Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Professah Byah on 06 August, 2012, 10:58:21 AM
Nonsense!  Dredd has to have sex and gore and swearing because that is what makes a film mature!  Besides, the last Dredd film wasn't violent enough and that is why it failed - it is literally the only problem with that movie.

I suspect a great many of (Resident Evil's) audience only decide to watch it on the spur of the moment when they get to the cinema and decide what film they want to be in the background while they have a natter for 90 minutes and eat their evening meal.

I'm not sure whether the use of 3D will affect my experience of watching Dredd at the pictures, but I am fucking certain that the stench of nacho cheese will.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 August, 2012, 06:33:30 PM
More to the point, it's not a million miles away (bearing in mind it's concept art) from what we're getting in the new film—a more 'armoured' take on the original outfit. And it certainly beats Versace's dire efforts.

It's definitely more 'Sci-fi' but also not instantly recognisable as Dredd which is the clincher.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: bikini kill on 06 August, 2012, 07:45:15 PM
I'm not sure whether the use of 3D will affect my experience of watching Dredd at the pictures, but I am fucking certain that the stench of nacho cheese will.

I advise washing the nether regions thoroughly brfore leaving the house.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 06 August, 2012, 10:46:58 PMIt's definitely more 'Sci-fi' but also not instantly recognisable as Dredd which is the clincher.
To be fair, it's a single piece of concept art. Concept art very often goes off at tangents, which provides ideas that are then worked into the final design. I'll bet if the upcoming movie's concept art is ever released, we'll see a number of similarly diverse treatments of aspects of Dredd's world.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 August, 2012, 11:18:54 PM
To be fair, it's a single piece of concept art. Concept art very often goes off at tangents, which provides ideas that are then worked into the final design. I'll bet if the upcoming movie's concept art is ever released, we'll see a number of similarly diverse treatments of aspects of Dredd's world.

Concept art is all about tangents - there are always many - and the fact they didn't use it meant they knew it wasn't the thing, but, it does indicate the concept that was behind the concepts that Cannon was suggesting, as in a cross between Star Wars and Ben Hur.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Mardroid on 06 August, 2012, 04:34:48 PM
Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 06 August, 2012, 12:35:41 PM
Batman and Robin had less wrong with it.

Judge Dredd had it's problems, but I wouldn't go that far.

And that's coming from someone who liked Batman Forever.

Batman and Robin was the best of the Burton era films.
That is all.

JOE SOAP

There's a special place in hell for Burton/Schumacher.

judgeblake

Batman 1989 was a good film, loved Nicholson as Joker, loved Keaton's version of Batman. Batman Returns was quite annoying, I liked michelle pfeiffer in teh catwoman costume....thats about it lol Batman forever was drivel but vaguely enjoyable at the time.....and Batman and robin is a film that never should have happened. Nolan was in Empire or some magazine saying he liked Burton's first Batman film I think.

Professor Bear

In embracing its own stupidity, Batman and Robin transcended the pompous Burton legacy of superhero films and their audiences that are ashamed of themselves and overcompensate with juvenile wangst and gothy trappings.  It is outrageous nonsense completely without pretension and I love every minute of it to the point that every time I defend it I start kicking myself for not having it on blu ray already, which I am doing now.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Professah Byah on 07 August, 2012, 01:41:39 AM
In embracing its own stupidity, Batman and Robin transcended the pompous Burton legacy of superhero films and their audiences that are ashamed of themselves.  It is outrageous nonsense completely without pretension and I love every minute of it to the point that every time I defend it I start kicking myself for not having it on blu ray already, which I am doing now.

Professor Bear

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 06 August, 2012, 10:54:00 PM
Quote from: bikini kill on 06 August, 2012, 07:45:15 PM

I advise washing the nether regions thoroughly brfore leaving the house.

I see what's happened here; Nachos are like little slices of potato, made from something called corn. They come from another village far away, called Mexico; where the people have no potatos.

TordelBack

PreacherCain

I really liked Batman Returns  :-\ Penguins with rocket launchers!!  :P

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: judgeblake on 07 August, 2012, 12:58:58 AM
Batman 1989 was a good film

I like both Batman Begins and Burton's Batman for their opposing takes on the material: Burton tried to create a world in which Batman would make sense; Nolan tries to create a Batman who makes sense in the world.*

Having said that, I liked Burton's Batman right up until they sacrifice character coherence for a cheap dramatic pay-off, which ruins the entire movie for me. The moment they make the Joker the killer of Thomas and Martha Wayne, they show that they've failed to understand Batman at the most fundamental level: if Bruce Wayne could get his hands on the man who killed his parents, then he wouldn't NEED to be Batman.

Cheers

Jim

*I know the world of Batman Begins is still divorced from the 'real' world, but resembles it enough to stand in as a proxy, as opposed to Burton's unashamedly fantastic synthesis of gothic and noir elements for his Gotham.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.