Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Quote from: dracula1 on 19 February, 2012, 11:13:53 PM
I wonder if they shipped that trolley in from the U. K.  ? ...  or if it's CGI?  :)

Not only is that trolley cgi but the composite artist has left the cred in the slot
Never rub another mans rhubarb

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: dweezil2 on 19 February, 2012, 10:43:29 PM
Hollywood Pictures were crying out for a PG-13 from the MPAA when it was submitted originally. The MPAA however slapped it with an R rating. The film was re-submitted with some edits for violence but it was still given an R.
Probably realising the writing was on the wall and that Dredd would get an R whatever was trimmed, the offending material was re-instated and the film was released as an R in the States.
Of course there's still all that cut footage, amounting to 30 minutes worth of material if some reports are to believed, that may never see the light of day and couls result in a radically different film to the one we got!

Well, if that's true (it certainly sounds it), then the editing was worse than we thought, the entire climactic sequence featuring the hatched clones looks like it's been edited with a machete, if they reinstated the cut footage, then where's the shot(s) of Sly blasting the heck outta the clones, amongst others?

As far as deleted footage, I think I heard somewhere that the first assembly cut ran about 130 minutes - whether that included the reshoots footage or not, I don't know - and Danny Cannon did indeed edit together his preferred version into an actual cut, but Sly exerted his star-power, shot new footage himself, and basically controlled the final cut, although Danny Cannon had hoped for his version to be released on a Laserdisc 'director's cut' release, but it never panned out unfortunately, although now would be the perfect time to release that version, what with the new adaptation hitting cinemas, and the fact Danny Cannon basically works for Disney now, with his involvement in the CSI franchise, so it wouldn't be much of a stretch.  Mind you, I think Cannon's cut would be more a case of HOW the film's edited rather than just a plethora of previously unseen footage, but if Buena Vista did release a 'director's cut' version of that movie, I would definitely be tempted to take another dip...

It wasn't even the story, casting, or the fact they tried to reach a broad audience (which I completely understand and agree with) I had a problem with, it was the fact that what that movie could have been was severely sabotaged by an egomaniacal, overpampered, and grossly overpaid lead star who refused to serve the material, rather forcing the material to serve him, and instead of giving Danny Cannon the benefit of advice from his long experience and considerable talent as a director himself, he treated the young British filmmaker as a glorified floor manager, cutting him out of the final creative process, and ensuring the final film would be a confused mess and a box-office bomb (effectively sabotaging Cannon's burgeoning film career as a result) and even badmouthing the finished product at the time of it's release, bad form doesn't even come close to describing Stallone's behaviour on that whole project... and that's not even getting started on Steven DeSouza's utter mangling of what I've heard was a pretty darn good first draft of the script written by William Wisher and veteran screenwriter Walon Green (which I'd sure love to read)!

Sorry for the sheer length of this post everybody, but I just wanted to be sure I got everything out before I sign off on this film permanently, in other words, short of a 'director's cut' release, this will absolutely, positively, wholeheartedly, unreservedly, emphatically, and unanimously be MY FINAL COMMENTS on this movie forevermore... full stop, period, end of subject (for me anyway), turn the page, end transmission, 'nuff said :-X.
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Gonk

Quote from: Bat King on 19 February, 2012, 10:04:36 PM
I can't believe a discussion of censorship now seems to show some people on the forum really give solid credence to the 'a film/game/comic' made him want to do it crowd...

Whilst a small proportion of quite bad things perpetrated by people have been put down to this subject it is a very small factor in most cases and a very low amount of crimes in the first place.

Film censors shift greatly over years on what they allow and do not allow.  They are stricter than TV most of the time.

Given the level of knife crime in the UK and gun crime in many parts of the UK... a head butt scene being censored but the other violence getting through is a little reactionary.

I've always thought that someone is more likely to learn how to become a criminal through the day to day constant flow of newspapers and television reporting such things, than through reading "Crime and Punishment" or by playing Grand Auto Theft.
coming at a cinema near you soon

Gonk

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 20 February, 2012, 03:00:47 AM
Sorry for the sheer length of this post everybody, but I just wanted to be sure I got everything out before I sign off on this film permanently, in other words, short of a 'director's cut' release, this will absolutely, positively, wholeheartedly, unreservedly, emphatically, and unanimously be MY FINAL COMMENTS on this movie forevermore... full stop, period, end of subject (for me anyway), turn the page, end transmission, 'nuff said :-X.

Fingers crossed then Beaky, that you won't be back in 7 months time saying how bad the next Dredd film is. Or do you already know something? Do you have inside information? Mmmm?

bigjobs67

'Overwhelming, I'm I not!

Glenn Broadway

Re: the shopping trolley. Alex Garland has a thing for them. Remember the tower block in 28 Days Later with the blocked up stairwell?

BTW Didn't realise he wrote Never Let Me Go - I was very impressed when I saw that the other day.

dracula1

Quote from: Glenn Broadway on 20 February, 2012, 01:55:03 PM
Re: the shopping trolley. Alex Garland has a thing for them. Remember the tower block in 28 Days Later with the blocked up stairwell?

BTW Didn't realise he wrote Never Let Me Go - I was very impressed when I saw that the other day.
Nice observation Glen ... looks like the vision of this film is very future present.  I kind of understand the comparisons they've made with Clock work Orange now.

Bat King

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 19 February, 2012, 10:18:20 PM
Quote from: Bat King on 19 February, 2012, 10:04:36 PMI can't believe a discussion of censorship now seems to show some people on the forum really give solid credence to the 'a film/game/comic' made him want to do it crowd...

Some people? Bigjobs is the only person who's come close to doing that.

I guess so... but it generated a conversation, instead of being ignored (or rebuffed).
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Emperor

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 20 February, 2012, 12:05:11 AMbigjobs67, you're my new favourite person.

As the first person to express an interest, you have won him. He is parcelled up and winging his way to the Katooie Mansion and Singing Pub as I type this.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Gonk

How much did you pay?

bigjobs67

What ever it was he was robbed. :)

bigjobs67

Fonky. How the fuck did you get more stars than me? If we had started work together in a Macky D's back in the 80's this would mean that you were now deemed well trained enough to cook those fuckin lovely burgers they do so well whilst I on the other hand would still be fryin chips. No fair.

vzzbux

Bigjobs67 its because you don't spout as much shit as Fonky  ;)

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

JOE SOAP

Depends on who you ask vizzy.

vzzbux

I suppose Quality shit and Quantity shit even out.
I mean there is enough Floating around this board. Guilty as charged.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.