Main Menu

The Thing (2011)

Started by Goaty, 06 October, 2011, 10:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

It out in a week, here the clip, it looks good as paranoia still there, and Norwegians as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0B91XUe2X0

Goaty

As it out this week, nice of Dark Horizons to send out this trailer of The Thing (1982) to remind how good the old was....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGyP4t2iZhg

SmallBlueThing

The Carp original (i think at this point we can gloss over the Hawkes version) is newly available in supermarkets countrywide in shiny new packaging (literally, all silvery), for a fiver.

Anyone who doesnt have it can therefore go someway towards righting such an obvious wrong, by buying it when they next pick up their hotdogs, chips, pizzas and twinkie bars. Or whatever it is comic nerds eat.

SBT

Buddy

I'm wondering if any cinemas will have the smarts to show the Carpenter flick after the new one in a double bill.

I'm quite looking forward to this, even if it is pants I can go home and watch the other one.

brendan1

Quote from: Buddy on 10 October, 2011, 03:20:11 PM
I'm wondering if any cinemas will have the smarts to show the Carpenter flick after the new one in a double bill.

I'm quite looking forward to this, even if it is pants I can go home and watch the other one.

Perhaps an arthouse or independent might do it - would they need an original reel?
Do they even exist anymore?! Or would it have to be digital?

Don't think any major chain would bother, as double bills aren't popular and the majority of people who go and see the "new" one probably aren't interested in seeing both, especialy back-to-back.
Possibly a one-off midnight screening, when nobody else is about.

COMMANDO FORCES

I would presume that would all be down to money. Why would a picture house want to show two films for the price of one (unless they charge more), when they can make more by showing the new one twice!

SmallBlueThing

R rated in the states, and receiving fairly good reviews it seems.

15 rated over here- coming 2nd December.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/AFF281896/

SBT

Mangamax

Any film shown ever (almost) in UK can still be shown in cinemas, its just that if you're talking 35mm, you're talking a lot of the time potentially ropey prints as only a few are kept (Carry On Sergeant i showed once was VERY dodgy)
You can actually hire one yourself and its not actually that much to hire a print, the cost goes up when you factor in your cinema charging the cost of the auditorium, which as a general rule is the loss of takings for whatever film they'd be pulling to allow for yours.
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

SmallBlueThing

Carpenter's Thing is showing in Canterbury sometime soon, according to the Odeon website. The new one isnt listed yet.

SBT

Mangamax

Yup, that's my old site. They're doing real well with weekend midnight screenings of cult films - Scarface, Aliens, Top Gun, Godfather, Goodfellas etc - and i wish we'd been doing them when i was there.

Christov

A double bill depends entirely on the cinema, really.

More than likely the Electric in Birmingham will run a double feature due to it having digital projection facilities, so essentially they could just stick the blu-ray of the original on instead of spending forever hunting down a print.

Mangamax

Showing a DVD via a cinemas Digital Projector sure is a piece of piss.
But its complicated - commercially bought discs are not for public viewing and rights have to be sought. you'd think that'd be easy, but it ain't.

Christov

Studios wouldn't be massively unreasonable though, at least in theory. The people who make those decisions are usually dicks though.

The Electric got the rights to show Robocop from whomever is juggling MGM properties right now, and the poor sods that had the misfortune of publishing The Room. They've had luck in the past getting all sorts of films on including The Godfather and Apocalypse Now to coincide with the blu-ray releases, so who knows?

SmallBlueThing

Ive just had a conversation with a very old friend, who saw this last night (by possibly extra-legal means). He's a very intelligent, longtime horror fan, who holds carpenter's film in the highest regard, and he says:

"It's brilliant! yes, there's some cgi, but it's ALL in the Bottin style, and it really works as a prequel and not just another remake. Against all odds it's a beautifully crafted homage to the carpenter film, and possibly my favourite film of the year."

So there you go!

Out here next week.

SBT

I, Cosh

The Carpenter original had a cinematic re-release a year or so ago. I saw a fairly packed screening at my local Cineworld (not the arthouse cinema which also does the late night cult thing) so there are definitely top quality prints out there.
We never really die.