Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlurbaninternational

@radiator: do not underestimate the hidden love of double-R movies and girls. "I" have to pull my guy to Dredd.

Steve Green

Indigo Prime means all the bemoaning a lack of trailer/marketing/website/poster etc during the summer.

karlurbaninternational

shaolin_monkey

Hey Goaty, love your new avatar! 

Goaty

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 12 July, 2012, 05:26:45 PM
Hey Goaty, love your new avatar!

It's my happy mood after positive reviews on Dredd!

HunterZolomon

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 July, 2012, 04:37:54 PM
Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 12 July, 2012, 03:55:33 PM
This is a lesson for future adaptations. It worked because they didn't try to second guess the source material. i.e the Dredd character, which has worked on the page for 35 years.
Also, a lesson for this forum, in that the marketing people behind this film DID know what they were doing.

Not trying to tarnish this perfect day but the fact that the film is well received at SDCC has nothing to do with the marketing. We'll know in late September.

That seems to be the only thing that can f**k up now, failing to attract the mainstream audience.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: Beeks on 12 July, 2012, 11:41:50 AM
Some guy on twitter posted that DREDD was

'Hands Down the most violent film I have seen in my life'

:lol:

Nice comment, but to be fair it could well have been made by somebody who just wasn't around back when we had proper violent films.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: HunterZolomon on 12 July, 2012, 05:32:38 PMNot trying to tarnish this perfect day but the fact that the film is well received at SDCC has nothing to do with the marketing.
No, but the showing was part of the marketing plan, and while SDCC is, clearly, of limited range, we're not just seeing Comic Blog X write about Dredd, but Empire, Total Film and other big outlets. It was the kind of maximum impact moment that a small film like Dredd needs, which could have a knock-on effect elsewhere. Right now, positive noises and reviews are bleeding out into the web, and some will also make it to print.

Note also that I'm not saying "job done", but that things have started well, and this is promising (versus the general forum ranting that the team in place had no idea what it was doing).

DeFuzzed

Quote from: radiator on 12 July, 2012, 05:08:19 PM
Realistically, the girls will probably opt out

Quote from: karlurbaninternational on 12 July, 2012, 05:10:46 PM
@radiator: do not underestimate the hidden love of double-R movies and girls. "I" have to pull my guy to Dredd.

More girls than guys want to go, my side. Trufax! I am truly blessed.

The reviews are astoundingly good, with the most substantial negative being a lack of ambition - which is fantastic! Because they have ambition, they just didn't have the budget to realise that ambition, and hopefully Dredd will be successful enough that budget will not be the stumbling for the sequel.

Fantastic reviews, I still can't get over it. Refreshing the pages to keep up and still fantastic reviews from new sources. Surreal. What a freaking good day!

Mark Taylor

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 July, 2012, 05:39:03 PMNote also that I'm not saying "job done", but that things have started well, and this is promising (versus the general forum ranting that the team in place had no idea what it was doing).

Nice to know you're not decking out the aircraft carrier with an enormous 'mission accomplished' banner quite yet! :D

Mark Taylor

...Just realised my post above actually referred to something that happened almost a decade ago. And here's me thinking I'm being current and relevant... definitely a sign of age. I'll get me coat (<--- another ancient reference. It was deliberate this time).

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Im glad real glad that this film has scored a positive hit on tinterweb moreover twatter. It is exactly this "word of mouth" which will now escalate ten fold. Im especially pleased with the review over at aintitcool and the feedback there.

All good :)
Never rub another mans rhubarb

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 July, 2012, 04:37:54 PM
Also, a lesson for this forum, in that the marketing people behind this film DID know what they were doing.

Unfortunately in today's homogenised entertainment continuum many think there's only one way to skin a cat because that's what they're conditioned to react to, but this cat required a different type of skinning and it's working. Having a good film is half way there to selling itself, the rest is knowing what to do with it.

The marketing for this film was always a better idea closer to release especially now that it seems to be a 'surprise' to many people that it might actually be really good. The fact that it's managed to take some attention away from TDKR for a few days -a film that's had frequent bursts of advertising since last year- shows that stealth can be a better strategy when trying to get noticed.

W. R. Logan

I feel sorry for anyone going to see Dredd who ends up sat next to Commando Forces.
He'll be poking them with his day stick if they munch on their popcorn too loudly.

a chosen rider

Now this is a really encouraging review from someone who didn't know Dredd beyond the Stallone movie: http://www.craveonline.com/film/reviews/192005-comic-con-2012-review-dredd-3d

QuoteOh, Dredd made me so happy.

All I knew about Judge Dredd was the Stallone movie and I loved the concept even back then. I thought it was a great franchise for Stallone, a future where every cop was judge, jury and executioner. So I don't know if the comic books were any better, but they sure did an amazing remake of a bad '90s sci-fi movie.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps