Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Fargo could be played by another actor though being significantly older, and the helmet would do a lot to disguise the differences.

On the other hand ageing make up can sometimes look good. (Although it was rather poor on Guy Pearce in Prometheus.)

Danbo

Stallone?

I'll get my coat.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Steve Green

I think it would be better to find someone older to play Fargo - and have KU in any flashbacks.

To be honest, I wouldn't be that arsed if you saw his face, rather than have him helmeted as well, depends how much you need to see him - it could get a bit Austin Powers working around showing it, though it might work having him only shown out of focus or dimly lit.

Obviously if it's successful enough to warrant a sequel - then a lot of the fargophobia, and maybe rico inherited from the Stallone film will be less of a problem.

I would like to see a return of a comic-style Rico - although Titan seems even more of a reach unless the tech is upgraded - a disfigured Rico taking the place of Booth if they're going the Origins route?

Keef Monkey

I wonder what the chances would be of an IMAX screening? Or even an IMAX 3D one?

I don't know what the logistics would be of a limited run of IMAX prints for a handful of screenings, I do want to see it in 3D as they've made that aspect such a focus, but at the same time I'd be worried the Real D would actually detract from the experience (I find the darkness of the glasses and the blurriness of the picture pretty much ruins any film I watch in it, whereas I genuinely find it adds an extra layer of immersion in IMAX).

Before I would think there was no chance, as the only IMAX nearby was the Science Center who don't show anything over a 12 certificate, but there's now an Odeon nearby and a Cineworld in Edinburgh and they seem to be showing just about all the upcoming biggies in IMAX. Too much to hope for?

radiator

QuoteI would like to see a return of a comic-style Rico - although Titan seems even more of a reach unless the tech is upgraded

Simple - rewrite the script so the penal colony is in Aspen instead of Titan.

judgeblake

Quote from: Steve Green on 29 July, 2012, 06:36:23 PM
I think it would be better to find someone older to play Fargo - and have KU in any flashbacks.

To be honest, I wouldn't be that arsed if you saw his face, rather than have him helmeted as well, depends how much you need to see him - it could get a bit Austin Powers working around showing it, though it might work having him only shown out of focus or dimly lit.

Obviously if it's successful enough to warrant a sequel - then a lot of the fargophobia, and maybe rico inherited from the Stallone film will be less of a problem.

I would like to see a return of a comic-style Rico - although Titan seems even more of a reach unless the tech is upgraded - a disfigured Rico taking the place of Booth if they're going the Origins route?

well I think its the fanboy in me that would love Clint Eastwood to play Fargo, and have Karl Urban's Dredd and Rico portrayed by Hugh Jackman as humans created from Fargo's DNA. Eastwood wouldn't remove his helmet as Fargo - Urban as Dredd never removes his helmet, and Jackman could remove his as Rico of course...but he looks alot like a younger Eastwood and Urban looks quite abit similar to Jackman imo

I would love to see both a pre titan Rico and a disfigured Rico in a sequel...maybe time travel could be an option - or maybe Rico's story could run as a simmering subplot as he journeys back to Earth to take revenge ravaged and disfigured as Dredd simultaneously hits another big bad guy headon.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 29 July, 2012, 06:51:30 PM
QuoteI would like to see a return of a comic-style Rico - although Titan seems even more of a reach unless the tech is upgraded

Heh, or just move the prison colony a bit closer to earth by having it on the moon where bent Judges work in labour camps mining Helium 3 for Mega Citiy's Fusion Reactors. There's no way oil reserves could build the Mega Cities.

JOE SOAP

The Rico story only really works as portrayed in the original Return of Rico - a very simple yet moving revenge story of a feud between two 'brothers' that says more about Dredd by doing less. It'd work as a short film or as a simple recollection in a larger story but functioning as a larger plot ruins the simplicity, and we've been down that route before. Anything to do with Rico playing 'the villain', big revenge plots or coups is missing the point of Rico the character.

judgeblake

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 July, 2012, 07:12:49 PM
Quote from: radiator on 29 July, 2012, 06:51:30 PM

Heh, or just move the prison colony a bit closer to earth by having it on the moon where bent Judges work in labour camps mining Helium 3 for Mega Citiy's Fusion Reactors. There's no way oil reserves could build the Mega Cities.

an excellent concept and idea!

The Adventurer

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

JOE SOAP

Quote from: judgeblake on 29 July, 2012, 07:25:48 PM

an excellent concept and idea!
[/quote]

Helium 3 is also used in cryogenics, another important Sci-Fi trope in Dredd history.

Stan

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 July, 2012, 07:24:56 PM

The Rico story only really works as portrayed in the original Return of Rico - a very simple yet moving revenge story of a feud between two 'brothers' that says more about Dredd by doing less. It'd work as a short film or as a simple recollection in a larger story but functioning as a larger plot ruins the simplicity, and we've been down that route before. Anything to do with Rico playing 'the villain', big revenge plots or coups is missing the point of Rico the character.

Indeed. You'd think the Rico/Fargo stuff could be adequately covered in the origins story Garland was talking about.

Steve Green

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 July, 2012, 07:24:56 PM

It's hard to say what Rico has a character because he hasn't really been given the opportunity to develop, apart from the Return of Rico, Blood cadets and cameos here and there, he's not really had much exposure.

I don't agree that making it more involved would ruin the simplicity, they just didn't do it well in the film. I'd want to see something where Rico is more than just an Assante style sociopath, he doesn't have to have any grand schemes, just be able to show why someone of Dredd's stock would go bad, something along the lines of Blood Cadets, whether it's inherent or if it's more comfortable to think it the result of a freak occurrence.

A short film's not a bad idea though, something like the equivalent of 'the connection' where Rico's return leads on to an Origin's style sequel.

So maybe not Booth, but I'd like to see him given another go.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: judgeblake on 29 July, 2012, 06:59:05 PM

well I think its the fanboy in me that would love Clint Eastwood to play Fargo, and have Karl Urban's Dredd and Rico portrayed by Hugh Jackman as humans created from Fargo's DNA. Eastwood wouldn't remove his helmet as Fargo - Urban as Dredd never removes his helmet, and Jackman could remove his as Rico of course...but he looks alot like a younger Eastwood and Urban looks quite abit similar to Jackman imo

I think the way they're going with lesser known and less expensive actors is the way to go. I know that if I see Clint in a Judge Helmet, I'll be thinking more that it's Clint doin' the Clint thing pretending to be a Judge. It's too on the nose for me.

Preferably I'd want Urban to take the challenge of one actor doing both or all. Since we'll only see the lower half of the face, or in shadow, good make-up and subdued lighting shouldn't be too difficult. Anyone who thinks old-age make-up/FX can't be done really well should look at Benjamin Button:

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Steve Green on 29 July, 2012, 07:40:51 PM

It's hard to say what Rico has a character because he hasn't really been given the opportunity to develop, apart from the Return of Rico, Blood cadets and cameos here and there, he's not really had much exposure.

I don't agree that making it more involved would ruin the simplicity, they just didn't do it well in the film. I'd want to see something where Rico is more than just an Assante style sociopath, he doesn't have to have any grand schemes, just be able to show why someone of Dredd's stock would go bad, something along the lines of Blood Cadets, whether it's inherent or if it's more comfortable to think it the result of a freak occurrence.

I think part of the attraction of Rico -and also reveals insight into the stubbornness of the bloodline trait- is that after 20 years he just wants revenge on Joe to prove a point of being better, nothing else, that would make for a pretty small personal film and certainly not the story you'd want if you want a bigger sequel with a bigger story which I believe is the intention. As a small recollection or short prequel it's fine but not as the main thrust of narrative.

For a greater bloodline/Mega-City story: Eustace Fargo and/or Morton Judd are the men for that story.