Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danbo

....and why the fudge do they need words scrolling onscreen AND a bloody voice over.

Hope the new Dredds successful enough so that Cannon is allowed to go back and give a directors cut.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Electromud

I think I remember reading an old Stallone interview where he mentions additional footage featuring the fully matured clones.
...the mask..the costume..the weapons..you know what I smell? I smell vigilante. And I don't like vigilantes!

Danbo

I read it was more violent,would like to see at least the US version in the UK.

Steve Green

It was cut down to avoid an R, which I think it got anyway. Not sure why they didn't just reinstate the footage if the MPAA were being dicks over it.

I suspect the ridiculous pinball table noises of the lawgiver was part of the ratings thing as well...

COMMANDO FORCES

don't say that you haven't seen the pics of Stallone blasting the clones with the shotgun  :o

strontium71

...because I hate you.

bigjobs67

Yeah its a disappointing film to say the very least but I've sat and watched umpteen times. Went to see it on its release. Bought it VHS. Bought it on DVD and will now promptly buy it again on Blue Ray with hopefully lots of extras like an extended cut and making of.
Don't know what that say's about me other than I was so in love with Dredd @ that time and subsequently (not in gay way. Well not entirely) that I just couldn't help myself.
Having said that there's so much to commend about this film in a 'If only' kinda way.
It does have this 'Roman epic' vibe running through it which Cannon was tryin to achieve and some fantastic Kev Walker and Chris Cunningham designed props and characters (Mean Machine chief amongst them) and I love that the absolutely bonkers Armand Assante is in it and lets not forget Jurgen Prochnow and the mighty Max Von Sydow.And a final film performance from Ian Dury not long before he died. DANG!!! Think I might dig it out and watch it for the, what comes after umpteen?

All together now....."Status? Bodyguard. Commander? Rico. Mission? Mission,We're going to war. WARRRR..." Lol.
'Overwhelming, I'm I not!

Danbo

There were some great visuals in there,would be easy to cut a decent 'trailer' making it look like the best film ever...it just falsl apart as soon as any 'acting' by Sly or Rob takes place,that and the helmet removal just killed it stone dead for me.

The bit where Dredd pops around the door lawgiver blazing on rapid fire fucking nails it.

Not seen Sly blasting clones but I'm sure I saw Mean headbutt somebody(Dredd i think) but thats not on my DVD.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: strontium71 on 19 February, 2012, 09:37:57 AM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 February, 2012, 01:40:29 AM
Quote from: Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty) on 19 February, 2012, 01:38:57 AM
Was fink in there too ?

Nope.

Yet he is named in the credits thought , oddly.

It's a mistake, they credited Phil Smeeton as Fink when it shoulda been Link.

Steve Green

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 19 February, 2012, 10:35:35 AM
There were some great visuals in there,would be easy to cut a decent 'trailer' making it look like the best film ever...it just falsl apart as soon as any 'acting' by Sly or Rob takes place,that and the helmet removal just killed it stone dead for me.

The bit where Dredd pops around the door lawgiver blazing on rapid fire fucking nails it.

Not seen Sly blasting clones but I'm sure I saw Mean headbutt somebody(Dredd i think) but thats not on my DVD.

Headbutts tended to be cut on UK releases, not sure what the current position is but the BBFC took a dim view on them in case kids copied them.

Earclaps are or were another no-no.

JOE SOAP

BBC were never bothered about Yosser in Boys from the Blackstuff.

Steve Green

Not exactly the same thing...

Danbo

Quote from: Steve Green on 19 February, 2012, 10:44:36 AM
Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 19 February, 2012, 10:35:35 AM

Headbutts tended to be cut on UK releases, not sure what the current position is but the BBFC took a dim view on them in case kids copied them.

Earclaps are or were another no-no.
Having been on the receiving end of a level 4 corker that made me look like Otto Sump for 2 weeks I can see why.

Bat King

And yet mutilations are allowed in films like Saw anf Human Centipede... (seen none of those by the way)

Censors are pretty inconsistent.  I know that Stallone film wasn't an 18.  But shooting is OK, stabbing is ok, headbutt is cut...

I censor films myself, by not going to see something I know I won't like, Sucvh as Human Centipede and Stallone's Dredd.

OK I saw Stallone's Dredd on DVD, even own the sucker, but that's beside the point, I didn't go to cinema as I already knew there was too much in it I wouldn't like.  Over saturated media spin...

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Steve Green

They did go a bit nuts in the 90s - for them it's all about imitable content.

They're obviously worried about kids going round headbutting or earclapping each other.

Setting up elaborate torture mechanisms or stitching multiple a2m victims is probably too much effort for kids these days.

Oh and Human Centipede 2 got cut for UK release even at 18.