Main Menu

Recent posts

Events / Re: Lawless 2024
Last post by Colin YNWA - 21 April, 2024, 04:48:25 PM
I've loved Thought Bubble in both the Armouries and those couple of years across the City centre. Not been since its been in Harrogate so very interest to see how well that works.

As for Lawless well I have the pss offically stamped BUT that was done just as we were booking a couple of summer breaks so just need to see how I feel in the morning and how financially tender I am.

Meeting folks here, so Barrington Boots that is defo a factor, is the main draw for Lawless. Let's see how a nights sleep does for it all...
Books & Comics / Re: Completely Self-absorbed T...
Last post by Colin YNWA - 21 April, 2024, 04:45:14 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 21 April, 2024, 09:45:09 AMAll thing said, though, for a strip without an official central authority, Dredd does hang together well. And it mostly lacks the revolving door element that can make eg Marvel quite tedious. Much of that is down to the continual influx of new ideas and the single parters/shorts – which KN excels at.

Yeah The set up is so robust and flexible that even with different folks creating it remains solid. Again I think this is an element that Niemand plays into so well. Pushing smaller quieter corner that innovate and create but at the same time do so as to never really interfere with what anyone else might plan to do.

Quote from: Funt Solo on 21 April, 2024, 02:27:56 AMNot sure if Wagner really wants to rule.

It will always be Wagner's prerpogative not to drive the main story and do what he likes. I do wonder how that might work if the so called 'showrunner' idea was put in place. Not that there's any real evidence that this is needed.
Announcements / Re: 2000 AD - The Ultimate Col...
Last post by Marcus Handford - 21 April, 2024, 04:43:15 PM
In a bit of a dilemma with the new Rebellion Strontium Dog vols, they look really nice and under £20 on Amazon, but it means double upping as they are in the UC and also don't really have they space for them, but would I regret this decision later on?
General / Re: Wrap It Up
Last post by Funt Solo - 21 April, 2024, 04:39:50 PM
17 - Let Them Eat Cake

Only twenty progs after the big 500, we got the tenth birthday prog's celebratory cake - which was the other method of honoring prog 2000...

Prog 520's Ten Zarjaz Years! (from 1987, by John Higgins) has a pretty solid line-up of thrills on offer. This is a landmark prog as the paper quality and size made a permanent shift for the first time since the progs 110-128 high quality blip.

---

Prog 2000's Happy 2000th Issue, Squaxx (one of the variant covers from 2016, by Glenn Fabry and Ryan Brown) has everyone throw on a smile (which looks creepy on Dredd) - except for Cyber-Matt, who looks stressed out, and Tharg, who looks egomaniacal.

---

Next: TFIF...
Classifieds / Re: Joe Stepped Off The Train:...
Last post by JohnW - 21 April, 2024, 04:32:05 PM
Bought it this afternoon. Read your story.
Well done, Sharky.
You have brought honour to the tribe.
Creative Common / Re: Cover Puns
Last post by M.I.K. - 21 April, 2024, 01:46:18 PM
Also, first page of thread, I beat you to it with some slight variation, (which makes that cover image sort of apt)...

Quote from: M.I.K. on 27 March, 2024, 03:07:52 PMDredd Retconning

Judge Dredd slowly begins to realise that aspects of his own history aren't quite how he remembers them. No one believes him until Psi Division start picking up on the changes to reality. It would appear that someone has been altering the past, but whom and for what purpose?
General / Re: Mega City Book Club - a ne...
Last post by JayzusB.Christ - 21 April, 2024, 01:42:49 PM
Great stuff - looking forward to this.  I didn't read much Warlord but I had an annual, and the dialogue keeps me and my brother amused to this day.

Random thought bubble: 'Good job I've hidden this knife up my jolly old sleeve.'

There was also a page of facts about WW2, one of which involved a Britsh Tommy asking an Australian soldier what he was soaking his boots in. 'Urine, mate!', was the alleged reply, as if that's what an Ozzie soldier would call it.
General / Re: Mega City Book Club - a ne...
Last post by Eamonn Clarke - 21 April, 2024, 01:02:44 PM
and goggle podcasts link
https://bit.ly/3QbpXg7
Events / Re: Lawless 2024
Last post by Steve Green - 21 April, 2024, 01:01:43 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 April, 2024, 07:54:44 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 20 April, 2024, 05:26:46 PMTB is OK, but I preferred the Royal Armouries

Honestly, I don't — I always felt like something was going on elsewhere that I was missing when TB was in Leeds. Harrogate is engagingly compact... everytime someone messaged me to say they're in 'X' pub/bar/restaurant/hotel I'd Google-Map it and it'd be a five minute walk. The convention itself is well-organised and uses the layout effectively.

TL;DR — I much prefer the Harrogate incarnation. Hopefully, I'll see some of you there this year!

Fair enough - Harrogate is more central, but that extra distance from SW London + not having the central area to escape to swung it for me
Off Topic / Re: Threadjacking!
Last post by The Legendary Shark - 21 April, 2024, 12:22:39 PM

I've just finished watching I, Claudius again (the perfect compliment to Rome) and it's left me with the same fundamental question it leaves me with every time I watch it...

...was Slaine inspired by Peter Bowles?