Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

As far as testing goes, it's usually the films they don't test or screen that are the turkeys.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: blackmocco on 16 June, 2012, 10:57:49 PMIf you say so.

Actually no, I don't. Now that I look at it again it is wrong. Perhaps I'm just so used to the perspective distortion effects of wide-angle lenses that nothing looks odd to me anymore.

(For those talking about lens distortion producing curved lines earlier on, that's a whole different thing. It is barrel or pincushion distortion as opposed to perspective distortion.)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Mark Taylor on 17 June, 2012, 03:44:44 AM
(For those talking about lens distortion producing curved lines earlier on, that's a whole different thing. It is barrel or pincushion distortion as opposed to perspective distortion.)

but the wider the lens, the more curvilinear the lines -heading towards fish-eye- at the edges; unless you use a rectilinear lens which renders the curves straight(er). It looks like something around a 17mm lens in the shot.

blackmocco

Quote from: Mark Taylor on 17 June, 2012, 03:44:44 AM
Quote from: blackmocco on 16 June, 2012, 10:57:49 PMIf you say so.

Actually no, I don't. Now that I look at it again it is wrong. Perhaps I'm just so used to the perspective distortion effects of wide-angle lenses that nothing looks odd to me anymore.

Yeah, it's funny. After your comment I was looking hard and starting to think you were making a very good point but it's the nearer distant buildings on the left side of the image that kept throwing me off. Like I said, this won't even be noticeable when the movie's playing but it did get me thinking about how someone could make, well, a pretty novice error...

Rest assured, I'll keep you all abreast of any crooked perspective lines after Wednesday...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

The Adventurer

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 17 June, 2012, 03:40:20 AM
As far as testing goes, it's usually the films they don't test or screen that are the turkeys.
This is pretty much gospel when it comes to movies. If its good, they make sure reviewers get to see it as early as possible. If it's a dud, they hide it until the very last moment.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

PreacherCain

Oh blackmocco... I really hope they release a trailer before you see it. Because if not, you are it, my friend.

Thrilljackers everywhere, asking you about helmet size, boot size, fonts... the naysayers, the fanboys, the spoiler-fascists, the anti-spoiler fascists...

You will be our Aaron A. Aardvark. Blood sacrifice, I say!

The Adventurer

Quote from: PreacherCain on 17 June, 2012, 04:52:52 AM
Oh blackmocco... I really hope they release a trailer before you see it. Because if not, you are it, my friend.

Thrilljackers everywhere, asking you about helmet size, boot size, fonts... the naysayers, the fanboys, the spoiler-fascists, the anti-spoiler fascists...

I bet they'll make him sign an NDA about specifics or something, so I wouldn't get my hopes up about details.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: blackmocco on 17 June, 2012, 03:25:18 AM
I'm dangerously excited but as I drove home (blasting Black Sabbath) I started to get an awful worry about why they're screening a movie with no trailer three months before it's due to be released. They're testing it for sure and I hope that doesn't mean they're concerned about the violence. I predict lots of comment cards afterward...

... and a detailed review right here about one hour later, if you know what's good for you >:(...

And cut that whole perspective crap out, will ya's, that shot is a thing of beauty, and I don't want some boffin or nerd screwing it up by pointing out little niggles... sorry for popping off somewhat there, I just don't want people here getting all anal retentive about released shots, cut out the negative waves and just think beautiful thoughts (man)...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Syne

Quote from: The Adventurer on 17 June, 2012, 04:54:20 AM
Quote from: PreacherCain on 17 June, 2012, 04:52:52 AM

I bet they'll make him sign an NDA about specifics or something, so I wouldn't get my hopes up about details.

That'll make it even more painful. We can spend hours analysing his posts for hidden messages: "what's that, you just ate a cupcake? That's code for "action sequences looked fakey," isn't it!!!"

Syne

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 17 June, 2012, 06:01:59 AM
Quote from: blackmocco on 17 June, 2012, 03:25:18 AM
I'm dangerously excited but as I drove home (blasting Black Sabbath) I started to get an awful worry about why they're screening a movie with no trailer three months before it's due to be released. They're testing it for sure and I hope that doesn't mean they're concerned about the violence. I predict lots of comment cards afterward...

... and a detailed review right here about one hour later, if you know what's good for you >:(...

And cut that whole perspective crap out, will ya's, that shot is a thing of beauty, and I don't want some boffin or nerd screwing it up by pointing out little niggles... sorry for popping off somewhat there, I just don't want people here getting all anal retentive about released shots, cut out the negative waves and just think beautiful thoughts (man)...

Clearly Dredd's firepower has knocked the block askew on its foundations. Case closed.

Goaty

Well, I thought if it better he not tell us anythings, we wait till Sept for the film ourselves, and worth it as it only 2 and half months!

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: blackmocco on 17 June, 2012, 03:07:44 AM
Well folks, I don't what to tell yiz. It's true, someone on Facebook claims they've preview tickets to a screening of Dredd on Wednesday here in Los Angeles. Upon a hunch, I drove up to Burbank's biggest theater chain where he claims he saw Prometheus this morning and I kid you fucking not, I now have tickets to see Dredd!! On Wednesday!!!! Fucking unbelievable!

Oh and "Dredd will be rated 'R' for strong bloody violence, language, drug use and some sexual content".

GET IN!!!!!!!!!
I was there only a month ago...damn it, my timing is beautiful. Enjoy!....grumble, mumble, groan.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

SmallBlueThing

I dont think the magic powers of NDAs work on general members of the public, not employed in some way. The most they can do is ask you to please not tell.

Well, i expect you to treat that with the contempt it deserves- as you may well be seeing a cut your countrymen wont see in cinemas or on dvd.

SBT

The Adventurer

Oh yeah. Make sure you're honest with the questionaires.
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 17 June, 2012, 09:28:25 AM
I dont think the magic powers of NDAs work on general members of the public,

I know video game closed Betas can be pretty strict when it comes to nondisclosure agreements. Even if you're basically bug/balance testing a game for them for free.

Pete Wells

Quote from: blackmocco on 17 June, 2012, 03:38:50 AM
Unfortunately, I don't know if my opinion can be objective at first. Haha! I thought Stallone's one was great for about six months until sanity slowly seeped in...

You lucky sod Blackmocco, I'm thrilled to bits for you!

I was exactly the same about the Stallone Dredd for about the same length of time. Attack of the Clones too, I think I was too blinded by love of the subject matter to be objective.