Main Menu

July Previews: Progs 1553-1556, Meg 263...

Started by Grant Goggans, 01 July, 2007, 04:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Goggans

Here's what's coming up in a couple of months...

2000 AD #1553-1556
Britain's award-winning cult British SF anthology comic surges into September with a stunning line-up of stories! Nate Slaughterhouse is a killing machine that can¹t be stopped in the eagerly awaited sequel to Judge Dredd thriller 'Mandroid' by John Wagner (A History of Violence) and Simon Coleby; vengeance from the past is coming to destroy the Caballistics team in 'Ashes' by Gordon Rennie and Dom Reardon; the ABC Warriors reveal more hidden secrets of the Volgan War, by Pat Mills (Marshal Law) and Clint Langley; Harry Exton can't escape the Voices in Button Man: The Hitman¹s Daughter by John Wagner and Frazer Irving (Gutsville); and a dangerous trip into another dimension must be taken in Stone Island: The Harrowers by Ian Edginton (The Great Game) and Simon Davis! (C: 0-1-2)
Magazine, 32pgs, PC   SRP: $4.10

JUDGE DREDD MEGAZINE #263
by Various
Enter the brutal world of law enforcer Judge Dredd every month! Dredd must catch the murderous 'Gingerbread Man' in the thrilling final episode by John Wagner and Henry Flint (The Omega Men); destruction rains down on Psi-Judge Anderson in 'Big Robots' by Alan Grant (Batman) and Dave Taylor; Dredd plunges deeper into the depths of Hell in 'Blood of Satanus III: The Tenth Circle' by Pat Mills and John Hicklenton; and the half-human Fink Angel takes his turn in the spotlight in new story 'Pizzen: Impossible' by Simon Spurrier (Gutsville) and Steve Roberts. Plus interviews, reviews and much more! (C: 0-1-2)
Magazine, 64pgs, PC   SRP: $7.50

STRONTIUM DOG: SEARCH/DESTROY AGENCY FILES 03 GN
by Alan Grant & John Wagner, Carlos Ezquerra & Simon Harrison
Following the Atom Wars in the 22nd century, many of the survivors were mutated by the Strontium 90 fallout. Unable to get regular jobs, forced into ghettoes and considered an underclass by the 'norms,' the only work open to them was bounty hunting. These Search Destroy Agents, better known as Strontium Dogs, hunt the criminals too dangerous for the Galactic Crime Commission. One such S/D Agent is Johnny Alpha, whose eyes enable him to see through solid objects. Book 4 collects together such classic stories as "Max Bubba" and "Rage." (C: 0-1-2)
SC, 384pgs, B&W   SRP: $28.99

THE SIMPING DECTECTIVE
by Simon Spurrier & Frazer Irving
Mega-City One, 2129 AD. Simped-up private eye Jack Point is an undercover â??Wally Squadâ?? Judge â?? â??cos only a clown would want to walk the street of Angeltown, the arse-end of City Bottom. Heâ??s got two friends in this world, oneâ??s long and hard, and makes your ears ring after every shot; the otherâ??s his gun. In fact, Jackâ??s got enemies on both sides of the Law, and heâ??s in deep trouble! This trade paperback presents a series of stories exploring the dark underbelly of Mega-City One, the home of Judge Dredd! (C: 0-1-2)
SC, 144pgs, FC   SRP: $24.99

I, Cosh

eagerly awaited sequel to Judge Dredd thriller 'Mandroid' by John Wagner (A History of Violence) and Simon Coleby

Oh dear. It's not a story that was crying out for a follow up so soon and I think it would certainly have benefited from waiting for Kev Walker whose art provided a lot of the atmosphere that made the first one so good.
We never really die.

Buttonman

Buttonman in 10 progs time - 'appenin'! Nice that Satanus will be here to annoy everyone for at least 3 more Megs.

jabish

'Oh dear. It's not a story that was crying out for a follow up so soon and I think it would certainly have benefited from waiting for Kev Walker whose art provided a lot of the atmosphere that made the first one so good.'

Jesus I hope Wagner doesn't read this board, talk about negative out of the block. I'd wait and see buddy, chances are it'll be great. I for one was delighted to see this coming up. A nice surprise.

I, Cosh

I'd be extremely surprised if he gave a monkey's fuck what I think. Besides, my problem isn't Wagner but Coleby, whose work I don't think is fit to appear in The Galaxy's Greatest.
We never really die.

Last of the V8's

Also it seems we have a 200ad calendar for 2008 priced at £7.99, check out the UK section of Previews. It's on Amazon, no pic but heres a link.

Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/2000ad-Square-Calendar-2008/dp/1847570364/ref=sr_1_15/203-9808231-8192748?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183300016&sr=1-15" target="_blank">2000ad 2008 calendar

The Monarch

Pete Wells

Got to disagree with The Cosh here. I love Coleby's work and think he's an inspired choice for a Mandroid follow up. He's great at doing big stompy robots and battle suit type stuff (he did some stunning work in Rogue Trooper) so I'm really looking forward to it!

Bolt-01

Another coleby fan here, and a calender! Yippee!

Bolt-01

The Adventurer

I think Coleby's a mixed bag. But he does have the heavy black shadowing thing going on that Walker did so well in Mandroid. And Mandroid was one of the best Dredd yarns of the last few years.

Anyway, New Button Man and Cabs has me excited, as does the Simping Detective TP.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Trout

Keen to see new Cabs, and a calendar's a great idea!

- Trout

LARF

I saw Simon Davis pages from the first episode of Stone Island Pt2, at Bristol, and they look awesome!!!

Agree that Kev Walker should have been brought back in for the Mandroid sequel Coleby's work is just too intentionally dark, and slightly too comic for a serious story such as this, plus I always think that if an artist creates a character like KW did with Mandroid they should do the sequel or at least have a say in who does it instead?

Button man, yay!!!!

Bad Andy

--this close-- to cancelling my Meg subscription. I can't be doing with another 3 episodes of Satanus. Maybe I could staple the pages together as soon as they arrive so I don't have to look at them.
Maybe I could pay an extra quid and have a Meg delivered without the offending strip in it.

Simping Det Strip - great.

Return of Cabalistics - wicked

Return of Button Man - coolio (anything mind blwoing happen in Button Man 3 btw? Not read it).

DavidXBrunt

I would have agreed with you on Coleby maybe 12 months ago but his, intentional, stylistic changes have meant that his work is still recognisably individual but much clearer, reads better, and I'm looking forward to more. I'm thinking of the latest Low Life, Sin Dex, and most especially the bravura run on Malone.

Dark Jimbo

Return of Button Man - coolio (anything mind blwoing happen in Button Man 3 btw? Not read it).

All you really need to know with regards to events that may impact the next series is Harry's still in America, and faked his own death at the end to get the voices to leave him alone.

And he's still an ice-cold bastard.
@jamesfeistdraws