Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 22 April, 2013, 05:48:04 PM
If Tom Cruise attacked a kindergarten with a flamethrower, Far And Away would still be the worst thing he's ever done.  Not quite sure why he's suddenly so hated these last few years - I presume I missed a memo.

The Oprah sofa episode was probably the last straw for most folk, though being a gurning tool who believes in 100% bullshit doesn't help his cause.

Recrewt

Yeah, personal issues aside I have seen enough bad acting to think he is actually a pretty good actor and for me the better parts of the film were earlier on when he was on his own going about his work!  There were some good tense moments in that part of the film especially when [spoiler]he was trying to locate the 'drone in a cave'.[/spoiler]

Mind you, I did get confused in the end where [spoiler]he went up in space and was having flashbacks - it looked like in the past they had happily headed towards the alien ship (just before they jettisoned off the crew)??? [/spoiler]

Snuffers

I saw Stoker last night. It's by the director who did Oldboy Park Chan-wook
I was really looking forward to seeing this as I loved Oldboy and this is his first full English film so excitement ahoy.
It's an odd film, Stoker. Not nearly as odd as Oldboy but the pacing just wasn't satisfying. It is slow and I don't mind slow at all but the pacing of it all just felt...odd.
A little disappointed in all honesty.
@NigelSnufkin

Steve Green

Quote from: Recrewt on 22 April, 2013, 06:05:16 PM
Yeah, personal issues aside I have seen enough bad acting to think he is actually a pretty good actor and for me the better parts of the film were earlier on when he was on his own going about his work!  There were some good tense moments in that part of the film especially when [spoiler]he was trying to locate the 'drone in a cave'.[/spoiler]

Mind you, I did get confused in the end where [spoiler]he went up in space and was having flashbacks - it looked like in the past they had happily headed towards the alien ship (just before they jettisoned off the crew)??? [/spoiler]

[spoiler]Well, they didn't know it was going to ravage the planet at that point[/spoiler]

Professor Bear

Quote from: Link Prime on 22 April, 2013, 05:55:26 PM
If Tom Cruise attacked a kindergarten with a flamethrower, Far And Away would still be the worst thing he's ever done.  Not quite sure why he's suddenly so hated these last few years - I presume I missed a memo.

The Oprah sofa episode was probably the last straw for most folk, though being a gurning tool who believes in 100% bullshit doesn't help his cause.

Yeah, still don't get why his HAHA NOT GAY FUCK YOU episode sent most people over the edge.  As for his odd beliefs and the organisation behind them, I don't see the same kind of hate for Liam Neeson because he's a Catholic, or for Snoop Dogg because he's a muslim.

Frank

Quote from: Snuffers on 22 April, 2013, 06:16:28 PM
I was really looking forward to seeing this as I loved Oldboy and this is his first full English film so excitement ahoy.
It's an odd film, Stoker. Not nearly as odd as Oldboy but the pacing just wasn't satisfying. It is slow and I don't mind slow at all but the pacing of it all just felt...odd.

Sorry to hear that, Snuffers. I love Park Chan-wook too, and had high hopes for this one.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 22 April, 2013, 06:36:10 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 22 April, 2013, 05:55:26 PM

Yeah, still don't get why his HAHA NOT GAY FUCK YOU episode sent most people over the edge.  As for his odd beliefs and the organisation behind them, I don't see the same kind of hate for Liam Neeson because he's a Catholic, or for Snoop Dogg because he's a muslim.

Yup. I have always found it strange that in a country we have leaders who openly admit to believing a carpenter who was his own father came back t life 2000 years ago find someone having odd religious to be unusual...

Snuffers

Quote from: sauchie on 22 April, 2013, 06:41:25 PM

Sorry to hear that, Snuffers. I love Park Chan-wook too, and had high hopes for this one.

I think I was just bracing myself for more THRILL due to the content in Oldboy. Stoker isn't bad it's just not great. Maybe he's just dipping his toe in English language film making. If you're as stubborn as me, go and see it anyhow.
@NigelSnufkin

Link Prime

Quote from: Snuffers on 22 April, 2013, 07:53:07 PM

I think I was just bracing myself for more THRILL due to the content in Oldboy. Stoker isn't bad it's just not great. Maybe he's just dipping his toe in English language film making. If you're as stubborn as me, go and see it anyhow.

I'll side step the Cruise / religious debate and throw my 2 cents into Stoker;
I'd broadly agree with Snuffers (it's not Chan Wooks best movie), but I found it fascinating and almost decadently dark. Think 'The Wasp Factory' mixed with a bit of 'Dexter'.
I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

Snuffers

Quote from: Link Prime on 22 April, 2013, 08:30:38 PM
Quote from: Snuffers on 22 April, 2013, 07:53:07 PM

I'll side step the Cruise / religious debate and throw my 2 cents into Stoker;
I'd broadly agree with Snuffers (it's not Chan Wooks best movie), but I found it fascinating and almost decadently dark. Think 'The Wasp Factory' mixed with a bit of 'Dexter'.
I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

Damn fine acting. Was really weird to feel unsettled by Nicole Kidman.
@NigelSnufkin

darnmarr

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 22 April, 2013, 07:04:42 PM
.... I have always found it strange that in a country we have leaders who openly admit to believing a carpenter who was his own father came back t life 2000 years ago find someone having odd religious to be unusual...
[/quote
What Mormonism and Scientology have thought me is that religions are like sausages: if you watch how they are actually made, you can't stomach 'em.

ThryllSeekyr

I watchedGodzilla, the 1998 version.

They should do a sequel for it.

Recrewt

Quote from: Steve Green on 22 April, 2013, 06:18:30 PM
[spoiler]Well, they didn't know it was going to ravage the planet at that point[/spoiler]

Steve - that's what I thought initially but if that was the case why [spoiler]did they suddenly decide to fire off the rest of the crew?  It can't have been their original plan to send them up in space and then fire them into orbit for many years?[/spoiler]

Anyway, it doesn't really matter - I have put up with worse in films - midichlorians anyone?

P.S. - I'm also side-stepping the Cruise / Religion debate!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 23 April, 2013, 12:51:00 PM
I watchedGodzilla, the 1998 version.

They should do a sequel for it.
To paraphrase said film, That's a lot of shit.

Professor Bear

Actually, that was from Jurassic Park - quick, pretend you were being meta!