Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

A.Cow

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 06 August, 2012, 02:14:29 AM
Quote from: judgeblake on 06 August, 2012, 02:04:34 AM
thats not half bad
If it were a Star Wars film.

It had robots, dodgy dialogue, a desert scene, a high-speed hover chase, and clones being bred as an army.  Are you trying to tell me that it wasn't a Star Wars film?

JOE SOAP

You're forgetting James Early Jones.

MR. ELIMINATOR

MR. ELIMINATOR

Sorry, I just didn't know I could do that.

radiator

QuoteIt's not an easy thing to predict with an outlier like Dredd but there's always a possibility they can't 'actuarialise' all variables.

I know youtube hits don't equate with box-office takings but Dredd on both its official Machinima & Lionsgate channels has had more individual views (approx. 5 million) than the latest Resident Evil: Retribution trailer - released a week before - on its equivalents channels (approx. 4 million). Resident Evil is of course an allready succesful franchise, Dredd isn't.

Dredd Opening Weekend: $13,000,000 [proj.] | Total Domestic Gross: $35,000,000 [pred.]

Resident Evil: Retribution: Opening Weekend: $23,000,000 [proj.] | Total Domestic Gross: $52,000,000 [pred.]

I think Resident Evil is a valid comparison - and though it's very hard for me to remain subjective it certainly feels as if DREDD is generating a hell of a lot more buzz and anticipation than Retribution.

I suspect that the Resident Evil Films have a loyal, dedicated (presumably mostly teenage) fanbase and the mainstream couldn't give two shits about the franchise - but DREDD seems to have a lot more mainstream awareness, at least here in the UK. I'm seeing Dredd being blogged/reported on quite mainstream sites and have been asked about it by relative non-geeks - people at work, my brother in law etc.

Whether that will translate into solid box office is anyone's guess though - I certainly agree that DREDD is somewhat of a unique proposition and it's fate is impossible to predict. It could go with a whimper and take $30m US, but at this stage it certainly has the potential to be the sleeper hit of the year.

As gratifying as it is that the filmmakers have refused to compromise over the violence, am I alone in wishing they'd aimed for more of a 15 certificate? As has been pointed out, Dredd isn't an especially violent comic as these things go and it'd be a real shame if the violence and certificate ends up denting the box office to the extent that we don't get a sequel. Maybe DREDD will be one of those films that suffer because lots of under-18s will buy tickets for another film and sneak in?

Leigh S

Professor Bear

Quote from: radiator on 06 August, 2012, 10:33:04 AMAs gratifying as it is that the filmmakers have refused to compromise over the violence, am I alone in wishing they'd aimed for more of a 15 certificate? As has been pointed out, Dredd isn't an especially violent comic as these things go and it'd be a real shame if the violence and certificate ends up denting the box office to the extent that we don't get a sequel.

Nonsense!  Dredd has to have sex and gore and swearing because that is what makes a film mature!  Besides, the last Dredd film wasn't violent enough and that is why it failed - it is literally the only problem with that movie.

I think Dredd has had more Youtube hits because less people know what it is compared to Resident Evil and have to check the trailer to know what people are banging on about, while there have been something like 8 RE films and they are interchangeable to the point that their audience doesn't need to see a trailer as they know what they're getting by now.  That, and I suspect a great many of its audience only decide to watch it on the spur of the moment when they get to the cinema and decide what film they want to be in the background while they have a natter for 90 minutes and eat their evening meal.

Danbo

Lack of violence is the only problem with Slys Dredd? You need to watch more films mate, there were many problems with that shite and tits and gore was the last thing that springs to mind. :)

Bad script,crap direction,terrible acting.....Batman and Robin had less wrong with it.

Codpiece says it all.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

darnmarr

I believe that the Professor's use of italics for the word 'only' here, indicate sarcasm: ( is always with the jokes on this crrazy internet).

Danbo

Quote from: darnmarr on 06 August, 2012, 12:46:27 PM
I believe that the Professor's use of italics for the word 'only' here, indicate sarcasm: ( is always with the jokes on this crrazy internet).
I thought?....blaming my small i phone screen and a head cold/weaponized manflu symptoms.I see  it clearly now on my laptop.

*shuffles off*
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Mardroid

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 06 August, 2012, 12:35:41 PM
Batman and Robin had less wrong with it.

Judge Dredd had it's problems, but I wouldn't go that far.

And that's coming from someone who liked Batman Forever.

chuffsteruk

The Dredd effect has infiltrated the Olympics.

Overheard someone earlier saying that the cycling helmets used by the riders at the Velodrome reminded them of Judge Dredd...then commented to his mate that there was a new Dredd filming coming out that "looked cool"... ;)

IndigoPrime

Quote from: judgeblake on 06 August, 2012, 02:04:34 AM
thats not half bad
More to the point, it's not a million miles away (bearing in mind it's concept art) from what we're getting in the new film—a more 'armoured' take on the original outfit. And it certainly beats Versace's dire efforts.

Steve Green

As a design it's OK - more stront than Dredd, just lacks any of the design of the original apart from the helmet and badge.

Doubtful how well it works in raising the arm above the shoulder as well.