Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

Quote from: Stan on 16 June, 2012, 07:33:37 PM
I only just got why they gave him a blond un-helmetted sidekick. She's the Anne Lewis to his Robocop.

That's some cart-before-the-horse observation right here.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Stan

Quote from: The Adventurer on 16 June, 2012, 07:52:47 PM
Quote from: Stan on 16 June, 2012, 07:33:37 PM
I only just got why they gave him a blond un-helmetted sidekick. She's the Anne Lewis to his Robocop.

That's some cart-before-the-horse observation right here.

At least Danbo gets it. And Makepeace would've made a great Anderson. Assuming that was the chick.

Danbo

She would have made a great anything,babe on toast.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Diminished Responsibility

There's a guy on the Facebook page right now claiming to have  tickets to a preview showing this Wednesday...
"DANGER! DO NOT TOUCH THESE MONSTROUSLY HAZARDOUS CITRUS FRUITS, MAN!"

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: M.I.K. on 16 June, 2012, 06:30:21 PM
Put that last comment badly and now can't edit - What I meant to say is that my house is anything but a straight-line universe. It's not easy to wallpaper.
I remember a flat where if you spilt a drink -and we're quick enough- You could get it to roll back into your glass at the other end of the room...maybe with time I've exaggerated things...
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Mark Taylor

Quote from: blackmocco on 16 June, 2012, 04:22:11 PM

I have loved this image so much since it turned up that I've just pored over it as much as I can but I have to confess, something about it started bothering me and I couldn't put my finger on it. Not in terms of concept but something technical. And then I figured out what it was:

Perspective. The perspective of the building Dredd's walking out of doesn't match the blocks in the background. Red lines are the perspective guides to the lobby. Yellow lines are the straight up-and-down of the blocks.

Couple of explanantions: The building's lobby's walls are slightly angled? Feel like this is unlikely as the shuttered door to Dredd's left follows the same angle as the entrance.

The cityscape in the background is actually just concept art, not a finished shot from the movie?

There's nothing wrong with the perspective in this shot. The walls of the building Dredd's walking out of are close up, and shot from a fairly low angle. Thus the perspective naturally causes the walls to converge towards the top of the frame. Due to the low the top of the walls are significantly further away from the viewpoint than the base of the walls. The buildings in the background, on the other hand, are much further away from the viewpoint in the first place. The tops of these buildings are not sigificantly further away from the viewpoint than their bases. Hence the effect of perspective on their verticals is much less pronounced. The overall effect is more pronounced than you would see with the naked eye because it has been shot with a reasonably wide-angle lens.

I'm a photographer. I know how the shot would look if I took it from the same angle with a 17mm (APS-C) lens, and that's pretty much it.

Goaty

Quote from: Diminished Responsibility on 16 June, 2012, 09:13:12 PM
There's a guy on the Facebook page right now claiming to have  tickets to a preview showing this Wednesday...

It's ruined by comments from Scojo

Diminished Responsibility

QuoteIt's ruined by comments from Scojo

Isn't everything ? lol
"DANGER! DO NOT TOUCH THESE MONSTROUSLY HAZARDOUS CITRUS FRUITS, MAN!"

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 16 June, 2012, 07:33:22 PM
Quote from: SneakeeX on 16 June, 2012, 07:26:42 PM
Just on the judges to the left, are they wearing some kind of jacket?

The ones at the Pat-Wagons are too. It's casual.
I was going to mention the fella in the long coat...I don't want to know about the script, but it's a compelling image.

Danbo

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Steve Green

Just waiting for him to pick up on this bit of news...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/16/publisher-of-2000ad-given-obe-by-the-queen/

His head will explode.

Frank

Quote from: BOODA on 16 June, 2012, 09:56:29 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 16 June, 2012, 07:33:22 PM
Quote from: SneakeeX on 16 June, 2012, 07:26:42 PM
Just on the judges to the left, are they wearing some kind of jacket?

The ones at the Pat-Wagons are too. It's casual.
I was going to mention the fella in the long coat...I don't want to know about the script, but it's a compelling image.

Trenchcoats on a bright and sunny afternoon? Goth division.

blackmocco

Quote from: Mark Taylor on 16 June, 2012, 09:24:41 PM
Quote from: blackmocco on 16 June, 2012, 04:22:11 PM

I have loved this image so much since it turned up that I've just pored over it as much as I can but I have to confess, something about it started bothering me and I couldn't put my finger on it. Not in terms of concept but something technical. And then I figured out what it was:

Perspective. The perspective of the building Dredd's walking out of doesn't match the blocks in the background. Red lines are the perspective guides to the lobby. Yellow lines are the straight up-and-down of the blocks.

Couple of explanantions: The building's lobby's walls are slightly angled? Feel like this is unlikely as the shuttered door to Dredd's left follows the same angle as the entrance.

The cityscape in the background is actually just concept art, not a finished shot from the movie?

There's nothing wrong with the perspective in this shot. The walls of the building Dredd's walking out of are close up, and shot from a fairly low angle. Thus the perspective naturally causes the walls to converge towards the top of the frame. Due to the low the top of the walls are significantly further away from the viewpoint than the base of the walls. The buildings in the background, on the other hand, are much further away from the viewpoint in the first place. The tops of these buildings are not sigificantly further away from the viewpoint than their bases. Hence the effect of perspective on their verticals is much less pronounced. The overall effect is more pronounced than you would see with the naked eye because it has been shot with a reasonably wide-angle lens.

I'm a photographer. I know how the shot would look if I took it from the same angle with a 17mm (APS-C) lens, and that's pretty much it.

If you say so.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Stan

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 16 June, 2012, 08:48:43 PM
She would have made a great anything,babe on toast.

Indeed. By strange coincidence she also played a MILF copper in Emmerdale.

Bubba Zebill