Main Menu

Wagner & Kenny Who?'s Boba Fett stories

Started by Grant Goggans, 29 May, 2013, 01:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Goggans

Several months ago, I picked up Dark Horse's Boba Fett Omnibus.  I'd heard that some of our favorite droids had contributed to these comics, and a quick page-through showed Ian Gibson and Carlos Ezquerra, along with some... lesser models.  There's about 110 pages of a story called The Yavin Vassilika.  Good story by Mike Kennedy, but the art, by Carlos Meglia... I did not think that my eyes would ever recover.

But then there is "Death, Lies & Treachery."  It's 140 pages of absolutely prime Wagner and Cam Kennedy.  I'm about halfway through the story now and I have been laughing my head off.  This is completely terrific, over-the-top, Robo-Hunter-level situations spiraling out of control, space pirates getting eaten, crazy super-technology, brilliant character designs, just A+ work across the board.  This is a MUST for anybody who loves 2000 AD... the other Wagner/Gibson/Ezquerra stories are also really good, and, Meglia's artwork aside, I've enjoyed everything else in the book, but damned if "Death, Lies & Treachery" isn't one of Wagner's very best stories ever.  I had to pause reading it just to share with you guys.

Since Dark Horse lost the Star Wars license, there may not be many reprints coming, or copies floating around, so go track this book down NOW while you still can!

ming

Jim_Campbell

£10.78 second hand on Amazon. Ordered one...!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Trout

Thanks for the recommendation, Grant. I'll put it high on my list.

I recently bought the Kennedy-drawn Dark Empire series and marvelled at its beauty.

Link Prime

Quote from: Trout on 29 May, 2013, 02:35:07 PM

I recently bought the Kennedy-drawn Dark Empire series and marvelled at its beauty.

Some lovely work by Cam in that alright.

I think I only read two of Wagner's Boba Fett stories back in the day, will be well worth getting the collected edition.

Colin YNWA

I on the other hand didn't particularly like it and as such its on my 'to sell pile'. If anybodies interested, based on Jim's price (the one he bought it at) I'm happy to part with it for a tenner plus postage? BUT its in storage at the moment, getting liberated Friday (with any luck).

Grant Goggans

Oh, Colin.

Is there no end to your wrongness?

Daveycandlish

Colin - if it ain't already been claimed I'll go for it at that price!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 29 May, 2013, 04:33:23 PM
Oh, Colin.

Is there no end to your wrongness?

I worry that I do it now just to contradict you Grant!

I did like the Shadow of the Empire Omnibus, well enough of it to keep it anyway, if that provides any redemption?

Hawkmumbler

Ta for the reccomendation. Consider it approved.

HdE

Being of the opinion that Boba Fett is one of the few things about Star Wars that is still genuinely interesting, I picked that omnibus up a while back.

Yup, it's the dog's. Absolutely lovely stuff from cover to cover, and it's great to see how much of John Wagner, Ian Gibson and Cam Kennedy there is in there.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Bazooka Joe

Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered a copy of this. I was having a look at my Dark Empire books the other day so any other Cam drawn Star Wars will be great. I had just lent them to my nephew, I'm enjoying steering his comic choices towards my own :D

ming

While we've got a non-2000AD Wagner / Kennedy comics recommendation thread, some of you might like to track down the 12-issue Outcasts series (DC, 1987): Wagner, Grant, Kennedy (inked by someone else but not badly as far as I recall).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outcasts_%28DC_Comics%29

Probably pick-up-able cheap on eBay, e.g.: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outcasts-1-12-VF-NM-complete-series-alan-grant-john-wagner-dc-comics-set-/380649843030?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item58a07fa956

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: ming on 30 May, 2013, 06:53:31 PM
While we've got a non-2000AD Wagner / Kennedy comics recommendation thread, some of you might like to track down the 12-issue Outcasts series (DC, 1987): Wagner, Grant, Kennedy (inked by someone else but not badly as far as I recall).

Yeah, it's solid Wagner/Grant fare, with a lot to like. Cam (ISTR) hated the inking but it seemed to settle into some vague understanding of what Cam was putting into the pencils and I didn't think it was too bad, either.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Outcasts is an absolute favourite of mine, I bloomin' love it. Well worth tracking down. Its a 2000ad story but given the space of a 22 page 12 issue series, which gives it a very different pacing, all be it class Wagner sensibilities.