Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

It seems like a challenge now.  Watch Grave of the Fireflies twice. ;)

Bolt-01

I watched that recently for the first (and probably only tbh) time. It's a good story, but really grim. Reminds me of When the wind blows thematically.

Theblazeuk

Ah god. Saw a clip of when they get into the bags under their pathetic little shelter and it made me so sad and afraid all over again.

Both are great and deserve to be watched, if the world was a happier place I think it would be possible to watch again and again.

HdE

I missed responses to my having watched The Adventures Of Jovovich In Space - or 'The Fifth Elemnt', as the rest of humanity calls it.

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 13 December, 2013, 04:13:53 PM
I luuurrrve the Fifth Element. It's probably the closest mainstream cinema has ever got to portraying the wild inventiveness French comics - Moebiustastic.

I just like it coz it's crazy bonkers barmy! Loads of really neat stuff in there, from the bizarro Mondoshawan aliens to the all-filter cigarettes Bruce Willis smokes. The humour is genuinely funny, too, when characters like Ruby Rod could EASILY tip it over the precipice into the realms of irritating.

The costumes are brilliant too!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Professor Bear

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 17 December, 2013, 11:07:44 AM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 17 December, 2013, 11:03:07 AM
Quote from: pictsy on 16 December, 2013, 07:47:03 PM
Grave of the Fireflies is just heartbreakingly sad.  I've had it on DVD for years but only seen it once as it is far from cheery and can be difficult to watch.

Never rewatched. It's just too sad for me.

Oh god, that film.  :'(  I also have it on DVD, and cannot bring myself to watch it again.  The kids keep asking if they can see it, but I refuse - they're just too young for such distress.

I found Arietty much, much more depressing than Grave of the Fireflies, because it offered no hope for the future, it just told its audience that some things can't be changed so why fight the inevitable?  Why try?
I wouldn't underestimate kids where Grave of the Fireflies is concerned, either, as I've inflicted the film on several younger relatives already and they all enjoyed it.  Younger ones seem to appreciate the poignancy to the two characters being united at the very end and looking out over the lights of modern-day Tokyo, which makes me think that they get the message about the power and importance of hope even if us cynical adults see only a film about some dead kids.

GrinningChimera

The Adventures Of Baron Munchausen.

I never had the chance to watch this growing up. A great adventure for the whole family. I've been a fan of Terry Gilliams work for a long time. And this does not disappoint. There are alot of epic shots as well as some very memorable scenes (including the introduction of Uma Thurman) If you want a good movie you can sit down and watch with the kids, but find the Goonies too shouty and annoying, give this a try instead. A lot of the humor is aimed at adults as well as kids (such as the "feet tickling" scene)

I don't know why It has taken me so long to get around to watching this, but I'm very glad I finally did. 

TordelBack

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 21 December, 2013, 03:42:20 AMIf you want a good movie you can sit down and watch with the kids, but find the Goonies too shouty and annoying, give this a try instead.

Yeah, it really is a good'un.  One of those films that seemed to be on TV almost before it was out of the cinema, that I started into watching some afternoon on the understanding that it was a ghastly flop - and then was completely won over by it.  Absolutely beautiful to look at, warm and funny throughout. Thanks for the reminder GC, don't know why I haven't watched it in so long, but really must remedy that.

von Boom

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 21 December, 2013, 03:42:20 AM
The Adventures Of Baron Munchausen.

I don't know why It has taken me so long to get around to watching this, but I'm very glad I finally did.

I love this film. I think it went over a lot of peoples heads. At least the people I know don't seem to like it. More fools them.

I, Cosh

This all reminds me that I've never seen Baron Munchausen. I guess I should remedy that as I do love The Fisher King.
We never really die.

Ghost MacRoth

Kick Ass 2.

Good film, but suffers the usual sequel issues.  To make it work, they pretty much ignore a lot of the elements of the first film, not to mention elements of it's self.  For example, [spoiler]in the big showdown at the end, all the superheroes and supervillains meet up...and no one brings any guns?? I mean, hit girl still has a room entirely PACKED with uber deadly firearms, so why bring only 2 pistols to the big showdown? 2 Pistols that she gets taken from her almost immediately I should mention.[/spoiler]  Other than that?  A fun movie, just not quite as good as the first.  [spoiler]Although the way it ends, holds a lot of promise for the third one[/spoiler]!  Oh, and Jim Carrey was brilliant!
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Hawkmumbler

I hated the first Kick Ass movie, loathed the first two comic runs and no amount of persuasion can convinae me to give anything bearing the name a try.

Ghost MacRoth

To each their own!  If we all liked the same shit we'd have fuck all to discuss that wouldn't be ....pointless. ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Hawkmumbler

I wasn't having a go at you for likening them Ghosty. Just my five pence. Someone has to enjoy them so I don't have to!  ;)

Ghost MacRoth

I know dude, just sayin', it'd be a dull world if everyone agreed all the damn time! :D

pictsy

I completely agree.

By the by, Baron Munchausen is a great film and a wonderful accompaniment to Time Bandits and Brazil.  Brazil is my favourite of the three.  Bleak dystopia, dark humour and wonderful set designs pushes all my buttons.   ;)