Main Menu

Comics for the boys in Afghanistan

Started by locustsofdeath!, 31 January, 2010, 12:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locustsofdeath!

Hey guys, as some of you might know my wife was deployed in Afghanistan for a loooong time. I had been sending old comics to her so she could pass them out to the troops. I plan to keep doing this even though she's home, so if any of you have any old or beat up comic books or even magazines that you'd want to pass on, please contact me and I can either collect them or pay you for shipping them to me. They can be in any condition, as the sand and dirt out there is sure to destroy them anyway.

It's free to for my wife to ship them over there from her military address, so once we have a box-full, we'll send them along. I plan to have the first boxes ready to go by the end of February and send a box a month for as long as I can sustain it.

Many thanks in advance.

W. R. Logan

A worthy cause and well done.

In Cyprus it was a half day walk to get my Prog dodging the rabid dogs on the way.

Nearly as bad as having to walk to the local WH Smiths for some of our northern boarders.

Peter Wolf

I dont have any comics to spare but i do have quite a few music magazines that are recent that i need to get shot of.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Mike Gloady

Great idea. 

Have fuck-all of anything myself, but I'll see what I can come up with.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

locustsofdeath!

Kerrin just donated over 200 old progs! I got them this morning and they're on their way to Afghanistan tomorrow morning! I'll soon have pics of my lovely wife giving them out to the thrill-starved fellows out there and will post them here. Thanks Kerrin - if this is all we get this year, it more than triples last year's effort!

SmallBlueThing

Locusts, pm me your address. I have stuff for you!
SBT

The Legendary Shark

This is the greatest place on the whole interweb.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

locustsofdeath!

Kerrin's glorious donation of 200+ old progs has arrived in Afghanistan. Thrills are now being distributed! I'll post pictures here soon! Thanks again Kerrin!

SmallBlueThing

I have a pile of about a hundred comics (us/uk) sitting beside the bed, but have to wait til i get paid to post them on. Hope you'll still be in the country in a couple of weeks (or did i dream the bit about you moving back to the states?)
SBT

locustsofdeath!

Okay, the forum has struck again!

smallbluething has graciously donated AT LEAST 400 comics - including several old progs, Batmans, Spidermans and of course all kinds of old horror comics. Thanks so much, sbt!

This takes us well over the 1,000 mark when you put together what Kerrin and I already sent - which obliterates what we sent last year. And take great pleasure in the fact that my wife reported that THE GIRLS snap up most of the comics first!

Thanks again guys, if this is all we send over there we've done a fine job. Cheers!

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 13 January, 2011, 11:06:05 AM
Okay, the forum has struck again!

smallbluething has graciously donated AT LEAST 400 comics - including several old progs, Batmans, Spidermans and of course all kinds of old horror comics. Thanks so much, sbt!

What? I did?  :o  There were nowhere NEAR 400 comics in that box, Locusts! Maybe a hundred- was that a typo, or did some glamorous postie (I'm looking at you Ush) add a whole load to the bundle before delivery?

Hope you liked the Deadworlds I shoved in for you though!

SBT

locustsofdeath!

Ah, in my excitement I must have waaaaay overestimated! In any case, many thanks! They'll be forwarded Saturday!

And cheers for those Deadworld comics - I'm going to visit that zombie comic thread later to discuss it!

Tiplodocus

Locusts,

Coukld you PM me with details of how to get these to you.  We'll be clearing out teh house shortly for a big spring clean and de-clutter and I want to send on as much as possible.  Not that I like wars but lions led by donkeys etc. need thrill power sending to them.

cheers
Tips
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

locustsofdeath!

You know, I forgot I started two threads for this - the other thread was a bit more in depth:

Hello guys.

I tried to do this last year with no success, but then I was new to the forum and hadn't met/interacted with any of you. So I thought I'd try again and see how things go.

My wife is soon to be redeployed to Afghanistan. The conditions the she and many of the troops will live in are Spartan at best. One of the worst things about the base is that there is no library - but there is a book/magazine exchange.

Last year I sent all the extra comics and magazines to the exchange (troops get to borrow and read everything for free, but it's based on others donating the material), and asked others to do the same with any comics, mags, books - no matter the condition of the material. I can send packages to my wife for free, so the best would be to send me anything you've got and I'll forward it to her and she'll haul them to the exchange. You'll have to take my word that I will not take anything intended to be shipped to Afghanistan, and that this is not a cheap ploy for me to get my dirty hands on your comics.

It sucks bad enough out there, but at least we can get those guys something to read and take their minds off of all the bad shite going on around them (and keep in mind that a surprising amount of them receive almost nothing from home). PM me with any thoughts.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to peek at this.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 13 January, 2011, 01:43:04 PM
Locusts,

Coukld you PM me with details of how to get these to you.  We'll be clearing out teh house shortly for a big spring clean and de-clutter and I want to send on as much as possible.  Not that I like wars but lions led by donkeys etc. need thrill power sending to them.

cheers
Tips

Will do, Tips! Cheers!