Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Steve Green on 12 July, 2012, 10:14:05 AM
Yeah, we'll see how it goes - I just worry when I talk to people who take Dredd far too literally...

Same as the people who take Dity Harry literally.

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: DeFuzzed on 12 July, 2012, 10:17:04 AM
Awesome :) - That tight nod of dread despite being outwardly hopeful, desperately outwardly hopeful, has totally dissipated. Feels like a ton just slipped right off my back.

And not to harsh the squee, but was it this positive for Scott Pilgrim too? I remember the CCon crowd loved that and yet it flopped outside it. And yes, I know comparing the two ain't fair, different genres yadda yadda, but I'm asking cuz I'm simply curious. I never saw Pilgrim and never paid attention to the Con reaction at the time.

That film had multiple swings to fans apparently. By the time it reached theatres everyone who wanted to see it had already done so . Reportedly lots of people got left outside in this showing , because it was mostly press. Makes more sense to drum up good word of mouth.

chuffsteruk

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 July, 2012, 10:31:15 AM
Quote from: Steve Green on 12 July, 2012, 10:14:05 AM
Yeah, we'll see how it goes - I just worry when I talk to people who take Dredd far too literally...

Same as the people who take Dity Harry literally.

The Daily Mail are already gearing up  ;)

CYCLOPZ

James Stacey

JOE SOAP

Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 12 July, 2012, 10:31:53 AM

That film had multiple swings to fans apparently. By the time it reached theatres everyone who wanted to see it had already done so . Reportedly lots of people got left outside in this showing , because it was mostly press. Makes more sense to drum up good word of mouth.

By that logic it would mean only a few thousand fans really wanted to see Pilgrim because relatively few would have seen it in previews, so even without the previews, whether it showed at the cons or not wouldn't have made a difference.

The film was enjoyable by bloated. In contrast Dredd seems a fairly tight crowd pleaser.

Something Fishy

Delighted to see the good feedback.,

Really hope this one goes down a storm. Cannot wait.

Fisticuffs

Quote from: James Stacey on 12 July, 2012, 10:34:43 AM
Quote from: Fisticuffs on 12 July, 2012, 10:28:44 AM
IGN give it 8 out of 10! http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/07/12/dredd-review
Has it been pulled ?

Looks like it, maybe they posted it early by accident. It was very positive though!

radiator

QuoteAnd not to harsh the squee, but was it this positive for Scott Pilgrim too? I remember the CCon crowd loved that and yet it flopped outside it. And yes, I know comparing the two ain't fair, different genres yadda yadda, but I'm asking cuz I'm simply curious. I never saw Pilgrim and never paid attention to the Con reaction at the time.

Scott Pilgrim got very good Comic Con buzz, but was quite simply never going to appeal to anyone other than geeks - specifically a subset of largely male, nostalgic, thirtysomething geeks at that. It was a very Marmite proposition (personally I found it irritating and unfunny) and had far too narrow an appeal to warrant the $60m it took to make.

With any luck, DREDD will appeal to the geek audience and the Statham fans and gorehounds alike.

Goaty

Quote from: radiator on 12 July, 2012, 10:05:47 AM
First full review:

http://comicbook.com/blog/2012/07/12/dredd-the-comicbook-com-review/

Sorry out of studio, and nice pages to catch up!

I love this quote in that link;

Dredd is a violent, gory film with more F-bombs than the average Quentin Tarantino movie and more energy spent on how the body reacts to being punished than anything I've seen since Saving Private Ryan. It's one of the hardest R's I've ever seen.

JOE SOAP

Interesting review here, the only gripe seems to be what wasn't in the film:

http://veryaware.com/2012/07/sdcc-2012-review-dredd/

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 July, 2012, 10:36:14 AM
Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 12 July, 2012, 10:31:53 AM

By that logic it would mean only a few thousand fans really wanted to see Pilgrim because relatively few would have seen it in previews, so even without the previews, whether it showed at the cons or not wouldn't have made a difference.

It's called Fuzzy Logic  ;)

radiator

io9 like it:

QuoteDredd is, first and foremost, though, an action movie, a self-contained sequence of events that comes to simple and satisfying ending. It does not force its Judges to confront any larger truths about their function in society

Hey, that's what sequels are for...

http://io9.com/5925364/dredd-is-a-brutal-action-flick-with-both-a-high-body-count-and-a-brain

JOE SOAP

I haven't seen one 'helmet too big' comment yet. Just goes to show that it was always nonsense.