Main Menu

Prog 1681 - Cover Thread

Started by James Stacey, 15 April, 2010, 01:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Stacey

Wasn't that fussed with last weeks cover but this does it for me. Not sure who Ben Willsher is but it's a nice dynamic Dredd right there. Really like the neon'y lighting.
[edit] Just realised he did the spiffy cover for 1678 too. Nice!

Colin YNWA

There's been some very strong covers of late and Ben Willsher has come up with another beaut right there.

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Ah, great to get a Dredd cover again and as you say James, it is very dynamic.

radiator

I take it Sinfield survived the explosion then!

Pete Wells

Hooray, Ben sent me a sneeky peek of that cover months ago and I'm delighted it's finally on the prog, I can't wait to put it on my blog now. I've been lucky enough to see another of his forthcoming Dredd covers and it's an absolute stunner!

There's some ace stuff on his website http://www.benwillsher.co.uk/index.html, especially in the Posters section. Lots of great images for you Dr Who fans too. Oh, and check out his cartoon Johnny Alpha in the Concept Art section, I'd love to see a cartoon of that!

As I said on my blog, I adore his Lawmasters, much better than the horrible out of date boxy affairs of the 70s...

BPP

His chin reminds me of the awful early colby art from the 600 / 700s.  Definitely like the updated lawmaster even if the update itself is a bit post-akira 'new' rather than something totally radically new. Got to say not loving the cover tho the pose and composition are rather good.

actually looking at it more its more the face and badge i don't take to - the gun arm and body are really well done.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Mikey

That's brilliant! It makes me hanker for an animated Dredd - it looks like a still from a feature and great colours.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Colin Zeal

That cover is great. It will really stand out on the shelves.

deanomoon

awesome cover cant wait to get my hands on this.

Bolt-01

Got to say- as much as I like Ben Willshers work- this isn't one of his best.

Look at the size of the Lawgiver- that is waay too big to be strapped to the poor judges leg.I also think the arm holding the gun is too long in the forarm- drop it down and it will hang way lower than his croth (which is the accepted length of an arm)I also think the non- eagle shoulder pad is too high as well. If Dredd was rotated most of his shoulder would be visible beneath.

That all being said- I think the colour scheme is lovely- though it won't win any 'stand out on the shelf' awards and the composition is as competent as you should have on the cover.

Tiplodocus

Your mum accepted something the length of an arm from me last night.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mardroid

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 16 April, 2010, 03:20:26 PM
Look at the size of the Lawgiver- that is waay too big to be strapped to the poor judges leg.

I took that to be a foreshortening thing really. I.e. not to take too literally.

It's exaggerated certainly, but I like it.

I really like that lawmaster. That creature look is great, and really goes with the later years judge helmets with the triangular visor eyepieces*.

*I'm not sure what the proper names for these things are. I'm sure you know what I mean though.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Pete Wells on 15 April, 2010, 03:29:19 PM

As I said on my blog, I adore his Lawmasters, much better than the horrible out of date boxy affairs of the 70s...

...and that's were you fail. It looks like the Stallone version too, double fail.

JOE SOAP

I'm liking this bit of Wilsher cartooning: