MEG 269 - STRIKE ONE!

Started by Buttonman, 03 March, 2008, 05:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

***"Grant Morrisons opinion of Wagner/Grant"

Which was ?***

2000AD was like listening to Radio 4.

Bad Andy

Hang on. We've HAVE seen this baddie before, have we?

Now I'm not sure if that's good or even worse.

TordelBack

Throw in some rhubarb crumble and a naked lady, and you have my ideal afternoon.

Proudhuff

LOL, as an Archers fan with a teenaged laddie, but Hot Chip not HM, I must be the right target audience, having said that I don't think he (Mo)really 'gets' Dredd.

I spent some time wondering what it was I didn't like about the cover and I finally, after a couple of Stellas, decided it was the background. It just keeps drawing you eye, it also reminded me of a Crisis cover but that may just be the chevrons.

Liked the chunkie Dredd but he went a bit skinny later on, not the flashback bit, nice to see Guthrie again, but once again a hanging indent baddie fi Grennie, I would like tham all to appear in one story there-by tying up all those loose ends

he rest I'll read later

Ned Shuffen

DDT did a job on me

Grant Goggans

I can tell that's an insult, but I don't know the context.  Help a Yank out?

Leigh S

Pipe and slippers - basically the uncool, old guard that your dad likes as opposed to his cool cutting edge youth comics.

Funt Solo

Which is fair enough, but now I actually quite like Radio 4, and prefer it to the hyperactive wankathon of Radio 1.

But I still hate the Meg.  Or rather, I hate the fact that it's still so low in quality compared to the weekly.  (It's not as bad as the year of Satanus, but then nothing could be that bad, so it's hardly a measure of worth.)

And what is all this confusion of why the cover doesn't work?  It doesn't work because it looks bloody awful.

The Rennie Dredd doesn't work because we've all forgotten which character was previously introduced and then not used for months/years, before they've now been brought back to introduce another new character (which is basically a human form of the doll from the Saw movies) that we'll not see for months/years.  That's all his Dredd's ever are now: a constant introduction and hint of things to come.  How about just giving us a story with a beginning, middle and end.  (Really, Caballistics has become the same thing: constant promises of what's to come, and that's all.)  He should cut out the middle man and just use this script:

Page 1: Single frame, caption, entire page: "Next Page".
Page 2: Single frame, caption, entire page: "Next Page".
Page 3: Single frame, caption, entire page: "Next Page".
Page 4: Single frame, caption, entire page: "Next Page".
Page 5: Single frame, caption, entire page: "Next Prog".

Save us the trouble of caring.  At least it would be art.

Armitage hasn't changed - it's still what it always was: kitchen sink Dredd - now with life-life relationship squabbles.  Hmmm - just the kind of escapism I really want.  The worst thing is that it keeps referring to things that happened either in 2003 or in 2000 or even from way back in 1995, as if we're still supposed to know or care about them.  The Star Chamber are who?  The guy mentioned at the end is who?  Am I supposed to know?

I'm enjoying the reprint, although it has dated, and the creators were never as good at comedy as they thought or were told.

The Tempest thing is good fun but the art isn't my cup of tea.  I don't have any sympathy for any of the characters, at all.  They're all hateful.  The guy in the white suit is just bland, Tempest himself (for all that this month's one-liner at the end really works well) is just a smarmy dickhead, and the mobster chasing them is a human rottweiler.  Television-heads, ratmen, blah.  I'm not on anyone's side.  That's a problem.

That's it for the comic in the comic, and that's what the Meg will always fail or succeed on for me.  Articles are beside the point.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Hoagy

I liked the Dredd.

It had Guthrie in, a move of location, not only out to sea but I think onto the moon. I'd like to believe that Rennie is centreing on his own set of characters but thanks to Wagner moving through his own back log of detail finalising, Gordon has to break up his stories somewhat.

The untraceable-esque storyline is something I mentioned in the chat room the other week. I feel rewarded in a strange way. Last panel gave me the thought of hoping it would have to be a formidable foe. Maybe cunning is the new Mean.

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

DavidXBrunt

Dredd also had a fantastic colouring job that lifted what was competent, decent art into something atmospheric and aces.

Hoagy

I was going to mention that too.

So fab effective lighting going on throughout. Glad you noticed, fellow north-triber.

Hey, I'm coming to;

http://www.collectormaniagmex.co.uk/general/cg1logo.jpg">
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
Previously Krombasher.

DavidXBrunt

Damn it! I'm not. Been a while now...

Hoagy

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
Previously Krombasher.

ARRISARRIS

...ive read everything Tharg has ever printed but until this issue i really didnt relise McCrea had been in comics for so long, how can somebody so bad make a living out of it for so long???...

philt

because he's a mate of Garth Ennis...

Hoagy

I've never liked Mcrea. He does styles he cannot handle.

I haven't read the interview yet .

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
Previously Krombasher.