Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bat King

Sequel Centre on Vienna being at risk... Rico as back story, he is still alive on Titan perhaps.  Then maybe third film, Rico comes back to Earth...

Or do all the Rico story as flash-back with things being centered around Joe/Vienna relationship.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Misanthrope

Rico uses his DNA to lure Dredd and co into a trap, with Dredd believing the DNA to be that of Fargo.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

shaolin_monkey

Perhaps Rico could use his DNA to make everyone think Dredd had committed a murder of some popular figure - a news presenter or journalist or something?  Then Dredd could be disgraced in a trumped up trial and sent to Aspen, where he bumps into someone he recently arrested.  Somehow they escape, maybe via some crazy Cursed Earth gang shooting down the penal ship, and after many daring escapades Dredd confronts Rico, wipes out a clone bank, and throws his brother from the top of something tall.

You know, something like that...

judgeblake

I keep on comparing Dredd with Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy - but only because of Nolan's mastery of the sci fi anti hero genre in the 1st 2 films of his trilogy. Nolan explore's the varying characters' motivations that they're coming from, and their differing moralities. Batman a right wing masked hero, Joker the anarchic almost nihilistic pyschotic and anti-establishment, and two-face a guy who had set morals but became warped and twisted throught TDK until he became obsessively focused on revenge and the role of fate. If I can compare that to a potential Dredd sequel; Fargo could set the tone as the ultimate moral progenitor of Justice perhaps sacrificing his life of liberty for justice, Dredd and Rico can be shown to come from his DNA but one is a right wing morally Just Judge, and Rico is like the other half of the same coin, he has wandered off the path of justice set out to him due to fate and his subsequent criminal decisions. Rico could therefore playout like Dent/Two Face in TDKR finally turning up at the end of the movie disfigured after his stay on Titan, and seeking revenge.

Quote from: Steve Green on 29 July, 2012, 07:40:51 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 July, 2012, 07:24:56 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 29 July, 2012, 06:36:23 PM

Obviously if it's successful enough to warrant a sequel - then a lot of the fargophobia, and maybe rico inherited from the Stallone film will be less of a problem.

I would like to see a return of a comic-style Rico - although Titan seems even more of a reach unless the tech is upgraded - a disfigured Rico taking the place of Booth if they're going the Origins route?

The Rico story only really works as portrayed in the original Return of Rico - a very simple yet moving revenge story of a feud between two 'brothers' that says more about Dredd by doing less. It'd work as a short film or as a simple recollection in a larger story but functioning as a larger plot ruins the simplicity, and we've been down that route before. Anything to do with Rico playing 'the villain', big revenge plots or coups is missing the point of Rico the character.

It's hard to say what Rico has a character because he hasn't really been given the opportunity to develop, apart from the Return of Rico, Blood cadets and cameos here and there, he's not really had much exposure.

I don't agree that making it more involved would ruin the simplicity, they just didn't do it well in the film. I'd want to see something where Rico is more than just an Assante style sociopath, he doesn't have to have any grand schemes, just be able to show why someone of Dredd's stock would go bad, something along the lines of Blood Cadets, whether it's inherent or if it's more comfortable to think it the result of a freak occurrence.

A short film's not a bad idea though, something like the equivalent of 'the connection' where Rico's return leads on to an Origin's style sequel.

So maybe not Booth, but I'd like to see him given another go.

Assante was given a scripted villain rather than Rico and so gave the cliched pantomime villain evil for evil's sake - same as Stallone didn't really play Dredd, he played the scripted action hero.
In a sequel I'd have Rico offset by another villain as Rico's story rumbles through the film quietly simmering as he plots his revenge and then finally turns up confronting Dredd.   

judgeblake

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 29 July, 2012, 08:36:50 PM
Apologies, a crap gag about jumping off the moon was ruined even further by the predictive sex and 'next word' functions both being on for some reason, and me naughtily texting a response while having a conversation at work. Basically, id rather no rico/ cursed ears/ angry gang, and new ideas instead, so as not to inadvertently recall the stallone movie.

SBT

on the contrary; I think they should take stuffed misused and mis-adapted in the first movie and use references to the comics properly in a good script e.g. writing the Rico character properly etc

Quote from: Bat King on 29 July, 2012, 09:57:21 PM
Sequel Centre on Vienna being at risk... Rico as back story, he is still alive on Titan perhaps.  Then maybe third film, Rico comes back to Earth...

Or do all the Rico story as flash-back with things being centered around Joe/Vienna relationship.

for some reason I'd dislike the use of a 'save/protect Vienna' plot in a sequel - mainly, I think, because it reminds me too much of Last Action Hero lol :P

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 29 July, 2012, 10:49:59 PM
Perhaps Rico could use his DNA to make everyone think Dredd had committed a murder of some popular figure - a news presenter or journalist or something?  Then Dredd could be disgraced in a trumped up trial and sent to Aspen, where he bumps into someone he recently arrested.  Somehow they escape, maybe via some crazy Cursed Earth gang shooting down the penal ship, and after many daring escapades Dredd confronts Rico, wipes out a clone bank, and throws his brother from the top of something tall.

I don't think it should be so calculated on Rico's behalf - I think Rico should be shown to fall from glory, maybe making a few bad decisions and fatefully immoral acts in the name of what he thought was right - then Dredd convicts him and Rico is sent to Titan - ultimately turning up disfigured and seeking bloody revenge.

The Adventurer

Maybe Rico can become Judge Death!

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Misanthrope

And this is why I rarely post on here.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Stan

You've got to admit, that sounds like a winner.

Stan

I also forgot to mention yesterday, there's a full-on shot of the eagle in Empire. Small pic but kinda cool.

Goaty

Quote from: Stan on 30 July, 2012, 03:05:54 AM
I also forgot to mention yesterday, there's a full-on shot of the eagle in Empire. Small pic but kinda cool.
Yep the iPad scanned image in another thread about Empire feature.

Michaelvk

Bought the Empire mag yesterday.. The guy they're describing (Jason From Fabrication) is never going to let us forget he was named in it  :(.. The only possible saving grace is that they say he's ginger, when he's not..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Misanthrope on 29 July, 2012, 11:50:38 PM

I aim to please.  But failing that, driving people away will have to do.

hazy efc

And how about erm sly stalone as dredd what could go wrong  :lol:

judgeblake

Quote from: hazy efc on 30 July, 2012, 11:50:57 AM

And how about erm sly stalone as dredd what could go wrong  :lol:

AHHIIII AAUMM......DAA LUUURRGGGHHH