Nice poster encouraging us all to vote (I shall be) and finally an ad for issue 8 of the Judge Dredd Mega Collection.

I thought this issue might have been a bit of a let down after the FCBD issue but it holds it own well. Hopefully loads will pick this up with their freebie at the comic shop and they won't be disappointed.

Bolt-01

and of course massive bragging rights for Jim Campbell. Well done, that squaxx.

Tjm86

Mr Wagner certainly wasn't pulling his punches this week.  No question of who he won't be voting for!  Great Elson art as well on Dredd.  Nice to see him back (but can we have Kingdom back please).  Definitely the highlight for me this week.

Orlok finishes this week.  I'm just going to leave it there and hope that the powers that be do the same ...

Quote of the week:  "And I want to manually disconnect your skull and defecate down your trachea."

SimonBowland

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 02 May, 2015, 10:46:23 AM
I'm sure you weren't to know, but I had to bow out of lettering this week's Strontium Dog due to emergency surgery, so not sure "bragging rights" is appropriate...

JamesC

It's a great cover from Ryan Brown. Really lovely.

Loved Dredd this week. Great art as ever from Richard Elson.

I'm skipping Orlock and Slaine. The former just isn't my cup of tea and I just can't get my around Simon Davis on Slaine. It just doesn't feel like Slaine's world to me.

Grey Area is fantastic, I love everything about it.

Strontium Dog is another cracker. This feels like one of the stories from years ago. A return to form as far as I'm concerned.

ZenArcade

And youse let Campbell in!!! We'll never hear the f**king end of this....naw seriously, look forward to this. Anyone got the cover yet, Eamonn?? Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Colin YNWA

Ryan Brown, is he the fella who had a bunch of great images posted here not that long ago?

Mattofthespurs

ZenArcade

Lookin good there. Cheers Matt. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Bolt-01

Quote from: SimonBowland on 02 May, 2015, 12:01:13 PM
Quote from: Bolt-01 on 02 May, 2015, 10:46:23 AM
I'm sure you weren't to know, but I had to bow out of lettering this week's Strontium Dog due to emergency surgery, so not sure "bragging rights" is appropriate...

Actually Simon, you are totally correct. I wasn't fully aware of the situation so I apologise if my comment sounds callous.

Colin YNWA

Good Prog, though not up to the standards of last weeks. Firstly the Dredd wasn't as strong.While its a good solid Wagner it had far too many echos to Mandriod, even of they were superficial ones in the set up of driving a man into the ground. Maybe that was the point, Mega City One gets to them all, grinds everyone down just the same. Well cool good point and almost well made, just it was too much of an echo.

Secondly Orlok, whihc has been hit and miss to date ends with a big miss, it clunks to an end and The Black Widower so easily dismissed before hopes no sense of threat and so the end no danger or excitment.

The other three though are all fine. Slaine has a great part, Grey Area a good solid one and Strontium Dog Rocks

sheridan

Quote from: SimonBowland on 02 May, 2015, 12:01:13 PM
I'm sure you weren't to know, but I had to bow out of lettering this week's Strontium Dog due to emergency surgery
I hope the surgery went well, and that any recovery time is short.

Eamonn Clarke

sorry i'm late. Busy day at FCBD yesterday and a party in the evening (unheard of for me, a social life, really?!)

Dark Jimbo

Great cover by the newly constructed Brown droid - just enough evidence of an artists's hand behind the computery stuff that it avoids feeling 'cold' like some CG covers can.

Dredd intrigues with a slow-build opener, that has Wagner rubbing my face in the fact that I missed the much-lauded Dead Zone in the Megazine. I've looked into buying the back issues but just can't afford it - hopefully it won't be too important to the current run.

Well, taken on its own terms this week's episode of Orlok was not too bad. 'Max' turned out to be a completely pointless addition to the strip, though, as did bothering to ressurect Tank Girl. Talk about narrative dead-ends! Overall I'm still not really sure what the point of this was - I was no great fan of the first run but at least it was more coherent than this. I've had very little expierience of Orlok as a Dreddverse character, and sad to say this strip is slowly putting me off finding out more.

Slaine promises great things next week, but my God, doesn't it take a long time getting there?! Nice to see Ukko again, though.

Grey Area continues to be a surprise hit. Really, really enjoying this run.

Strontium Dog takes the top-spot again. Hard to believe this is only part six! So much happening it's a joy; various locales on Earth, a murder scene in a space freighter, a galactic transport hub, Freedonia, Stixville, and now the Rock! This has all the makings of a truly classic SD jaunt - plenty of callbacks to past favourites but oodles of new concepts and characters in every episode.
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

I'm enjoying most of the Prog, but it's frustrating to see Sláine once again bogged down in lethargic pacing and flashbacks. (ABC Warriors too often has the same issue of recycling.) I really enjoyed the last run, so I'm hoping this one picks up again.