Main Menu

Prog 1314

Started by Slippery PD, 21 October, 2002, 07:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slippery PD

I had a brief read through before I came to work.  So this is first impression.

If you didnt read he heading this is a

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

Fun cover.  Well you cant go wrong with Werewolves can you?

Dredd -  Didnt I say you couldnt go wrong with werewolves and yes I was correct.  Werewolf/prager running amok, trying to get back to the undercity.  Dredd chasing after him.  Looks like were going to get another death after we have been reintroduced to Prager.  Personally I hope not.

Asylum - The arts nice but it doesnt quite click for me.  Ill try rereading this later.

Red Seas - Not only do we have zombies and black magic we know have a good witch.  This is like reading an old stor from a bygone age that never really existed.  I really like this and Im not quite sure why?

Past Imperfect - Another Si Spurrier gem?  Nearly.  A neat little tale, nice B&W art.  I liked it, but arent these just a twisted tale future shock terror tale :-)

Sinister Dexter - Once again, thsi flatters to decieve.  The art is good, but I just totally hate the main characters, christ (the oirish one) is there a reedemable feature in there.  If so why cant I see it.

HiEx

Bugger, so SinDex are still not dead yet? Oh well, prog 1315...we can but hope.

HiEx

Art

Another Si Spurrier gem?

Hmm... Personally this is my least favourite Si Spurrier script for some time, and a bit of a weak start to the the Past Imperfect series.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

I'd have much rather seen the Indians chucking the Europeans out and the reaction that got from the rest of the world rather than Custer and his magic stick taking up almost the stip. And the "White Lodge" payoff was a little Steve Mooreish...

Ah, I'm being a little harsh. I'd let him get away with much more if The Scrap hadn't been so good.

roystead

Hmmm....

Dredd - not bad, but it didn't actually move the plot on, did it?

Red Seas - Shaping up nicely indeed. Lovely artwork, crisp dialog (with the exception of one jarring line) and good plotwork. I like it.

Asylum - Also shaping up nicely. Good build on last week's, delicious artwork and the story still has possibilities. Need to see more before making up my mind, though.

Past Imperfect - nice single page story, sadly stretched to (insert actual number of pages here). Not impressed.

SinDex - please kill them now. But keep the one with the cute tail for the time being, cliche though he seems to be so far, he might turn out to be interesting.

Roy

Lebowski

Sinister/Dexter are good again at last. they finally have some plot evolution since Billie replaced nervous rex as th infomation broker in download and the diffinitive artist is back on the strip S.B. Davis.

I do have a feeling that not many people will agree with this though. but please remember, sinster dexter was realy good once, they just need a fresh (good?) angle.

Slippery PD

I do have a feeling that not many people will agree with this though. but please remember, sinster dexter was realy good once, they just need a fresh (good?) angle.

No I agree that SinDex where once good, probably up to the "Downlode Tales" arc.  I thought personally, that they've needed an extended rest for a long time.  Not necessarily Killed off.  But we've been having what have been essentially fillers since then with hardly any plot or character development, just cliche after cliche.  This has essentially bored me stiff to the point where I really dont care for the characters anymore.  As I said Davis's art is good, there is just nothing left to intice me back into these characters anymore.  They just leave me totally cold, I feel this is a feeling that many have.  The recent poll was about 50:50 on this partiicular subject to.  

Personally, I desperately want to like SinDex again.  At one point they and Dante where the only thing worth reading in 2000ad....  Now they are just Crap!!!!

- Yer Slippo  

Lebowski

Mate i agree with all of that last post. They have had just been fillers. But i do love the charaters because i started reading the comic at prog 1000 and it was sin/dex that hooked me soon after.

Perhaps what they need is a fresh writer? I'm up for the same writer on a character as long as they dont stagnate on the characters they write

Slippery PD

Im glad we dont disagree.  As a long term reader SinDex where a breath of fresh air when they appeared, I mean we had the rancid carcass of dead meat et al at this point (roughly).  I tend only to be disapointed in things that have potential and or I have liked previously.  Currently SinDex are a huge disapointment.  

-Yer Slippo  

eggonlegs

"get you nickers off" one of the best lines in 2k for a while!

Puck

I really liked this weeks Prog!

I'm getting to like Asylum, interesting story and the art has really grown on me since last week.

Nothing really happened in Red Seas apart from *that* line, but still it was worth it! :) It looks promising and it's nice to have a strip so different from everything else.

The alternative history part of Past Imperfect interests me and it was a good story to start off the series.

I really liked Sinister Dexter! *gasp*
The new story is actually getting a few chuckles out of me and the art is fantastic imho! I was away from 2000 AD when SinDex was supposed to have gone downhill as a strip. Before I left they were one of my favorites. When I came back I couldn't understand why it wasn't still as popular. Then came that "Deaky Poobar" thing which, in my opinion, was just filler for the comic. I didn't like it - didn't like the "funny" accents of the characters being forced on to me, didn't like the cameos, didn't like the art. I kept an open mind for this story though and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm confident SinDex could be great again if it wasn't used for filler anymore.

Dredd was great, loved the art and the writing! Missed out on Prager's first appearance so it's all a bit new to me but I'm enjoying it.

petemaskreplica

A good prog, but the cover's missing something...

"RRRRAAGGHHHH! PURE THRILL-POWER!"

Go on, admit it, you like it better that way.

Tiplodocus

Liked this PROG as well. All of the comments below are in my head only...

Throroughly enjoying Dredd - I thought the scruffier looking werewolves were (though this may be sacrilege) better looking than Dillon's originals.  

Red Seas is also a good laugh and a much better sword and sorcery setting than your standard barbarians, wizards and semi-naked, melon breasted women type thing (sorry Mr Moore).  You wonder why people don't do this more often - it's make for a great film.

Asylum is solid stuff with the odd good line (Movements?) tossed in but the plot does seem a tad predictable at the moment - here's hoping it tosses us a googlie or two.

Sin/Dex was average at best. Hopefully it has some plot and character development coming rather than the filler we are used to. I am the only person who doesn't like the art, aren't I.

PAST IMPERFECT had a poor start to what was an intriguing proposition.  Obviously, we won't know until we read a few more but I thought the idea was to explore alternate histories. This just seemed to be an average Future Shock type tale.  Here's hoping the rest have a bit more zing.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

almighty mat

Um, I liked the Past Imperfect, I think that a problem with the series is that you're gonna be able to work out part of the twist fairly soon on (Hmm, in real life Custer lost, what could be changed here?), but I thought that the ending was cool, particularly the Red House.

While we're in cowboy territory, did anyone read the Peter Milligan short in Vertigo's Weird Western Tales last year? It was the one about the executive/office worker who started acting like a cowboy. Now THERE'S a good twist.

mat

Trout

"the executive/office worker who started acting like a cowboy"

I've had that with a plumber. Nine hundred quid to move my bath an inch to the left, so it can be sealed properly?

Eat hot photon death, you disgusting plumbing weirdo!

Anyway, I liked the prog a lot too, but the Meg was better, once again.

- Trout

Dounreay

Right, cowboys it is then. Here goes for something else I remember which may never have happened.

I remember years ago reading an alternative history short story about the Indian Wars/General Custer thing in America not being fought on horseback but in World War I type biplanes. The title of the story was a gem.
"They Died  With Their 'Chutes On".

It's the type of thing Howard Waldrop would write. Can't remember the author though. Anybody else remember this or am I going mental?

While we're on Prog 1314.

While The Red Seas is shaping up nicely, am I the only one who thinks Steve Yeowells pirates look a wee bit too camp. These are rufty-tufty sea-dogs not pretty boy sailors. Otherwise good stuff.