Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackmocco

The idea is Slo-Mo slows your perception so much that you can escape from real life for what seems like hours even though in real time, it's probably just a quick hit. It doesn't speed up your reflexes. How could it? You're essentially living time at a different speed than reality. I would assume getting your jollies while on Slo-Mo's probably a pretty great experience if it slows down time so something that lasts fifteen seconds and two crooked humps, in my case, would go on for seemingly hours.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Goaty

It's different way of getting high.

Mudcrab

Quote from: blackmocco on 07 September, 2012, 11:05:03 PM
The idea is Slo-Mo slows your perception so much that you can escape from real life for what seems like hours even though in real time, it's probably just a quick hit. It doesn't speed up your reflexes. How could it? You're essentially living time at a different speed than reality. I would assume getting your jollies while on Slo-Mo's probably a pretty great experience if it slows down time so something that lasts fifteen seconds and two crooked humps, in my case, would go on for seemingly hours.

Absolutely. In that respect, Slo-Mo is very much like acid. I don't want to labour that point but it is and it's an appeal that isn't apparent to the outsider. Like anything, we've all seen people stagger up the road out of the pub, where's the appeal in that? At the time, everything.

Another thing mentioned that I loved was the huge Wagner & Ezquerra credit. That's respect  :)
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Goaty

Quote from: Mudcrab on 07 September, 2012, 11:11:02 PM
Another thing mentioned that I loved was the huge Wagner & Ezquerra credit. That's respect  :)

Yep as they were sit next to me at the preview screening last week, when it appears, that was so amazing moment, both were smiling :) everyone were cheerings!

Dandontdare

one of the newspaper reviews described it as "a narcotic whose only function seems to be to make gunfights look really cool". I guess the euphoria must be implied, otherwise it'd be a crappy drug, so fair enough.

My main issue though was that plot-wise it could've been any drug, slo-mo seemed to only be there as a thinly-veiled plot device to show off cutting-edge SFX techniques, and that's never a good idea for the longevity of a movie - Like those early 3d movies that always included contrived scenes of things coming out of the screen for no reason.

Mudcrab

Quote from: Goaty on 07 September, 2012, 11:14:02 PM
Quote from: Mudcrab on 07 September, 2012, 11:11:02 PM

Yep as they were sit next to me at the preview screening last week, when it appears, that was so amazing moment, both were smiling :) everyone were cheerings!

That's brilliant  :D I'd say I was jealous but that's wrong, really happy for you and everyone else that got to meet them all!
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Beeks

Loved it!

With regards to Slo-Mo giving fast reflexes why would it?

It's like any real illegal narcotic..used to take you to another place

Cannabis..if you smoke enough..Ketamine..completely alter your perception of the world without super powers  ;)

There was a lot I'd managed to avoid in spoilers..the Crooked Judges were a pleasant surprise..thought Lex was good

Lawmaster looks much better than I thought..the chase scene and beginning was probably my favourite bit!!

Just wish it had a bigger budget..I love Garlands vision of Dredd..I just pray it has the opportunity to expand
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

thejudgemuffin

Well to all who experienced that today after all those years of waiting...

Goodnight. Sleep tight. Don't let the Dreddbugs bite!!!

exilewood

As with any drug we use recreationally - it's used to make enjoyable things more enjoyable - try to imagine fucking on slo-mo & voila.

Anyway - just came back from the film.

Firstly - never seen a 3D film before & I never will again. Bloody useless. Hated 3D.

On the positive side, it was quite fun.

It wasn't really Judge Dredd though.

It wasn't funny.

Anderson wasn't Anderson. The name & the fact that she's Psi were the only similarities.

Lots of cool nods to the comic. That was groovy.

I'm gonna have to see it again in 2D, really.

It was good. Not great.

SBT will hate it.

Goaty

Well, glad not sit next to exilewood!  :lol:

Mudcrab

Quote from: Beeks on 07 September, 2012, 11:21:42 PM
Lawmaster looks much better than I thought..the chase scene and beginning was probably my favourite bit!!

Yes! They were fantastic! All the way home I was imagining I was on a Lawmaster  :lol: Luckily I drive a boring Golf and not a GSX-R or something  :D

On the Slo-Mo thing reaction time thing though? This one time (lol) I came home from a night out and utterly smashed my mate's Soul Calibur survival mode record. Seriously, we were both hovering around 8/9 and I got to something like 18. No coincidence!  ;)
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Beeks

Oh and my fave line was definitely

Young Perps: Freeze!

Dredd: Why?

Classic  :lol:
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

pauljholden

It wasn't really Judge Dredd though.

Disagree, that dude was Judge Dredd. Hard as nails, not much with the talking and pretty damn scary. Maybe not a specific dredd you have in your head, but I reckon they nailed it (the only off note for me was the 'hotshot' which felt like a throwback to 'double whammy' - so much so, that when dredd says 'two way split' later in the movie, I thought "Oh no! it IS a double whammy".

It wasn't funny.

I thought there were a lot of funny lines in it - black humour, obviously, but funny. [spoiler](Dredd throwing the #2 guy out the stairwell and turning his back and walking away was pretty funny)[/spoiler]

Anderson wasn't Anderson. The name & the fact that she's Psi were the only similarities.

Again, disagree. I think this was a spot on anderson / dredd dynamic. Much closer to how they are together in their early days - and maybe this anderson is less confident - but that's a thing she becomes.

I loved it. Halfway through I actually started thinking "shit, this may actually be a fucking great movie even ignoring the fact it's about Dredd".
-pj

Dandontdare

Quote from: exilewood on 07 September, 2012, 11:24:36 PMIt wasn't really Judge Dredd though.

It wasn't funny.

I see your point but disagree - I think it was more important to show the serious side of Dredd initially ... but I would like to see a little more mega-city craziness in a sequel.

Beeks

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 07 September, 2012, 06:12:02 PM
Quote from: W. R. Logan on 07 September, 2012, 05:39:25 PM
Kermodes review is online:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/kermode

Don't understand what his problem with the 3D is, it looked spectacular and really added to the film, unless his own eyesight has a problem with it like some others.

To be honest I don't think the 3D added to it at all..it just ended up making my eyes go funny

It would have stood up just as well in 2D IMO