Main Menu

How do you like your Sinister Dexter?

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 01 September, 2023, 12:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

I absolutely think so too and that's a gloomy thought.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 05 September, 2023, 02:23:00 PMHe won't have to. Surely a 'Finny is back' reset button is going to get prodded at some point.

This whole storyline has developed with a built in reset button as its gone along. What's interesting is what it will be reset to and I for one am really looking forward to finding out.

Dark Jimbo

Once a favourite strip, I completely went off it at some point during the Moses War. All the really interesting developments were soon wound back ('Dex is dead! No he isn't. But he's paraplegic! No he isn't. But he's lost his ballistic skills! No he hasn't') in silly soap-opera fashion; I soon got bored of Anthony Williams' samey, plasticky art; and the storyline dragged on and on interminably (over ten years!!)

I'm re-reading it all in the Hachette collections (currently nearing the end of Book 6 of 7) and I've totally reappraised this era. It holds together really well, and very few of the former annoyances still annoy me. Anthony Williams' art is much better than I remember it being and the storyline is really engaging when you can remember all the players and their various motivations.* It's definietly worth revisiting.

*One small bugbear - the original appearance of John Croak is not reprinted, which seems a mistep. Not only does it tie into the end of the Offlode min-arc, but all the portentous 'Croak's back from the dead!' doesn't really land as well when we haven't met him before.
@jamesfeistdraws

Funt Solo

Does it win the prize for Strip With the Most Titles?

- Sinister Dexter
 - Sinister
 - Dexter
 - Azimuth
 - Malone
 - Downlode Tales

And that's before you start considering the arc titles.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 05 September, 2023, 03:57:57 PMDoes it win the prize for Strip With the Most Titles?

- Sinister Dexter
 - Sinister
 - Dexter
 - Azimuth
 - Malone
 - Downlode Tales

And that's before you start considering the arc titles.

Don't forget that Vector 13 episode that turned out to be a SinDex story too.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 05 September, 2023, 04:39:23 PMDon't forget that Vector 13 episode that turned out to be a SinDex story too.

Really? Can anyone recall which one? [My nerd-self wants to cross-index it into my A-Z site.]
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 05 September, 2023, 02:57:28 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 05 September, 2023, 02:23:00 PMHe won't have to. Surely a 'Finny is back' reset button is going to get prodded at some point.

This whole storyline has developed with a built in reset button as its gone along. What's interesting is what it will be reset to and I for one am really looking forward to finding out.

Certainly, if the AI has the power to resurrect folk into creepfakes, it must also have the power just to resurrect folk. Presumably, Lilith could also learn this technique - or perhaps deprogram a creepfake to give them back their autonomy. Suzi Nine seemed relatively autonomous.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 05 September, 2023, 06:43:35 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 05 September, 2023, 04:39:23 PMDon't forget that Vector 13 episode that turned out to be a SinDex story too.

Really? Can anyone recall which one? [My nerd-self wants to cross-index it into my A-Z site.]

Not me, I'm afraid. Also I've already spoiled the ending - sorry!  If it's any help the prog had a picture of both JFK and Sinister Dexter by Steve Sampson on the cover.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 05 September, 2023, 10:24:30 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 05 September, 2023, 06:43:35 PM

Not me, I'm afraid. Also I've already spoiled the ending - sorry!  If it's any help the prog had a picture of both JFK and Sinister Dexter by Steve Sampson on the cover.

Ah - it must be JFKed, then. Let me check the prog cover...got it - Caseload #5, Case Eight: JKFed, prog 1070:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

BPP

Sin/Dex is a strip that's heavily art dependant for me - the best stories overlapping with Simon Davis' work (The marriage.., last train..) and certain artists read well together as a collected story but aren't so engaging on a weekly basis (Steve 'The Dude' Yeowell) while it's nadir was one verrrrrry long stretch in the 2010s with a certain artist I'll not name.

Of late it's been in good hands and the whole AI/on the run / Azimuth stuff has been very enjoyable.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Magnetica

I'm still a fan. I like it best when it's given a decent run of episodes, rather than seemingly be used to fill gaps between runs of other series.

Which it is getting now with Azimuth.

I also like it best when there is a lot of interaction with supporting characters like Billy, Rockey etc.

One thing I think is strange, is that even though  the strip has been around for 28 years, I still don't think the character of Dexter has been developed that much / I still don't feel I know him very well.

Blue Cactus

I thought Tracy Weld's character was a bit hard done by. I got quite invested in the character around the time of Dexter disappearing/being in hospital etc and she was assigned to that task force. There as some emotional heft there. I realise that was years ago.  But it seemed like in the long-running arc before Bulletipia (forgotten what it was called she became a kind of non-character. Now she's been turned into a creepfake and I sort of don't mind her trying to kill Dexter because I think he was a bit of a crap partner. Now he's decided he's in love with Hosanna of course which had a few boarders a bit miffed.

Anyway I'm just rambling while I'm at work. I've enjoyed the strip overall in recent years. But I'd agree Dexter (and Finny) as characters have never been fleshed out much, and are basically invincible, so it tends to be the side-characters like Billie I'm more interested in.