Main Menu

Doctor Who - A Town Called Mercy

Started by Goaty, 13 September, 2012, 04:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Here the teaser poster for this Saturday!

Professor Bear

Thanks to insomnia I actually watched the episode of Battlestar Galactica this episode is based on the other night, and it's still daft fun.  It's hard to go wrong with this kind of mish-mash, and I even recall an old Star Wars comic that had a similar premise that ended with Chewie in an interspecies three way.

Dude's a fuckin pimp - beat that, DW!

Mudcrab

Heh, when I saw the trailer for this one all I could think of was Kryten from the Gunmen of the Apocalypse episode  :) Should be fun though, there's never been a western episode has there, though my experience only goes as far back as Tom Baker?
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Mudcrab on 13 September, 2012, 04:53:16 PM
Should be fun though, there's never been a western episode has there, though my experience only goes as far back as Tom Baker?

William Hartnell did it.
@jamesfeistdraws

exilewood

Mudcrab

Cheers. One of these days I'll catch up with the older ones.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Charlie boy

My digi-box has just gone and stopped working on me, so I swapped over to the "emergency" one I was given a few years back. I was happy at first, seeing as it picks up more stations than the one I'd been using, but then I found out that every now and again the sound cuts off. Only for a second or so, but I can still miss something important in that second. Seeing as Dr Who is the only show on television I'm actually interested in watching at the moment and we're already nearing the end of this recent series, I'm not very happy. The original digi-box was still picking up BBC1 (it was one of the few channels it was still getting) so I'm guessing every Saturday is going to see a box-swap-around for the next couple of weeks. I know it's a relatively easy enough thing to do but it's going to be a right pain in the arse.

JamesC

IGN review of this episode is up already. Not sure how they wangled an advance screening!

Beware - spoilers!

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/09/15/doctor-who-a-town-called-mercy-review

Zarjazzer

Quote from: JamesC on 15 September, 2012, 11:12:25 AM
IGN review of this episode is up already. Not sure how they wangled an advance screening!

Beware - spoilers!

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/09/15/doctor-who-a-town-called-mercy-review

I was a bit concerned as it seems very similiar to an episode of Battlestar Galactica (the first one)-a cylon rather than cyborg gunman on th e loose in western tahn,  however I'll be  watching.Ben Browder always gives good value IMHO so it's another plus.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I'm impressed with the three episodes of Dr Who so far. They are just what my 7 year old wants.

Daleks! Dinosaurs! Cowboys!

This is what Saturday telly should be about. This is what Dr Who is about. Something mildly scary for Dads to enjoy with the sprogs (beer in hand, ideally). With a pretty lady to make up for plot holes, and enough action to make the sprog sit on the edge of the seat.
Lock up your spoons!

Goaty

Goaty

Charlie boy

I didn't really like the episode but as Dr X mentioned, his 7 year old liked it and I'm guessing my younger family members would also have. I do try to remember (for such episodes) an article I saw some months back where somebody said the BBC consider their target audience for Dr Who to be 7-13 year-old kids and be thankful for the more "young audience but also above" episodes that come along. Two episodes remaining so I'm guessing both to be works of Moffat and so will be for the youngsters and us oldsters.

Danbell

I thought it the best episode of the series so far. Reminded me a bit of 'Firefly'. I'm liking the idea of a vengeful Doctor!

Richmond Clements

Smith was brilliant as always, but they really have run out of things to do with Amy, haven't they? Pity that Rory has to go when she does.
The plot was a bit by the numbers and, for want of a better word, mechanical, but it was fun.