Main Menu

Life's so drokking fantastic because (the rebirth)

Started by vzzbux, 22 April, 2010, 08:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 August, 2012, 07:32:33 PM
Quote from: staticgirl on 24 August, 2012, 02:10:23 PMIt works as fast as a weasel on crack now since I reformatted it and refused to put more than about 5 programs on it.

I've gone a bit overboard playing with my little abomination, but it really is fun.  I've scavenged up WiFi and Bluetooth adapters, a monstrous Wacom A3 tablet from the middle palaeozoic, patched in a secondary HD, and have it merrily running the current distro of Ubuntu at a brisk pace.  I'm using most of the same cross-platform opensource apps on a Mac desktop in a temporary storage place I'm working in, and on an old PC laptop I use for mobile work, and they're all synced through Dropbox, and double-backed-up in turn on Ubuntu One.  I'm now happily hopping from one to the other depending on where I am and picking up exactly where I left off.  It all seems frightfully modern to my smart-phoneless mind, it's been mildly educational (Linux was a revelation - great stuff altogether, and it really is just like Unix), and more importantly, it's entirely free.

My next project is rehabilitating a huge Windows server which I had partly cannibalised before I realised that there was a full-clone backup HD left in there that worked fine, so all the server software is still there.  I'm sure I'll find a use for it.

about one  word in three of that made any sense to me.

I'm jealous of people who actually know how these things go together. I'm just a slave to pre-built things and Windows.

Tombo

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 August, 2012, 09:11:58 PM
about one  word in three of that made any sense to me.

I'm jealous of people who actually know how these things go together. I'm just a slave to pre-built things and Windows.

I'm the same.  Whenever my mate talks about one of his home built computers it sound to me like the teacher from Charlie Brown.

exilewood

"Pre-built things with windows" - that's houses isn't it? Right?

DoomBot

Quote from: staticgirl on 24 August, 2012, 02:10:23 PMIt works as fast as a weasel on crack now since I reformatted it and refused to put more than about 5 programs on it.

I've gone a bit overboard playing with my little abomination, but it really is fun.  I've scavenged up WiFi and Bluetooth adapters, a monstrous Wacom A3 tablet from the middle palaeozoic, patched in a secondary HD, and have it merrily running the current distro of Ubuntu at a brisk pace.  I'm using most of the same cross-platform opensource apps on a Mac desktop in a temporary storage place I'm working in, and on an old PC laptop I use for mobile work, and they're all synced through Dropbox, and double-backed-up in turn on Ubuntu One.  I'm now happily hopping from one to the other depending on where I am and picking up exactly where I left off.  It all seems frightfully modern to my smart-phoneless mind, it's been mildly educational (Linux was a revelation - great stuff altogether, and it really is just like Unix), and more importantly, it's entirely free.

My next project is rehabilitating a huge Windows server which I had partly cannibalised before I realised that there was a full-clone backup HD left in there that worked fine, so all the server software is still there.  I'm sure I'll find a use for it.

Welcome to my world. I have 3 such cannibalised PCs, two of which are from 10-12 year old parts. Although i still use Windows for photoshop I would say that Windows is a lost cause for old computers. Linux all the way.

Dandontdare

staticgirl

Quote from: DoomBot on 24 August, 2012, 10:53:58 PM

Welcome to my world. I have 3 such cannibalised PCs, two of which are from 10-12 year old parts. Although i still use Windows for photoshop I would say that Windows is a lost cause for old computers. Linux all the way.

Yeah if I wasn't wedded to Photoshop I'd Ubuntu up my Frankenputer. I have it running XP and PS7, a PDF creator, one browser which I don't really use and that's it.

von Boom

My missus spilled her tea into my macbook keyboard. After several hours of drying and praying it lives. IT LIVES!

Dandontdare

'cos I just spent the whole afternoon in the pub with John Wagner, Steve Yeowell and Sean Philips. Good to see Fatboydale and Spireite68 too. What a top day!

staticgirl

I'm not jealous I'm not jealous I'm not jealous I'm not jealous I'm not jealous I'm not jealous
I'm not jealous I'm not jealous I'm not jealous I'm not jealous I'm not jealous I'm not jealous
I'm not jealous I'm not jealous...

I'm jealous

COMMANDO FORCES

I brought the Law to London yesterday and it seems as if all the police are going to see DREDD :thumbsup:

vzzbux

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 02 September, 2012, 12:06:57 PM
I brought the Law to London yesterday and it seems as if all the police are going to see DREDD :thumbsup:
Got my Bro in law to pass the word onto his bobbie mates.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

esoteric ed

Trout

Quote from: esoteric ed on 02 September, 2012, 11:35:36 PM
I'm on the new Blu ray release of JAWS  :)

Ed

Bloody hell, Ed! You're a human necropost! Where the hell have you been?  :)

Also, hello.

esoteric ed

Hello back young fella, I still look in here regularly and I'm looking forward to seeing that movie on Friday,  :D hope you're well.

Ed

TordelBack

Hey Ed, good to see you around again squire.  I was telling the missus all about your adventures in Martha's Vineyard Amity and Jawsfest when we went to see Jaws in the cinema the other month, she was most jealous.