Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

To find what you are looking for, please search "Thats alot of fish". Thank you.

Mabs

Tron Legacy - and what a bloomin' enjoyable film it was too! I watched the original as a little kid so i've forgotten most of the storyline and whatnot, but not the visuals. That stayed with me into my adulthood. And i thought this was a worthy sequel to the original. The 80's style score by Daft Punk and supervised by Jason Bentley - was superb throughout. Not since Dredd have i been so thrilled by a score, it's more mellow than said film but still entrancing. The actors also did a good job, Jeff Bridges being prime, but Garrett Hedlund was very good as his son 'Sam' and Olivia Wilde was really sassy and cool as 'Quorra', not forgetting Michael Sheen who very nearly stole the show as the Bowie-esque vice lord 'Castor'. Clu was the villain of the piece played again by a 'younger' Jeff Bridges and frankly he again does a great job (and thanks in part to Digital Domain for the visual effects). I thought the younger Bridges or Clu was very well done, much better than the younger Prof. Xavier and Magneto we saw in X-Men 3. But of course the main triumph was the look and design of the world of Tron, and the action set pieces. It does evoke the Matrix films in a way, but more impressive visually. This needs to be seen in the widest screen possible because some of the scenes were eye popping to say the least.

So a pleasant surprise overall, an enjoyable film and one i'm quite certain my boy would love. And it's definitely an improvement on the pile of shite i last saw; Jonah effing Hex.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 21 April, 2013, 04:03:14 PM
Quote from: radiator on 21 April, 2013, 02:10:19 PM
I would say to everyone - avoid The Spirit like the plague. It is mindbendingly awful.
The trouble is I've heard this so many times and completely accept it will be, but need to see it myself so I know for sure and feel entitled to outraged at what they've done to one of my all time favourites.

I know, I know that's so stupid but I know I've got to do it in the end!

I thought I'd quite enjoyed The Spirit for its daftness. Seemed I misremembered that slightly, but I'll still stick up for it as a bit of fun. For the record, I've never read any of the original strips and I utterly loathe Sin City.
We never really die.

Charlie boy

Wow- The Spirit... I remember seeing that at the pictures (I really wish I didn't but the technology seen in Eternal Sunshine... doesn't seem available yet). It really was the final nail in the coffin of Frank Miller's credibility and to be fair, he has hammered a lot of nails into said coffin (in fact, he still insists on hammering those nails in!). So piss poor is The Spirit that during the screening, me and my friend excitedly turned to one another because a cat on the screen happened to look like my cat. Seriously, that's how bad the film is! We felt excitement on seeing a cat on the screen. Try to imagine how poor the scenes leading up to this must have been to have two adults excitedly turn to another over a similar looking feline.
As Radiator has already said- avoid The Spirit like the plague.

michael kennedy

Quoteavoid The Spirit like the plague.

bought it at a carboot for 50p and is pretty dire. best part was the interview with frank miller on the extras bit talking about art and his career. as in depth as i'd have like to have seen in other dvd extras.

and totally agree with mabs about tron legacy.Top film especially on the big screen!

shame kosinki cocked it up with oblivion.

Buttonman

Some laugh free family relations in Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins before some tough sounding but it's not really western action in The Marauders.

michael kennedy

isn't quite the right place for it but just saw it on tumblr and had to share it out.

opening cannes if i'm correct

windng-refn is a genius.

I, Cosh

Saw the trailer for Only God Forgives the other night and forgot to post it on the trailer thread. Looks promising.

Just watched Seven Psychopaths. In Bruges is a pretty hard act to follow and this has it's moments but overall it's far too self-conscious and meta to be really enjoyable. Woody Harrelson was fun.
We never really die.

shaolin_monkey

I just watched Gentleman Bronco on Film 4. Bloody brilliant! So funny. Sam Rockwell did yet another star turn.

michael kennedy

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 25 April, 2013, 12:23:40 AM
I just watched Gentleman Bronco on Film 4. Bloody brilliant! So funny. Sam Rockwell did yet another star turn.

agreed. i think it was made by the same guys as napoleon dynamite.

jermaine clement was also great as sci-fi plagariser...

Tiplodocus

THE NAKED GUN
Watched this with Tiny Tips and by golly it's still a fantastic piece of work.  Sure some of it has dated but as Tiny Tips said "Some of those gags are timeless".  And if you don't like one gag, there's another along 30 seconds later.

I also caught up with SOMETHING ABOUT MARY the night before.  Which, again, was also pretty damn funny.

ZUCKER & ABRAHAMS were definitely the Go TO guys for Comedy in the Eighties. Then The Farrelly Brothers in the Nineties.  And I guess it would be Mel Brooks for the Seventies.

I pity the Noughties with their Scary Movie type comedies, Lazy references rather than jokes.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

I used to look down my nose at those movies, too - then I realised they're merely the movie studios accepting they didn't have to waste their time slaving over something that was going to have an audience that would talk loudly through it and were happy enough just to recognise something every now and then rather than be bombarded with jokes they didn't get.  Meet The Spartans made 90 million dollars, you know.

I have no idea how to review Kamen Rider Fourze the Movie: Space Here We Come! in isolation, but it is basically a film that starts with Catwoman gunning down ninjas and attacking a school bus with an uzi, and culminates with Spider-Man bro-fisting Metroplex on the Moon.  It's like a cheap-looking Doctor Who episode, all energy and running about and sassy/quirky characters saving the day with the power of love, or rather the actual literal power of friendship as characters ask familiar faces from the tv show - including villains - to believe really hard in their bro Gentaro so he can find the power to get back up one last time and save the day.  Completely fucking daft, but very entertaining and not long enough to outstay its welcome.

Radbacker

just got out of Iron Man 3, very very good even if a tad orange and blue.
Lots of Tony out of suit in this one but all worth it, nice kid side kick done in a not too annoying way (in fact best kid side kick since Newt) and finally a big showdown that's not just suit smashing suit (although it does get close).  Some very nice surprises in the bad guy department both Kingsly and Pearce kill it and I even think it has a Prometheus reference! NO real reference as to why the Avengers cant help out but I suppose over all not really as big a threat as an alien invasion.  Good start to phase 3 Marvel now to see how Thor turns out.

CU Radbacker

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 26 April, 2013, 01:13:10 AM
I have no idea how to review Kamen Rider Fourze the Movie: Space Here We Come! in isolation, but it is basically a film that starts with Catwoman gunning down ninjas and attacking a school bus with an uzi, and culminates with Spider-Man bro-fisting Metroplex on the Moon.  It's like a cheap-looking Doctor Who episode, all energy and running about and sassy/quirky characters saving the day with the power of love, or rather the actual literal power of friendship as characters ask familiar faces from the tv show - including villains - to believe really hard in their bro Gentaro so he can find the power to get back up one last time and save the day.  Completely fucking daft, but very entertaining and not long enough to outstay its welcome.

But does it have STARFISH HITLER???!!!

ThryllSeekyr

I just saw The Groods fun for all the family this one, Scary Movie Five, terrible comedy, don't go to see this one and Jurassic Park, a classic dinosaur film, now in 3D.