Main Menu

Discovered / rediscovered music thread

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 16 April, 2009, 12:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Just last Friday I was introduced to A Sunny Day in Glasgow's rather wonderful mixture of classic emotionlly incontinent indiepop and neo-shoegaze stylings. Like Au Revoir Simone with guitars on top of the synths and the same sense of revelling in melancholy.

Also been really taken with Edinburgh hip hop outfit Young Father's new one. No connoisseur of hustle or flow, but the bendy electronic backdrop is lovely.

PS How about moving this thread mods?
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

This thread really should be moved to the Music section, shouldn't it?  That part of the forum didn't exist when I started it.  Any chance of shifting it up a section, Rich?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

I, Cosh

A couple of things which have knocked my socks off this week.

Squelchy Canadian LNRDCROY has a winning way with a slow snare and the occasional squealing noise which could make him this summer's Blondes.

While Natalie Prass just has a wonderful voice.

So, can we this to the music board?
We never really die.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 17 April, 2009, 03:01:26 PM
Flying Saucer Attack.

Its mostly just a wall of sound of sheets of guitar distortion and feedback but beautiful and melodic and wonderful  turned up loud .Nothing else quite like it.Post/Space rock from Bristol.[Early 90s].
Today, after 15 years, Flying Saucer Attack put out a new record and it is really quite something.
We never really die.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 17 April, 2009, 03:01:26 PM
Flying Saucer Attack.

Its mostly just a wall of sound of sheets of guitar distortion and feedback but beautiful and melodic and wonderful  turned up loud. Nothing else quite like it. Post/Space rock from Bristol.[Early 90s].
Two names from the first page of this thread for those with long memories to conjure with. Now one of them is, quite unexpectedly, coming back.

He might've talked a lot of shite about everything else, but he was spot on here about Flying Saucer Attack.
We never really die.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 05 July, 2014, 02:21:33 AM
This thread really should be moved to the Music section, shouldn't it?  That part of the forum didn't exist when I started it.  Any chance of shifting it up a section, Rich?

As you can see, I don't often look at this thread - but done!

Colin YNWA

Arh and so the last of the traditionalist strongholds falls prey to good organisation. I always liked that this little outpost existed.

I, Cosh

I like this record so much I forgot that I'd already raved about it last week!
We never really die.

Mikey

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 May, 2012, 11:03:51 AM
My teenage crush was Katie-Jane Garside from Daisy Chainsaw, who I am amazed to find on Google is still in the music business. 

I seemed to know a lot of womans in the '90s that looked like her. Maybe it was the Olde English? Anyway, The House of Usher of this parish pointed me in the direction of Queen Adreena a while ago by posting this on social media, so I picked up the album - good stuff.

Recently I have been enjoying La Hell Gang

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Mikey on 13 June, 2015, 02:55:31 PM
Recently I have been enjoying La Hell Gang
I often check in here when going through a music drought. Good tip, Mikey.

I, Cosh

I'm going to Budapest for the weekend at the end of the month. My friends were devastated to learn that a big festival of experimental art and music is starting the day we leave. Having a look through the programme, the awesome/awful name Burning Star Core jumped out at me. One trip to YouTube later I had a new favourite thing.

Haven't been able to stop listening to this in the ten days since. Get ready for the best ten minutes of amplified violin drones you're ever likely to hear.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

While 'Burning Star Core' is clearly an epic band name, of more importance is a salute to The Cosh of resurrecting this once vital thread.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 11 June, 2015, 01:50:16 PM

As you can see, I don't often look at this thread - but done!e

You may also observe that i don't either, despite starting it.. But thanks!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 September, 2015, 02:53:54 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 11 June, 2015, 01:50:16 PM

As you can see, I don't often look at this thread - but done!e

You may also observe that i don't either, despite starting it.. But thanks!

Now I understand.  Initially I thought it was a thread devoted to discovering and rediscovering music, but it's actually about discovering and rediscovering the thread itself!

M.I.K.

Stumbled across this earlier. At first glance the following may appear to be another one of those weird and gimmicky manufactured Japanese bands that have become popular in the wake of Baby Metal. Well, they're not...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uds7g3M-4lQ