Main Menu

2000ad Clip Studio Paint Template

Started by Narbicus, 20 April, 2023, 06:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narbicus

Hi,

I'm trying to make my own template for 2000ad pages for Clip Studio Paint Pro and wondered if those in the know can advise if this is the best way to do it?

I wish to sketch my rough pencils and layouts in the app, print them out in blue on A3 bristol board for finished pencils and/or inking.

I've followed the advice from Pj

Quote from: pauljholden on 26 November, 2009, 11:27:58 PMPage Size: 30.2cm x 39.43cm (this is bigger than A3 so you'll either need to use bigger paper trimmed, or, do as I do, draw to the edge, scan it in and then draw a little extra on the page in photoshop)

Panel Size (or the Safe Area, in other words - that area of the page that lettering will go into) 26.44cm x 35.79 cm

TRIM Size - if you want to full bleed the art the art needs to be drawn to the page size, but, between the page size and the trim size the art may get chopped for trim.

29.37cm x 38.59cm

-pj

And this is what i've come up with so far -

https://imgur.com/a/ba5ZQw7

Does this look ok? Or is there a better way of doing it?

Cheers :)

Narbicus

302.00 x 394.30 - Page Size
293.70 x 385.90 - Crop marks for Trim size
264.40 x 357.90 - Inner border / Panel size (for Safe Lettering)

If i want this to fit on A3 properly and preserve the aspect ratio could i scale this down further?

pauljholden

honestly as long as you preserve the aspect ratio the size doesnt matter too much.

Jim_Campbell

Without wishing to question PJ's ineffable wisdom and vast expertise, those dimensions seem a little big (to me).

Obviously, PJ will work at whatever scale works for him, but if you want to draw on A3, you could work at "half up" (1.5x printed size), which should definitely fit on a sheet of A3.

Maths bit follows...

Because you're working with area, it's not simply a matter of multiplying the printed dimensions by 1.5, but by the square root of 1.5, which is 1.22.

So, the full bleed area of a 2000AD/Meg page is 216mm x 282mm — half up is 264mm x 344mm

Within that, the trim area (printed page size) is 210 x 275 — half up is 256 x 336 (measure in about 3.5mm from the edge of the full bleed)

And the safe/live area is 190 x 255 - half up is 232 x 311 (measure in 12mm from the edge of the trim)

Pretty sure that will give you the right proportions, but half as big again as printed size, which was the most common size that artists used when 2000AD was mostly drawn traditionally.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

pauljholden

they are big, FOR WHICH I MAKE NO APOLOGY - I'm old and my eyesight is poor and the bigger you draw the tighter those lines get... (as I recall I multiplied my numbers by 1.4 which, because I'm an idiot I thought was 40% larger than print, rather than 50% larger, but I will use your maths from now... this DOES explain why all my pages are larger than I keep expecting them to be...)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: pauljholden on 20 April, 2023, 08:13:47 PMas I recall I multiplied my numbers by 1.4

Yeah, that gets you 2x printed size — the square root of 2 being 1.44 (roughly)... :D

Narbicus

Thanks very much for the replies :)

I made a "half up" (1.5x printed size) but this time made the Image size A3 (600dpi 297 x 420 mm) and
Trim size 256 x 336 mm and added a 4mm Bleed width.

Think it looks clearer as the corner crop marks now match up properly with trim size.

Had to work out that the bleed width should be 4mm by changing the canvas size to 264mm x 344mm and checking they overlapped.

I will print with crop marks for rescanning final pencils/inks as i'm thinking it will help with lining the scans back up with the template for digital inks/colour.

Might try a slightly bigger version to get the max out of A3 sheet as my eyes are getting old too!  ;)

Cheers for the advice guys :)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Narbicus on 21 April, 2023, 05:36:16 AMMight try a slightly bigger version to get the max out of A3 sheet as my eyes are getting old too!  ;)

Three-quarters larger than printed size means multiplying the dimensions by 1.32 (sq root of 1.75), so the full page area would be 285x372mm, which will still fit on an A3 sheet.