Main Menu

I don't like the shoulders on the new uniform at all.

Started by ABCwarBOT, 26 July, 2011, 09:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarsHottentot

Being lactose intolerant, I find this thread wholly offensive.

On the shoulder deal, I remember thinking the Nolan Bat-suit looked pretty mehsville.  Once I saw Batman Begins, however, I found that it really worked within the reality the film portrayed - none of which skewed strictly to the comics but tonally couldn't have been more accurate.

Knowing that Nolan's work was a big influence on Dredd director Pete Travis, it's a safe bet that that's what we'll get: an alternate take on Dredd and Mega City-1 that looks different but, at it's core, is tonally 100% Dredd.

Not to nitpick in the opposite direction but, the costume is a modern take on the motorsport / riot cop look.  In the 70's when Dredd was born, sport bike riders wore full leather suits, now they incorporate tons of armor - pretty much exactly like what the Judges are wearing in the film.  It's an arty update on the concept - one that I think shows a lot of creativity and *gasp* a real understanding of the material at hand!

Ultimately, what is done is done.  You can either support Dredd or not, not that it will make a bit of difference.  Besides - for you costume sticklers, there's still Judge Minty which is DEAD ON aesthetically - I mean, how great is this - we're getting TWO Dredd films in as many years!!  Shouldn't we be passing out the champagne?
"I'm Asking You...BEGGING You-My Flesh, My Blood... It's Not Too Late!  Fix It Joe! You - You And Rico - You Can Do It..." - Judge Fargo

M.I.K.

While we're on the subject...

That's my entry for the current art competition. There's only one other (much better) entry. This is not good enough! You doodly types need to stop gawping at pictures of helmets and padding /discussing ice-cream and get doodling!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,33303.0.html

DrRocka

I won a goldfish.
It's not a particularly big goldfish, nor does it seem to be the brightest. It seems incapable of even the most basic maths, doesn't possess the greatest singing voice (although he is capable of holding a tune, at least), and while his main hobby appears to be reproducing great paintings of the renaissance period exclusively in the medium of melted wax, it's safe to say that he won't be contributing to the household budget solely through the power of art.
No, my goldfish will be destined to earn our crust through many years of hard graft in the local salt mines.
But you know what? He's a grafter. I can see that. And that's why, very quickly, he's become one of the family.
I shall call him Squeedge. And he's my goldfish.
And together, the universe isn't big enough.
Never ever bloody anything ever

exilewood

I used to work as an ice-cream salesman in Gainseville, Florida. It didn't last long - a customer was so angry about the size & slope of my shoulder pads, the job became unworkable. I had to move to Berlin in Japan, where for a short time, I earned a living as a gear-box until the same customer from Florida showed up & made my life impossible - he showed up at every race & sang Pat Boone songs in my face all night. Eventually I had to change my marthas & take to the ocean where I discovered the power of Hesse & from then on, I was coasting.

I cannot say it was easy. Could it be the devil in me? Or is this the way love is supposed to be?

Anyway - suffice to say, that unto this day, shoulders & the pads that reside thereupon have caused me extreme distress & the mere mention of them brings me out in dire Chekovs. which, I'm sure you will agree, is not no fun.

Have a heart, people. Good lord. I was one of the first black musicians to perform on the Groot-time-jamboree-radio-hour-hootenanny-late-show-late-late-show-show, so I figure I done paid my dues.

blackmocco

I used to go out to the ice-cream van and make a point of asking him not to cover my 99 in raspberry sauce but clearly every time he thought I was actually asking for it and he'd lay that sticky shite all over it. Then I'd make my ma lick all the sauce off it. That story completely repulses me now...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: MarsHottentot on 27 July, 2011, 01:34:06 AM

On the shoulder deal, I remember thinking the Nolan Bat-suit looked pretty mehsville.  Once I saw Batman Begins, however, I found that it really worked within the reality the film portrayed - none of which skewed strictly to the comics but tonally couldn't have been more accurate.

Knowing that Nolan's work was a big influence on Dredd director Pete Travis, it's a safe bet that that's what we'll get: an alternate take on Dredd and Mega City-1 that looks different but, at it's core, is tonally 100% Dredd.

Not to nitpick in the opposite direction but, the costume is a modern take on the motorsport / riot cop look.  In the 70's when Dredd was born, sport bike riders wore full leather suits, now they incorporate tons of armor - pretty much exactly like what the Judges are wearing in the film.  It's an arty update on the concept - one that I think shows a lot of creativity and *gasp* a real understanding of the material at hand!

Ultimately, what is done is done.  You can either support Dredd or not, not that it will make a bit of difference.  Besides - for you costume sticklers, there's still Judge Minty which is DEAD ON aesthetically - I mean, how great is this - we're getting TWO Dredd films in as many years!!  Shouldn't we be passing out the champagne?

I can understand them wanting to make it like a uniform that could be a real police uniform of the future.  I certainly don't expect it to look exactly like the comic but I think they could have incorporated more elements from the comic than they have.

There's no reason why the shoulder with the eagle has to look so flat and round and there's no reason why the chain couldn't have been included either.

MarsHottentot

"I'm Asking You...BEGGING You-My Flesh, My Blood... It's Not Too Late!  Fix It Joe! You - You And Rico - You Can Do It..." - Judge Fargo

blackmocco

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 27 July, 2011, 05:06:26 AM
Quote from: MarsHottentot on 27 July, 2011, 01:34:06 AM

I can understand them wanting to make it like a uniform that could be a real police uniform of the future.  I certainly don't expect it to look exactly like the comic but I think they could have incorporated more elements from the comic than they have.

There's no reason why the shoulder with the eagle has to look so flat and round and there's no reason why the chain couldn't have been included either.

I'm sure I'll regret this but: Chain's the first thing that had to go. Not very practical, is it...? Gets caught in stuff, makes noise. I would think when you apply Dredd's job against reality, you'd need to streamline anything decorative and impractical...

Hm. Is this a stupid question? How does Dredd undress in the comic? The chain's attached to the badge on one end and attached to the zipper on the other, right? The badge is attached to the suit.

Maybe that upcoming gay romantic Dredd literature will explain it...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Hoagy

You unhook the badge from the suit and pull the zipper. His big scarred chest puffs out with greying fur of Sean Connery standards as you unclip the belt and carry on unzipping to... as he shifts his super big shoulder armour off and pulls off a glove. But the main thing is you unhook the badge first silly.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Matt Timson

Pffft...

TordelBack

Quote from: The Cosh on 27 July, 2011, 12:46:08 AM
A drunk man arrives home from a funeral and wonders: is it Scojo or are you just being a shower of twats?

The latter, probably.  Making our own entertainment, we called it in my day. 

Angry Vince

Quote from: Matt Timson on 27 July, 2011, 07:41:12 AM
But... I really do like vanilla!

Well that's where you're wrong, if you look at the very first Dredd strips, it is clear that he is not vanilla.
Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

James Stacey

I have some ice cream but now I'm worrying that it needs more codpiece and that the rice crispys are too thin. Bastards.

Goaty

In freezer, I found Snickers Ice Cream, they still make it??

TordelBack

Quote from: Goaty on 27 July, 2011, 09:03:12 AM
In freezer, I found Snickers Ice Cream, they still make it??

I'd be more worried if it was Marathon ice cream (although it'd probably taste better...).