Main Menu

Prog 1929 Armed and Dangerous

Started by Mattofthespurs, 02 May, 2015, 10:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. R. Logan

Now can we discuss lettering.
Paper, pen and a knife, acetates or those new fangled Apple devices that do all the work for you as you dance around to The Cult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim_Campbell

It's true. I do nothing apart from roll about on a bed of money while my computer does all the work.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 03 May, 2015, 03:11:23 PM

Slaine promises great things next week, but my God, doesn't it take a long time getting there?! Nice to see Ukko again, though.

Good to hear of his return.

Hope he stays, a essential part of the Slaine machine  :D

SimonBowland

Quote from: sheridan on 03 May, 2015, 01:28:45 AM
I hope the surgery went well, and that any recovery time is short.
Thanks, Sheridan! Tharg has me back at work already...

JudgeOiNK!

I only came to 2000AD with Prog 1900 (took me long enough, being 37 and all) so a lot of this is new to me, in particular Slaine and SD.  But I thought I'd share what this new-ish newbie thinks of his first dabbling into their worlds:

Cover - Oh my word it's simply stunning! One of my very favourite covers since I started collecting (ok yes I haven't got that many yet, but still) it's just a wonderful piece of art, and from a local artist no less, being from Belfast.

Judge Dredd: Braking Bud Part One - Richard Elison's art here is a huge draw, almost feels like stills from a superbly produced animation.  I see what people mean by Wagner not holding back in his political beliefs which keeps it current, as all good futuristic stories do, and having also read Dead Zone in the Megazine I'm glad to see how the bracelet story arc has come over to the Prog.  Should be an interesting one.

Orlok: The Rasputin Caper Part Six - I really don't know what to make of this now it's over.  I really enjoyed his previous story and look forward to volume three of The Complete Case Files which I believe contain his original story from Dredd.  His first prequel story had depth to it and I was fascinated with the character, but here he's basically run from one comical scene to another.  Maybe I'm wrong as I haven't read his original strips but he doesn't suit the comedy and I'd prefer the darker, espionage-filled feel of the previous story to return.

Slaine: Primordial Part Six - I've only read the few opening chapters to the original Slaine stories in the Best of 2000AD book, so I'm unaware of his long and successful history in the Prog.  I'll admit I'm a bit lost at times but have picked up enough to enjoy it.  While some of the dialogue I have enjoyed has bored others (I particularly enjoyed a previous issue's page-long selection of sayings from Sinead and Slaine's frustrations), I admit it's been good to see a bit of action.  These flashbacks and action scenes have, ironically, told me more about his character than all the dialogue put together so far.  Looks like it's building up too.  Definitely a character for me to sink my teeth into with graphic novels.

Grey Area: Locked In Part Three - I'm really enjoying this, just enough characterisation for a new reader to feel acquainted with established characters, the art is suitably alien, there's humour and action and an intriguing set-up which I'm looking forward to seeing pan out.  Definite thumbs up!

Strontium Dog: The Stix Fix Part Six (say that fast three times!) - Like Slaine I've read a few classic entries for SD but this is my first encounter with him properly.  Unlike Slaine I feel this strip is a better jumping on point for a new reader like myself.  I enjoyed the humour in the first couple of episodes' stories, which have seamlessly led on to a darker, mysterious side (while maintaining SD's own wit) and I'm really liking SD as a character too.  Also got a soft spot for Carlos' work as my first proper Dredd strip was Block Judge.

Flip, I can waffle can't I?  I'll get it under control for next week...
Blog - http://the-oink-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Twitter - @PhilEdBoyce

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: JudgeOiNK! on 04 May, 2015, 08:37:15 PM
Strontium Dog: The Stix Fix Part Six (say that fast three times!) - Like Slaine I've read a few classic entries for SD but this is my first encounter with him properly.

You must immediately go and buy Strontium Dog Agency Files 2, for Johnny's origin story and a great intro to the Stront world at large - no, not tomorrow, now!
@jamesfeistdraws

ZenArcade

Hold fire Judge Oink, I'll lend mine at next meet up. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

JudgeOiNK!

Cheers for the tip Dark jumbo and thanks for the lend ZenArcade!  Appreciate it!  Reading my way through Phases one and two of Zenith at the moment, will look forward to catching up with SD then.
Blog - http://the-oink-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Twitter - @PhilEdBoyce

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: JudgeOiNK! on 04 May, 2015, 08:37:15 PM
Slaine: Primordial Part Six - I've only read the few opening chapters to the original Slaine stories in the Best of 2000AD book, so I'm unaware of his long and successful history in the Prog.  I'll admit I'm a bit lost at times but have picked up enough to enjoy it.  While some of the dialogue I have enjoyed has bored others (I particularly enjoyed a previous issue's page-long selection of sayings from Sinead and Slaine's frustrations), I admit it's been good to see a bit of action.  These flashbacks and action scenes have, ironically, told me more about his character than all the dialogue put together so far.  Looks like it's building up too.  Definitely a character for me to sink my teeth into with graphic novels.

Simon's work so much like Massimo's during that Bride of Crom flash backs, it's almost like he's invoked his spirit for just that purpose!

Ghost MacRoth

Cover: Lovely stuff from Mr Brown.  Look forward to seeing him having a bash at a strip sometime!

Judge Dredd: Liking it thus far.  Wagner seems able to drop in a wee political dig without the need of a soapbox and clunky exposition as we saw in Savage quite often.  I can see the comparison with Mandroid.....but I think it may be quite different if played as less justified on Bud's part.  Need to wait and see I guess!

Orlok: Not as good as the first run, but not really bad as such.  A bit disjointed at times, with the feeling of rushing through the tale on occasion. 

Slaine: Continues to plod along, but is doing nothing for me other than the occasional impressive panbel or two.

Grey Area: Still liking this a lot.  Look forward to seeing how they finally get the Harmonious Free to listen.

Strontium Dog: More old school fun from the dawg.  A risky plan....presenting himself to Jabba...erm...Castor Limax unarmed......and he ain't even a Jedi. ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

ThryllSeekyr

I NEED A FAVOUR, pls.

Either Sage Payor Westpac have locked my account (Again!) and when I rung them to unlock it. They told me they wouldn't fix it unless I visit one of their branches in person.

I'm just simply sick and tired of this dog work....telephone/online banking is real and should have ben all it took to unlock my card.

Now the reason, I'm asking here is that it's about this Prog.

So far, all I need, is the digital version to keep me going.

PROG 1929

I would like somebody to some how obtain a link or the pdf itself and send this to me via e-mail or so how, but quickly over the internet.

I can pay them the normal way via Pay Pal

I just put ten dollars in my Pay Pal wallet, but it might take until this time next week uuntil the money arrives there.

Never the less, it's only a few pounds for the digital download.

Surely somebody with a Pay Pal account can do this for me.

I only need the digital download for now,  until my bank come to their sense unlock my account without me going to any real trouble.

This why a lot of people go mentally ills when simple things like this can't happen. 

Keef Monkey

Oooooft that's a great Dredd cover!

Dredd itself was fantastic this week too, really nice to see the threads from the meg being picked up (love a bit of continuity between the two!), artwork was great, writing was great, the satire was great. It was great.

Still wasn't grabbed by Orlok. I re-read the first series the other night for a refresher and to see how it held up in a single read and I think I like that first run more, but still wasn't a fan particularly. It seems to rattle along too quickly for any of it to sink in for me, and the change in tone between the first and second series' was quite jarring. Part of my problem is that I don't see why this needs to be Orlok, and struggle to really think of it as Orlok. Having a prequel series where he's off on Bond-style japes around the world is doing a lot to undo the mystique and cool of the character for me a bit, it just doesn't feel appropriate to me.

Slaine looks gorgeous (that first double page spread was a doozy) but it pulls a proper Mills by going into a seemingly unnecessary bit of backstory, meaning in story terms it's a whole episode where nothing moves forward. Still looks amazing though.

Still finding Grey Area is my number two weekly strip just now (after Dredd), just love the set up and the art and can't wait to see how things turn out with the god star. A bit like Slaine, there isn't exactly a load of story progression this week, but I didn't seem to mind so much.

Strontium Dog is Strontium Dog, it's an enjoyable action romp and I like to see Alpha being a badass but I still haven't remembered why he's where he is doing what he's doing. I'm sure it'll come to me, and look forward to enjoying the series in a oner.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 07 May, 2015, 12:25:37 PM
Strontium Dog is Strontium Dog, it's an enjoyable action romp and I like to see Alpha being a badass but I still haven't remembered why he's where he is doing what he's doing.

North Korean dictator Jin Jong Jang kidnapped, nephew threatning nuclear armageddon. Alpha found a recording of various Stix murdering the passengers and crew on the astroliner Jin Jong was nabbed from; with the help of Wheatus Stix he's now tracked them down to the Rock.
@jamesfeistdraws

robert_ellis

Please can Dark Jimbo write the "story so far" boxes in the prog. I love 2000ad but I can't remember what happened a week ago. I know I'm in the minority but I'd love a detailed catch-up each week. Yes I could look it up online but I'm reading the prog on the tube.