Main Menu

I don't like the shoulders on the new uniform at all.

Started by ABCwarBOT, 26 July, 2011, 09:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Oh, so it's okay for you to misuse < and > is it?

Zarjazzer

But if you have brown bananas it's just sugar really and you can use them to make banana bread.

Now that's top nom.

Oh, and whilst messing with an iconic image is annoying ultimately it still looks more faithful and gritty than I thought it was going to be.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

esoteric ed

QuoteI went to a popular Chinese Buffet in Liverpool a few weeks ago, there was no Neapolitan ice cream, but there were tubs of Strawberry, Chocolate and Vanilla and I had a scoop of each together, is this acceptable?

Ed

Tso's?

Yums on Bold Street  :D and hello to you Chiefy, it's been a while.

Ed

TordelBack

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 27 July, 2011, 06:49:42 PM
Oh, so it's okay for you to misuse < and > is it?

Never let it be said I can't learn new tricks, even this late in the game.

>>>P minus 6<<<

Noisybast

Quote from: esoteric ed on 27 July, 2011, 07:06:36 PM
Yums on Bold Street  :D and hello to you Chiefy, it's been a while.

Ah, the mighty Yums. Not been there in ages. Might have to remedy that...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

esoteric ed

Crispy Duck and Sui Mai served all day now... and of course ice cream  :P

Ed

Stan

Huh? I just assumed bananas went in the fridge.

And I've not heard of Yums. I do have a Wok-it right next door though. :cool:

Quote from: blackmocco on 27 July, 2011, 04:42:05 AM
I used to go out to the ice-cream van and make a point of asking him not to cover my 99 in raspberry sauce but clearly every time he thought I was actually asking for it and he'd lay that sticky shite all over it. Then I'd make my ma lick all the sauce off it. That story completely repulses me now...

...!!!

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 27 July, 2011, 11:40:44 AM
It's very difficult for officianado's of the Comic strip to contemplate Judge Dredd any other way. The powerful image of Judges Uniform is in my humble opinion a British design classic, simple and easy to recognize. But I knew the famous Eagle and shoulder pads had to be re designed for an Urban PoliceMan/commando. [I almost made a pun there!] You'd keep getting hung up in stairwells if you wore Heavy Metal Dredds shoulder pads for a start!

The Judge Minty style ones look great but I think the Film makers decided to have a brand, new Dredd distinctive from the Comic strip origins. Rounding the shoulder Pads is a good design ploy. Look at Dredd's uniform. The round helmet is the main thing you tend to see concealing the face and good design often repeats similar or the same shapes so rounding the Shoulder Pads/Eagle is a clever move by the concept Artists. Not to everyones tastes but it's done.

God doesn't Lena Headey's MA MA character look a Bitch? Love that scar!

I'm not for one minute suggesting they should have had these huge shoulders which would get in the way (The Minty uniform was good but the shoulder pad needed more range of movement) but I still think they could have done something more like the comic instead of rounding the shoulder off like that. 

Dredd should look imposing not as if he has round shoulders.

Matt Timson

Pffft...

dweezil2

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 27 July, 2011, 11:43:46 PM
Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 27 July, 2011, 11:40:44 AM
It's very difficult for officianado's of the Comic strip to contemplate Judge Dredd any other way. The powerful image of Judges Uniform is in my humble opinion a British design classic, simple and easy to recognize. But I knew the famous Eagle and shoulder pads had to be re designed for an Urban PoliceMan/commando. [I almost made a pun there!] You'd keep getting hung up in stairwells if you wore Heavy Metal Dredds shoulder pads for a start!

The Judge Minty style ones look great but I think the Film makers decided to have a brand, new Dredd distinctive from the Comic strip origins. Rounding the shoulder Pads is a good design ploy. Look at Dredd's uniform. The round helmet is the main thing you tend to see concealing the face and good design often repeats similar or the same shapes so rounding the Shoulder Pads/Eagle is a clever move by the concept Artists. Not to everyones tastes but it's done.

God doesn't Lena Headey's MA MA character look a Bitch? Love that scar!

I'm not for one minute suggesting they should have had these huge shoulders which would get in the way (The Minty uniform was good but the shoulder pad needed more range of movement) but I still think they could have done something more like the comic instead of rounding the shoulder off like that. 

Dredd should look imposing not as if he has round shoulders.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I disagree entirely. The uniform is great.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 July, 2011, 11:48:46 AM
Quote from: tharg4 on 27 July, 2011, 11:34:03 AMTwo things I noticed - Urban's uniform tends to look one colour, blue. Perhaps it's the lighting but it doesn't appear to have the gold and green of 2000AD's Judge Dredd.
The pads are dark green and the shoulder pads are off-gold, like the badge.

QuoteThe other thing is the uniforms look very scratched and kinda dirty which goes with the grim and gritty vibe they're aiming for but it's not how I imagine Judges to look. I always got the impression Judges would have shiny uniforms and have a strong, perhaps obsessive, mind to maintain their appearance. Dredd always seems fussy about how Judges deport themselves. And I assume Justice Dept would have enough credits to hire someone to clean and polish the uniforms.
Judging by what we've seen so far, this is a very different MC-1 to the comics. In 2000 AD, MC-1 has a lot of resources and the judges more or less keep things under control. In this film, it looks like a city on the brink, with the judges desperately trying to maintain order—more Mad Max than Fifth Element.

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 27 July, 2011, 11:40:44 AMThe Judge Minty style ones look great but I think the Film makers decided to have a brand, new Dredd distinctive from the Comic strip origins.
And, as others have noted, from the first film. Big shoulder pads are unwieldy, but they're also reminiscent of what people saw in 1995. This film has to look and feel different if it's to have any chance of success. (Of course, plenty of people liked the Stallone film, so this new one will alienate them; however, Judge Dredd performed in mediocre fashion at the box office, and so a new direction makes sense, not least when you consider the darker path most comic-book adaptations have gone down in recent years.)

But they've gone too much the other way.   It's one thing trying to make this film so it's distinct from the Stallone movie and another so it's too different from the comic.

It's finding the right balance and I don't think they've achieved that so far with the uniform and bike.

Goaty

ABCwarBOT, round? I think your confused, it is Dredd topic, not Captain America.
:)

dweezil2

We haven't even seen a proper shot of the bike yet. Wait until we have before judging it aye?

It's as bad as some of those drongos on other sites saying the film will be shit before they've even seen a frame!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 July, 2011, 01:05:46 PM
I believe it was established last year that ABC wasn't Scojo, despite some... similarities of opinion, and he's certainly conducting himself in a more acceptable fashion the man himself usually does.

Ah....forgot about that.  So that's why some people are acting so bizarrely.  People think I'm this scojo fella.   

Well even though I might have similar opinions I haven't a clue who he is.   

Angry Vince

RE: The Sausage That Thought It Was A Banana

Years ago I was in Japan for a bit and we decided to go on a ski trip. Long story short, it was an overnight drive from Nara to Nagano. Around breakfast time we stopped at some dodgy side-of-the-road cafe and picked up some eats. I was given a battered sausage on a stick with some spicy brownish sauce on it.

Quite tasty.

Until I got halfway through and found that the battered sausage was actually deep-fried tentacle on a stick...

Boy were my shoulders round!
Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)