Main Menu

2000AD in 1990!

Started by McGurk76, 27 August, 2021, 10:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGurk76

How much do you remember...?
The prog with Necropolis on the cover was the first one I ever bought.

https://chrishallamworldview.online/2021/08/27/2000ad-timeline-14-1990/

Barrington Boots

I think around December was when the Prog started getting a bit stop-start for me - strips I hated like Time Flies and Hewligan came in so I started buying it sporadically rather than automatically, leaving big gaps in my collection. Within a couple of years I'd be off to university and ditching it altogether.

Away from the Prog, the rose-tint of time passing means I only remember this period as being really great: no responsibilities, just bumming around with my mates exploring life and having adventures.
I saw Dick Tracy at the cinema, bogus!
Great year for music: Rust in Peace, Cause of Death and Left Hand Path all came out.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Funt Solo

Such a weird year to be a Squaxx, as it's got some of the most unmissable thrills right next to some of the most risible all smooshed together.

The obvious big hitter is the final few parts of The Dead Man segueing into Tale of the Dead Man and then Necropolis. But we also get the climax of Zenith, Phase III and Chopper's Song of the Surfer - huge moments in the comic. Slaine's epic of The Horned God finishes out its Book III and is arguably never as good again (or at least until the Langley years). The year closes out with the superlative Shamballa in Anderson Psi Division. The War Machine did a nice clean Rogue Trooper reboot and gave us a gritty classic that still stands up today. I can argue that Indigo Prime has a vital guided tour in prog 678 that let us know what the hell was going on.

In the middle ground, the opening salvo of Armoured Gideon was probably the strongest, Shadows is one of those quiet classics and Medivac 318's Arcturus can hold its head up high. I think Hewligan's Haircut belongs here as well - good but not great - and there's some fondness for Zippy Couriers. Perhaps even Bix Barton can live here, as he's a bit of a Marmite sandwich. Silo is gritty and disturbing, but loses out as perhaps too derivative and a bit confusing.

But you are brave indeed to wallow in the marshes of The Harlem Heroes (soft reboot scratch 'n' sniff sequel), which got a huge launch and the number one slot in the comic, but failed to fly. Universal Soldier dropped a Book Two that only vaguely made any sense either alone or in the context of what happened in the previous Book. Chronos Carnival managed to make a theme park in space being invaded by aggressive aliens mainly just boring. And then there's Dry Run, which managed to sneak past the writer, artist and editor with stuff that just didn't make any sense at all from panel to panel. Time Flies, sure - but how much fun can you have laughing at how effeminate the author finds the Bros twins? To finish out the year, we get the start of Junker - which is weak sauce with a protagonist you'd struggle to like ridden by cliche'd space activities.

What happened between these two panels?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

davidbishop

Quote from: McGurk76 on 27 August, 2021, 10:07:12 AM
How much do you remember...?
The prog with Necropolis on the cover was the first one I ever bought.

https://chrishallamworldview.online/2021/08/27/2000ad-timeline-14-1990/

The pedant in me is required to mention that Judge Dredd The Megazine #1 went on sale September 15th, 1990 - it was merely cover-dated October 1990.