Main Menu

Started by Keef Monkey, 27 August, 2012, 11:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

There's probably a thread for this but I can't find it...

Watched the first 4 seasons back in the day and then drifted from it, but because Lovefilm Instant has it and because as episode fits comfortably into a lunch hour I've been watching season 5, and it's epic.

It's over the top, occasionally madly so, but I'm really impressed with the writing chops it must take to try and sustain and escalate a scenario over 24 episodes. As silly as it all is it's really quite brilliant entertainment.

Oh, and I actually cried at one point during this season (luckily I wasn't watching that one at my desk). I know, I know, I never thought 24 could do that either, and it probably can't unless you're an emotional trainwreck like myself, but it happened. So there.

strontium71

One of the best shows I ever watched. Only series 5 , you say? There are some blinders coming up in the next 3 series for you. Forget John McClane - how can the same shit happen to the same guy EIGHT times??
I was really sad when it ended - to know there wouldn't be any more series made. But there's always the possibility of the film version.
...because I hate you.

Keef Monkey

Just watched the season 5 finale, that's a solid hour of heart in mouth drama right there! As far as season finales go I'd struggle to think of many better. Had planned to watch something else before jumping into season 6 but there's no chance of that now.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: strontium71 on 27 August, 2012, 11:36:44 AM
One of the best shows I ever watched. Only series 5 , you say? There are some blinders coming up in the next 3 series for you. Forget John McClane - how can the same shit happen to the same guy EIGHT times??
I was really sad when it ended - to know there wouldn't be any more series made. But there's always the possibility of the film version.

The BEST show, strontium dude - in my opinion - and there are indeed some blinders coming up in Seasons 6, 7, and 8, not to mention the television movie ...Redemption  that bridges 6 and 7.  The much-criticized sixth season has more than a few rough spots, but is still better than most series' then or now, but the show regains it's form after that and never looks back. 

The script for the movie is finished, and has been since spring, but production on the movie was pushed back to next April or May, the reasons for which are, depending on who you ask, either because FOX dragged their feet in greenlighting the pic and didn't want to spend more than a miserly $30m on it whilst Kiefer Sutherland and Imagine Entertainment wanted at least $45m, or alternatively the script wasn't finished until late and by that point they didn't have sufficient time to cast, prep, and ready the movie for production when Kiefer finished filming on his Touch  television series... I believe the former account, and worse, had they shot it this year, the 24 movie would have been directed by Antoine (Training Day ) Fuqua, which would have been fantastic, but evidently 'twas not meant to be...

Maybe I should start a thread on totally ace new series Person of Interest now showing Tuesday nights on Channel 5... from Jonah (bro' of Chris) Nolan, no less, and is already top-notch, two episodes in...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.