Main Menu

2001: A Space Odyssey - on the big screen

Started by Muon, 23 October, 2014, 05:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanti Misfit

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 23 October, 2014, 04:14:28 PM
Quote from: Zanti Misfit on 23 October, 2014, 12:46:52 PM
Oooh, my fave film ever!  Thanks for the alert. Great trailer, too. Old bugger that I am, I first saw 2001 way back... (Doncaster ABC cinema, I think, 1968). I would love to see it again on the big screen, this time without my mum and dad....

And I was feeling old having seen it at GFT on my 18th birthday in 1982.  I think I'll drag Tiny Tips out to this one.

And they wonder why I turned out so weird...
I wish I still had my copy of the old Kirby adaptation of 2001.  Off topic, I know, but I used to love those oversized Marvel Treasury editions - Thor, Howard the Duck (and best of all) Barry Windsor Smith's Conan The Barbarian collection- glorious stuff.

Emp

Mattofthespurs

[/quote]

I wish I still had my copy of the old Kirby adaptation of 2001.  Off topic, I know, but I used to love those oversized Marvel Treasury editions - Thor, Howard the Duck (and best of all) Barry Windsor Smith's Conan The Barbarian collection- glorious stuff.
[/quote]

I've still got bundles of them (well, 34 at last count.) I love the 2001 Marvel series.

I'm also fond of 2010 including Helen Mirren's dodgy accent.

Zanti Misfit

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 25 October, 2014, 08:47:16 AM

[/quote]

I've still got bundles of them (well, 34 at last count.) I love the 2001 Marvel series.

I'm also fond of 2010 including Helen Mirren's dodgy accent.
[/quote]

Yes, the Marvel 2001 series is deserving of much love: - what a beautifully bizarre comic book.(As is Kirby's almost as bonkers Devil Dinosaur a few years later).

2010 - the not-really-necessary sequel is still fun to watch. 

ZenArcade

Had the privilege of seeing this at the QFT in Belfast back in 2001; a truely fantastic experience. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

SuperSurfer

I must confess I never managed to get through it.

Runs for cover.

ZenArcade

You'd better have a hover board handy there SuperSurfer, cause we're a comin' for ya. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

SuperSurfer

Quote from: ZenArcade on 25 October, 2014, 02:06:36 PM
You'd better have a hover board handy there SuperSurfer, cause we're a comin' for ya. Z
Scientists create real hoverboard

I have to say though, i don't go out of my way to watch any sci-fi in the cinema or tv. Blasphemy I know!

Hmm, seeing as on Tuesday I will be breaking my cinema boycott I might then give 2001 a go when it's out. Little chance the Mrs will join me though. I've never done cinema on my lonesome.

blackmocco

Yep, my older brother dragged - and I mean dragged - me to see this when I was about 13 on the big screen in Dublin somewhere. Anyway, it was a fucking godly experience. Highly recommended.

A tangent: Saw the original Terminator on the big screen last week here in Los Angeles for the 30th(!!) anniversary and dreaded how it was going to look up that close but man o man, it was just awesome. I think everyone should see their favorite movie on a cinema screen at least once in their lives.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: blackmocco on 25 October, 2014, 05:21:53 PM
I think everyone should see their favorite movie on a cinema screen at least once in their lives.

Our local Cineworld did a one-off showing of 'The Thing' a couple of years back. There's not one single frame of that movie I'd change — it's fantastic, and even better on a big screen.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

blackmocco

Well, it was during Terminator it dawned on me I'd never actually seen it on the big screen. I only saw The Thing on the big screen a few years back as well and yeah, it's infinitely more horrifying that way. I think for most of us, we were too young to catch all these when they were initially released and we all caught 'em on a VCR later on. I remember the first night my old man brought the first (of many) VCRs into the house and we were off to the video shop. First Blood and Conan The Barbarian. The staples of every healthy childhood.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Mardroid

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 25 October, 2014, 05:31:27 PM
I think everyone should see their favorite movie on a cinema screen at least once in their lives.

Our local Cineworld did a one-off showing of 'The Thing' a couple of years back. There's not one single frame of that movie I'd change — it's fantastic, and even better on a big screen.

Cheers

Jim

Slightly off topic (but I'll come back to it in a mo'),  I recently bought the box-set of both Thing films. Watching the original on my widescreen TV on the PS3...it appeared letter boxed. I don't mean in the desirable 'fill the screen' way but actually so you saw a smaller screen within your own TV screen with black all around. Black borders at top or bottom is understandable as I understand that with many films the aspect ratio doesn't quite match that of the widescreen TV and it doesn't particularly bother me,  but all around indicates it should fit the width at least.  Tweaking the display settings didn't help much.   Any suggestions appreciated.

Back to topic,  I confess I never made it all the way through either.  I actually found some sequences in rather boring.)  Sorry. I do remember being fascinated by that  very odd bit at the end though (and I liked Hal stuff. It's mainly watching from the start which dragged.) I'd definitely coming consider giving it another chance from the  beginning on the big screen.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Mardroid on 25 October, 2014, 09:00:39 PM

Our local Cineworld did a one-off showing of 'The Thing' a couple of years back. There's not one single frame of that movie I'd change — it's fantastic, and even better on a big screen.

Cheers

Jim

Slightly off topic (but I'll come back to it in a mo'),  I recently bought the box-set of both Thing films. Watching the original on my widescreen TV on the PS3...it appeared letter boxed. I don't mean in the desirable 'fill the screen' way but actually so you saw a smaller screen within your own TV screen with black all around. Black borders at top or bottom is understandable as I understand that with many films the aspect ratio doesn't quite match that of the widescreen TV and it doesn't particularly bother me,  but all around indicates it should fit the width at least.  Tweaking the display settings didn't help much.   Any suggestions appreciated.

Either the disc isn't anamorphic or your TV settings are not set up correctly. Personally I think it's the former.

Mardroid

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 26 October, 2014, 07:13:49 AM
Quote from: Mardroid on 25 October, 2014, 09:00:39 PM

Cheers

Jim

Either the disc isn't anamorphic or your TV settings are not set up correctly. Personally I think it's the former.

Thanks Matt. Yes , I usually have my TV set up to 'original'. So it broadcasts according to whatever signal it receives.

That usually does the job. On getting that smaller letterbox picture I tried on 16:9, the usual widescreen setting and it seems that IS the original in this case as the picture looked the same. Other aspect ratio settings expanded things a bit, but you end up with that slight fattening effect when proportions get altered.

It's a new box set as it comes with the prequel (oh no it's not a reboot) disk of the same name (I haven't tested that one yet) but I guess they just stashed it with an older version of the original film. I may test it on my Dad's player in case it's a PS3 issue. (It's a DVD incidentally, not Blu-ray. I'm sure that would look fine.)

But yeah. 2001. Despite not taking to the original (at least the space ballet introductory stuff) I'm rather looking forward to the cinematic version.

blackmocco

I may be slaughtered for saying this, but I quite liked 2010 as well. I don't compare it to 2001 in any way, shape or form, but as a reasonably exciting, very conventional space adventure it does what it says on the tin.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com