Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Old Tankie

House of Usher

I think it's interesting and ironic that my grandparents' and parents' generations, who benefited from Keynsian economics all their lives (welfare state, full employment, job creation, command economy) opted for and voted for right wing free market economics for their children and grandchildren to live with: welfare cuts, education cuts, health service cuts, pension cuts, mass unemployment to tackle inflation, and job insecurity: the main beneficiaries of which have been the super-rich, not Britain's competitiveness or the economy as a whole.

Once again, I will say that ambulance crews standing around waiting has nothing to do with left wing anything. It's entirely to do with people fulfilling the terms of their contracts because the audit culture equates that with people doing their jobs properly.

The idea that Labour = left and Tory = right has been out of date at least since the death of John Smith. New Labour's enthusiasm for Tory market economics and performance targets cannot be blamed on the Left.
STRIKE !!!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Old Tankie on 04 April, 2011, 03:46:28 PM
Yep! Think about it!!

I am and I don't know what you're talking about.

Old Tankie

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Old Tankie on 04 April, 2011, 04:33:16 PM
;)

No, seriously. Could you explain what you mean by 'left wing economic dogma'?

Old Tankie

Yeah, like you're really interested in my views, Rich.  But, okay, I'll give it a go.  The left wing economic dogma that says the public sector is the only way to go, the private sector is evil, and, under no circumstances no matter what state the country's in, there must never be cuts.  'Fraid I don't agree with it.  I think the NHS is great but there must be savings to be made that can be reinvested into patient care.  What Sharky described is a disgrace and although Ush comes up with lots of eloquent statements he never actually says how the system can be improved.

I don't agree that the Labour Party is not left wing.  The previous Deputy Prime Minister was not left wing?!  Diane Abbott not left wing?  Pull the other one!!

Well, that's it in a nutshell.  I'm sure you think it's a load of bollocks but I'm entitled to my opinion just as you and Ush are entitled to yours.

Robin Low

Quote from: Old Tankie on 04 April, 2011, 03:35:19 PM
So, when the next person dies, because an ambulance didn't turn up quick enough as the crew was sitting in a hospital corridor with their previous patient, the decease's family will just have to accept that left wing economic dogma killed their loved one.  I'm sure they'll understand.

For the ambulance crew to formally 'deliver' the patient, you need available, qualified hospital staff to 'take delivery' of the patient. This requires a sufficient number of suitable hospital staff, which in turn requires money to fund those posts.

Alternatively, you have more ambulances and paramedics available to pick up the slack on busy days. That costs money, too.

Of course, as the NHS is being constantly accused of waste, so you don't want to have too many crews (or A&E staff) sitting around idle waiting for calls, which inevitably means there's a shortage of crews on very busy days.

This has nothing to do with left-wing economic dogma. It's a simple consequence of A) legal obligations towards patients who have entered the system and B) the number of available qualified staff, which is subject to both funding and and day-to-day pressures.

Regards

Robin

The Legendary Shark

The solution: Social money.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Richmond Clements

QuoteYeah, like you're really interested in my views, Rich.

Please don't try to patronise me. Believe me, if I did not want to know, I would have just ignored you.

QuoteThe left wing economic dogma that says the public sector is the only way to go, the private sector is evil, and, under no circumstances no matter what state the country's in, there must never be cuts.
Which, as far as I can see kind of contradicts this:
QuoteI don't agree that the Labour Party is not left wing.
Unless you're saying the previous Labour government were trying to dismantle any private sector involvement in public owned bodies? Because I do not think this is what they did.

QuoteThe previous Deputy Prime Minister was not left wing?!

John Prescott, you mean? He certainly claimed to be, yes, but he also did not oppose any of Blair or Brown's obviously right wing policies. So in that respected I would say that no, he was not what I would call Left Wing.

QuoteDiane Abbott not left wing?
That is also debatable, I think. She's probably Left Wing in comparison to the current Labour Party leadership.

So... your two examples proving the Labour Party to be Left Wing are a retired minister and one back bench MP?

Old Tankie

Ah well, we disagree, that's life!!  I'm off to have pancakes, better late than never!!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Old Tankie on 04 April, 2011, 07:36:53 PM
Ah well, we disagree, that's life!!  I'm off to have pancakes, better late than never!!

Ha! Apple Strudel for me!
We can't even agree on that!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Me must all learn to wrap pancakes around strudel if we are to build a better, more delicious future. Some Ice Cream would be nice too
You may quote me on that.

Mikey

WHAT?! It's pancake day?! Where's mine?

Gruddamit, this is what happens when I ain't got no woman  >:(

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: pops1983 on 04 April, 2011, 08:25:42 PM
Me must all learn to wrap pancakes around strudel if we are to build a better, more delicious future. Some Ice Cream would be nice too

I had custard- the ice cream was in the freezer in another room.