Main Menu

Why and when did you stop reading 2000AD?

Started by japandroid, 13 October, 2014, 09:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halo572

I have been reading since prog 227, 29th August, 1981 and with a complete set of progs, Megs and annuals.

I currently back buy every 2-4 weeks and am actually 9 months behind on reading, at least 12 on the Megs.

But, I can't ever see not collecting and eventually reading as long as the print copy is produced.

I don't think that there has ever been a time when I would have considered stopping the weekly, but the Meg I have thought when it was the Preacher reprint period and a couple of years ago with the film reviews and articles on pirates.

In the absence of when it should have been rightly cancelled I kept that up as well, but at least it has improved although it is too expensive.

After 33 years I don't think it would be possible to stop reading, 2000ad is so integral to my life that it is a ritual.

It doesn't matter that I was a year behind a couple of weeks ago, I go and buy the issues as a designated job to be completed, bag, board and box them and know that I have them.

I don't think I could have an incomplete set, I have been collecting for too long.

Although I did have a clear out of reprint titles last year as they were 2 boxes full and I couldn't justify the space for reprints.

Tjm86

Embarrassed to say, a couple of non tooth seasons ...

Switched to Starlord when that came out.  Annoyed at the Newsie in Northwood having missed a couple of issues (the printers strike) and impressed with Starlord.  Parents made us choose.

Mam banned it in the early eighties.  Did not like Nemesis at all.  A season of Eagle and Battle ...

Trouble getting it at Bruggen and then Mount Pleasant ... started probably the longest non tooth season ...

Started picking it up with the start of the Pit.  Like a long lost friend it embraced me from my long years of wandering.  Never looked back since.

IronGraham

Quote from: Tjm86 on 24 October, 2014, 07:41:11 PM
Embarrassed to say, a couple of non tooth seasons ...

Switched to Starlord when that came out.  Annoyed at the Newsie in Northwood having missed a couple of issues (the printers strike) and impressed with Starlord.  Parents made us choose.

Mam banned it in the early eighties.  Did not like Nemesis at all.  A season of Eagle and Battle ...

Trouble getting it at Bruggen and then Mount Pleasant ... started probably the longest non tooth season ...

Started picking it up with the start of the Pit.  Like a long lost friend it embraced me from my long years of wandering.  Never looked back since.
I've been reading those post pit 2000AD so good especially with the introduction of Mr Dante
We're werewolves not swearwolves

ZenArcade

My re-read would tally with what you say IG, the prog did become markedly better after the Pit (which by the way is only being bettered by the latest Dredd in the current Prog); this high praise is not however extended to Sinister Dexter and a lot of the Slaine storylines in the 2000's.The difficulty I had with the prog, along with many other readers, was the period from roughly prog 730 up till 960, when the prog was virtually unreadable and this coupled with the film, was a double whammy, which just totally alienated me. I have the greatest respect, however, for those who stayed the course. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Emp

Never stopped...just no longer get it weekly. Read my progs yearly. They get saved up an and i read them in a matter of days. I can do this simply because it has been many many years since i have wanted to read every story in an issue. Sometimes the art puts me off or the story,if after a few issues it just isn't for me, and so i find myself reading Dredd and one or two others. Hard pressed to remember the last time i read every story in 2000ad...that might be cus i only read em yearly.

Judge Brian

The first time I stopped was because my local shop stopped carrying it. The second time I stopped was because the distributor had a hard time getting every prog. 

Adamskilad

I started reading on a weekly basis from 750, buying up back issues back to the late 500s. Stopped reading in the early 900s. 2000AD felt like it was going downhill, with sub-standard stuff like WIREheads and The Corps and Timehouse and VERTIGO was a-calling. Came back intermittently, lured by The Pit, then the return of Nemesis and a few unbroken runs in the 1300s. Came back full time with 1500 for the start of Origins and been here ever since.

ThryllSeekyr

Aztecface

I never started. Here in Sweden Judge Dredd was published in his own magazine by Eagle Comics. That's the magazine I read. This was duringt the late 80's early 90's. I also read Batman, Superman, Spider-Man and a couple of others. It's only recently that I have started a subscription for 2000 AD and the Megazine(iPad app). I also picked up a few other Dredd books. Within the hiatus period I purchased a few comics... including "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", Hellboy and so on. I also enjoyed reading Transmetropolitan a few years ago. It's only recently that I have had urge to pick up where I left off in the DC universe.

I am ashamed to say that there was a period where I completely neglected comic books. It was in favor of books but still... I have missed a huge amount of storytelling. Trying to keep up but I find it to be very difficult.