Main Menu

challenge yourself!

Started by sheridan, 01 April, 2021, 01:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krakajac

Having hit 50 this year, my body (which up to this point has been in good nick) is starting to 'grumble' with regard to my food choices/lack of exercise.

Won't take up too much time here, as everyone is different.  However, this might assist...

I've got my weight down from around 82kgs to 75kgs in the past two months - simply from cutting out refined sugars, refined carbs and animal fat.  That simple.  And making smart food choices.  Yoghurt laced with sugar?  Nope, now 100% greek yoghurt with a drizzling of real maple syrup (which in moderate amounts is healthy for you).  I don't touch anything that's 'white' either - no milk, no white bread, no white potatoes, no white rice.  Have replaced them with sweet potato and brown rice.  I don't have a yearning for milk or bread at all.  The exception is greek yoghurt, which is packed with good stuff.

Have also tried to incorporate a bit more fruit into my diet.

I'm a police officer - and yes the police diet (ala 'The Simpsons') is a real thing.  A combination of shift-work, sitting in vehicles or in front of a computer - and easy access to crap fast food.  It's worn me down in the past year or two.

In relation to exercise (very important once you hit the half century) - three exercises ONLY.  Pull-ups/Chin-ups, Squats and Push-ups.  That's it.  I follow an exercise bloke on YT who recommended these 3 exercises, with the motto, 'little and often'.  Essentially, I'll walk out to my carport and do 4 pull-ups, 20 squats and perhaps 6 push-ups - about four times a day.  Each work-out takes about 5 minutes.  So 20 minutes total a day.  Even made a custom pull-up bar out of galvanised pipe.

Oh, I forgot to mention - the above workout only has to be done every alternate day - which provides for a recovery day.  20 minutes workout every 48 hours isn't too bad!

I have a 22-month old toddler - and I have no time for visiting the gym or lengthy workouts.  I can pop outside, hang the laundry out - and get a quick 5 minute work-out under my belt.

Seeing some good results from following the above.  Good luck to all.

Sean SD

Quote from: paddykafka on 15 August, 2021, 04:25:25 PM
Quote from: Sean SD on 15 August, 2021, 11:07:32 AM
hey Jim this thread may just inspire me to get off my butt and get rid of some excess baggage.
Any tips from your journey appreciated!

As someone who is on the opposite side of the weight spectrum, I would happily take yer excess baggage if there was a way to graft it onto my stick-thin bod. Instead, alas, I shall have to content myself by waiting, until something like Russel's Inflatable Muscles becomes available on the Medical Card, lol.

Lol Russel's Inflatable Muscles can't be too far away now

Goal number 1 - average 10000 steps per day, miss out a day gotta catch up before end of week, see how I go