Main Menu

Prog 1312

Started by paulvonscott, 07 October, 2002, 03:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

Well, Scrap's finished and it had a couple of surprises before it was done.  I have enjoyed it, despite finding it incredibly depressing, and could definitely look forward to more small self contained stories (though not a Scrap 2).

Best thing about the prog however is next week's prog.  Critchlow on Dredd (so I guess it can't be the trial proper) and Red Seas look promising and then there's Asylum, which as the secret readers club hasn't met, I have no idea what to think of it, yet.

And there is an inspriing cover by Jock and we have speech bubble!  I repeat, we have speech bubble!  And all the better for it I say.  Hurrah!  Makes it all come alive for me it does.

sigu

I agree about the Scrap, downbeat in places but excellent. I also thought Dredd was great this week, with the welcome return of PJ Holden on the art.

But next week's cover is by Kev Walker, not Jock.

SiG

paulvonscott

Opps, it's that crinkly style.  And I also associate Jock with Tharg.  Sorry Kev, nice pic.

I thought some of the judges were disturbingly sadistic, but I suppose Dredd's behaviour is justified by the twist.

Wils

I really liked the ending to The Scrap, but it did remind me of the end of Beneath a Steel Sky.

Wils

roystead

OK, finally managed to find time to read this week's prog:

Dredd was ok - not good, not bad. ok.

SinDex was a bit ho-hum. I was expecting more from this hiding-out than was actually delivered after last week's decent part one.

Rogue wasn't bad at all - this retro revamp is shaping up nicely.

All of which brings me to The Scrap. Which I absolutely loved. Not a wasted line, with artwork complementing the tale down to the Gigeresque biomechanical shot in last week's tale.

No spurious sequels, please - quit while you're ahead. And The Scrap was the best new story I've seen in 2000AD for one hell of a long time.

Hmmm...I wonder what Asylum and Red Seas are like...

Oddboy

I found Dredd quite infuriating this week - I really felt the pain of someone turning up on time & waiting to be told to come back another day (I needed to pick up these documents on 05/10/02 which I arrived at 9:30 to be told that you can't pick up documents on a Saturday, come back during the week.  Goits!)
Very happy that Dredd compensated the guy!

I was also expecting something more from Sin Dex this week - it seemed that what happened in thier allotted 5 pages could've fitted into 1 or 2...

Rogue was intreaguing(sp?)... I think I'd better re-read this series before the next installment (Prog 2003 with 'Rouge Angles' I belive)

The Scrap - Wow Brilliant!  I re-read the whole thing in a row last night & it's really good.  Hip hip hurrah! for The Scrap.
A 'Scrap 2' could be possible if it were focussing on different characters in the Scrap, but unless you had a *really* amazing story to tell, it's probably best not to risk spoiling the series.

No letters from boarders (as far as I can tell) this week, bah!

Bring on 1313...
Better set your phaser to stun.

Wood

The Scrap could have been a lot longer.

I've not seen 1312 yet - I'm interested to see exactly how you resolve it in one episode...

ukdane

I can't help wondering how much better The Scrap would have been if some of Spur's word play hadn't been edited!
Cheers

-Daney

Oddboy

Wood - it's a double length episode (so it's the equivilant of a 6 part story).

Art

A 'Scrap 2' could be possible if it were focussing on different characters in the Scrap, but unless you had a *really* amazing story to tell, it's probably best not to risk spoiling the series.

Probably they'd be better off commisioning Si to create something else equaly as good.

I have to say that he's really proved himself here. A few minor quibbles aside (that brainspike thingy seemed a bit too easy) It?s a great debut from him as a writer of serious multi-episode stories. Lets hope we see more of a similar quality form him as soon as is possible.

Oddboy

that brainspike thingy seemed a bit too easy

I'm sure Si could give us the definitive answer, but I'm taking it that the AI (who was immensly clever, remember?) had designed it to be easy as it'd been using it for struggling victims...

Tiplodocus

I thought it was another poor prog.

Dredd was OK, Rogue was OK but I could do without another one-dimensional villain, Sin-Dex was a waste of space and the ending to the Scrap annoyed me becaue up until then I'd been quite enjoying it.

When you read these comments please bear in mind that the last thing I wrote that anybody read was my phone number on a beer mat (and actually, I don't think she read that) so what do I know but...

The Scrap had been going along quite nicely and then the ending just seemed illogical to me in so many ways.  

I'm sure the reasons for these may not be the writers fault and may have been edited out but I read the final episode thinking;

Why hadn't anybody else thought to follow the worm thingy down it's tunnel before?

If the worm thing was really the AI, why did it bother with the charade of the worm thing - couldn't it do pretty much what it wanted?

How handy was it that tossing a badge at the AI destroyed it?

And a spike through the back of the head as an interface?. Vucking shiv - what ever that means!

It was also pretty glum.

On the whole, I'd welcome more attempts at short one-offs like The Scrap though. I was enjoying it up until this prog.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

sigu

"How handy was it that tossing a badge at the AI destroyed it?"

Hey, it worked on Whitey Logan!

damnandblast

"Hey, it worked on Whitey Logan!"

And Rico.

Nigel

W. R. Logan

Looks like you've got me, Whitey...
Judge Killer, weren't you - ?
Here - might as well add my badge to your collection -

10 Years On - Prog 520