Main Menu

Wheel Of Time.....

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 30 April, 2016, 08:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

url=http://www.tor.com/2016/04/28/tv-rights-to-the-wheel-of-time-optioned-by-new-studio-with-jordan-estates-approval/ ]Gets Optioned[/url]

Before I write more than I should, I will state that I've never read these books, but have heard of them when it was made into computer game in pre-internet times and also a table top role playing game. I really hope they don't make the same mistakes in a certain other adaption I've now given up on watching because it just looks like a excuse to party in front of everybody while only most tiny of connections with source material.

I did try to enjoy the Shannara Chronicles.

ThryllSeekyr

So sorry about that.....

Gets Optioned

Before I write more than I should, I will state that I've never read these books, but have heard of them when it was made into computer game in pre-internet times and also a table top role playing game. I really hope they don't make the same mistakes in a certain other adaption I've now given up on watching because it just looks like a excuse to party in front of everybody while only most tiny of connections with source material.

I did try to enjoy the Shannara Chronicles.

Radbacker

Wheel of Time is one of the first epic series I got into and aside from the massive drag with the middle 7 or so books its got a pretty decent original world behind it if they can get that across it might be something worth watching.  But lets just hope this turns out better than the last WOT pilot, sure its somewhere on You Tube but trust me you really don't want to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZOCCEuROPk

oops that's a link to it, maybe you do want to watch it, its got Billy Zane in it after all :)

CU Radbacker

ThryllSeekyr

Yeah, I was watching that before. Didn't even want to link it here partly because, I think you can find it if you really want to see it yourselves and partly out of embarrassment.

Read about that on in the article I linked and how it was almost banned.

Not sure how it hold look, but that was just not inspiring or maybe it was on some level I don't understand.

What really impressed about the novels was when somebody on Tolkien Online quoted something from them...something like I am the Dragon reborn.

That really got my interested enough to read more about it on the wiki, but that was quite a while ago now. I really need a refresher.

Shannara Chronicles... the first series of it.....looks like it's being rerun now. About to start again soon.

Rara Avis

They have announced the casting of some of the main characters:

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/wheel-of-time-series-amazon-rand-althor-josha-stadowski-perrin-marcus-rutherford-1203302153/

I have read all the books and am a bit worried about this. I guess with this and The Witcher I just don't wanr to get my hopes up for a good adaption after GoT. Chronicles of Shannara was just dreadful - fantasy made for teengers who don't read fantasy.

Regarding that pilot episode I read somewhere that the tv/film rights were about to expire so the people who owned them had to use them so they threw together a pilot and aired it on Canada's 7th most popular tv channel at 2.00am. Might give it a watch to see how dreadful it really is.

auxlen

I tired at book 3 but have 4-5 waiting for me to read...i enjoyed it but i thought the female character too interchangeable for my liking and the whole (insert the nun religion thing here trials) a bit dull and over convoluted.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I saw the pilot just after reading the books and quite enjoyed it. Sure, it was made without a budget or care, but it was set before the books (at the time the previous Dragon was going nuts) and had a few nods to the books' backstory.
Lock up your spoons!

Rara Avis

Haha yes Jordan is quite the fan of powerful (read difficult) women.

That actually sounds interesting, I might watch it.

Rara Avis

Hitting our screens on November 19th:

https://youtu.be/UIMkfP4JsxU

I am so excited!

Also scared it might end up like GoT but mostly excited.

Radbacker

Yes I'm waiting, this, The Boys and The Expanse are why I have an Amazon Prime account.  I'm hopeful everything looks good so far (except Perrin is taller than Rand 🤪) it'll be interesting how they depict The One Power on screen as it's quite visual in the books being described as weaving the one power from the preview doesn't look like they have that part down but it may be different when we see it from the characters point of view as only they can see the weaves the normals just see the results.  I do like the casting and can't wait for Nynaeve to tug her braid 😊😊

CU Radbacker

Rara Avis

F**king diabolical!

The only one I'm not happy with is Lan, was really expecting something else. I'd always pictured him looking like the actor who plays Rollo in Vikings but let's hope the actor they've chosen kills it in the role.

Afaik the first season will not correlate to the first book (they won't get to Camelyn until S2) so I wonder how long this is going to go for?

Radbacker

There's a couple of clips out there one of them showing Alan doing his business and he looks good doing it.  I think they are shuffling things about a bit copaired to the books so we get Tar Valon and the White Tower this season with Camlyn next season.  We are also getting ore if Logan the False Dragon in season 1 and I don't think he even got a mention in book 1

CU Radbacker

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Rara Avis on 16 October, 2021, 09:10:46 AM
I wonder how long this is going to go for?

Until people don't watch it, and they cancel it without reaching a conclusion. I mean, it's 13 doorstop books. That could be 26 seasons; so 30 years.

It. Will. Never. End.
Lock up your spoons!

Rara Avis

I thought Logain did appear in Book 1; [spoiler]when Mat and Rand are trying to have a goo at him and end up in the palace gardens and meet Elayne.[/spoiler] Was that Book 1?

Well as long as it stays quality the whole way through; you can count me in. I can't wait to see the Aiel; excitement levels are to the max by 10 squared.

Smith

I liked the books back in the day,but the trailer didn't really impress me. You want the next GoT,we get it, Amazon.