Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Quote from: PreacherCain on 06 September, 2012, 03:07:59 AM
Quote from: Stan on 05 September, 2012, 11:19:19 PM
As someone who's not a casual cinema goer It's not a film which stands out. Something in the vain of Dredd would be much more appealing.

Oh I don't know. The trailer seems to reference HBO's current prohibition show Boardwalk Empire as well as stuff like Goodfellas and Once Upon a Time in America. I think it'll draw a crowd, particularly as it has such a strong cast and pedigree. Dredd's being pushed as an ultraviolent boys movie which could go either way (300 or, uh, Centurion).

It'll be interesting to see how Dredd fares. The most important thing is that it's bloody good and that'll do me.

Yeah. I'm almost as interested in its box office performance as I am in the film itself. I was really talking about my own preference though, concerning Lawless. I'll definitely watch it at some point though. I'm just not what you might call a casual cinema goer so I'm often quite happy waiting for the DVD.

And that last pic's ace.

PreacherCain

Oh I get ya. Yeah Lawless is a decent watch but it wouldn't hurt to wait for the DVD.

I'm gonna see Dredd Saturday afternoon, then probably watch it again (in 2D, hopefully) a couple of weeks later when it comes out here.

auxlen

odeon liverpool booked for friday. gone the whole premier seating hog...£28. if it wasn't fer dredd i'd be donning my auld man cap and moaning about prices etc.

Goaty

Advert was in Daily Star today, I nick it from her and scanning it;

shaolin_monkey

That is a bloody awesome advert!!!

I just bought myself a t-shirt for the showing tomorrow.  I walked past Forbidden Planet and saw it in the window.  I just could not resisit it.  It's the Steve Dillon Dredd on a khaki background - beautiful!

It's a medium, one size too small for me, but I WILL FIT INTO IT GRUDDAMIT!!

Yeah, that's the t-shirt I'm wearing to the afternoon showing, then it's my DROKK t-shirt for the evening one.

:D

MR. ELIMINATOR

Quote from: Goaty on 06 September, 2012, 01:18:12 PM
Advert was in Daily Star today, I nick it from her and scanning it;

That is badass!

Fisticuffs

Just flicked through a colleagues The Sun (normally I don't touch the rag) and the advert is in there as well. Means it's getting a hell of a lot of ad coverage, with the amount of people that read those papers.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 06 September, 2012, 01:31:15 PM
That is a bloody awesome advert!!!

I just bought myself a t-shirt for the showing tomorrow.  I walked past Forbidden Planet and saw it in the window.  I just could not resisit it.  It's the Steve Dillon Dredd on a khaki background - beautiful!

It's a medium, one size too small for me, but I WILL FIT INTO IT GRUDDAMIT!!

Yeah, that's the t-shirt I'm wearing to the afternoon showing, then it's my DROKK t-shirt for the evening one.

:D

Oh my, that is nice. Tempted to go and get my own now! I keep telling myself I have enough t-shirts...

Saw the ad this morning too, and thought the "10/10" and "Most badass movie I've ever seen" quotes would get me into the cinema regardless of any other factor. Brilliant ad.

Stan

Great ad. I might buy a tabloid rag for the first time in years.

Cool t-shirt too. I'll have to keep an eye out for that one.

Third Estate Ned

Looking at the list of titles (Front, Nuts, The Daily Star, Loaded, The Sun), it looks like they're aiming at the blokey/lad end of the cinemagoing spectrum in this ad. That's good because it avoids being marginalised as a "comic book movie" and might attract a broader audience.

Michaelvk

I wish I'd known about the Daily Star 2-pager before I went out to the shops :(
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Third Estate Ned

Quote from: Michaelvk on 06 September, 2012, 02:30:32 PM

How's it feel to have your Lawgiver so prominently displayed every day?

Michaelvk

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 06 September, 2012, 02:31:59 PM
Quote from: Michaelvk on 06 September, 2012, 02:30:32 PM

How's it feel to have your Lawgiver so prominently displayed every day?

Surreal.. Absolutely surreal..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Michaelvk

Third Estate Ned

Another thing that's occured to me is the quote "This is the Dredd movie you've been waiting for" might cause people to realise the character has more clout than they believed, and that there are many out there waiting for Dredd to be brought to the screen correctly. Especially given that the quote comes from an established media source (albeit a tits oot lads' rag). Makes them wonder what they've been missing out on, whether they should be in on it and it points beyond Dredd's previous screen incarnation.