Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisticuffs

Just saw it again in Odeon Salisbury, was even better the second time round, plus the missus loved it! Only 6 people in a 300-seater screen though, very disappointed. :(

James

You can count me in for a Fish based contribution. We go way back on here, and I taught him how to play Amped on XBL.

Someone sort this out and we'll all bung a few bucks in.

Pioneer

Just got back myself and am still in awe, and am most definitely in to contribute a tenner for you Fishy! No Dredd fan should be in the position you are in.

Also don't cancel that subscription, that's a madness right there! ;)

James

Just about to leave to catch the 11:15pm screening. I've been trying to get away all day but cakes and children have gotten in my way.

Something Fishy

Quote from: James on 07 September, 2012, 10:07:49 PM
You can count me in for a Fish based contribution. We go way back on here, and I taught him how to play Amped on XBL.

Someone sort this out and we'll all bung a few bucks in.

You did. Mate.  Those early console days were ace.  Sadly the old eyes have got much worse since then so I barely play this past year or two, cannot without it hurting quickly.

You're all very kind,  honestly it's lovely but I wouldn't ask that of you lovely folk.

Something Fishy

Quote from: Pioneer on 07 September, 2012, 10:43:15 PM
Just got back myself and am still in awe, and am most definitely in to contribute a tenner for you Fishy! No Dredd fan should be in the position you are in.

That's really kind, thank you.

I will think about it over the weekend,  I was feeling really annoyed about it earlier.   At the mo I just feel acceptance that I'm not seeing it but I am upset at them or thinking about the less able eyed.  I see what people say About it not being rebellion.  Mind you I tweeted and they ignored so I don't think they really care what a view folk with visual impairments think.   I will give it some though.

DeFuzzed

Saw it at the Empire Leicester Square, first showing at 1.15pm, and there were about 20 people I could see. Could have been more in the more expensive section behind. Like someone said above, not bad for middle of a workday.

Loved it. Smiled madly when the Dredd logo crashed through. Didn't feel deprived by lack of more Megacity since what they showed was revealing enough - which does not mean I don't want to see more, just that for this movie, I am perfectly happy with what I got.

Urban awesome. I want more. If they don't make sequels, it will be one helluva shame. Left that movie feeling it was way too short and I just wanted more!

Anderson's journey was so well done. Very impressed by Thirlby.

I definitely need to see it again. Missed a lot of the details in the background, like the forum names.

All in all, awesome. Awesome day. People who prefer the Raid can keep it, I'll take Dredd any day. And seriously, comparing the two now that I've seen it - seems like the most ludicrous thing to do. Critics, strange folk indeed.

Mudcrab

Quote from: Something Fishy on 07 September, 2012, 11:13:56 PM

I will think about it over the weekend,  I was feeling really annoyed about it earlier.   At the mo I just feel acceptance that I'm not seeing it but I am upset at them or thinking about the less able eyed.  I see what people say About it not being rebellion.  Mind you I tweeted and they ignored so I don't think they really care what a view folk with visual impairments think.   I will give it some though.

Good to see you're calming down on the point Fishy, I'd contribute too (as well as a reshowing next year for those too young now!) if you'd accept it, have fond memories of the banter amongst us aquatic boarders from long ago  ;)

I totally see your point and completely agree there should be more 2d showings. Hopefully that'll come with time over the coming weeks. There was a lot of great 3d work in the film (way better than Prometheus, which is the only other one I've seen), but it does distract and a film should be able to stand on its own, which I think it will (aside from the odd bit of obviousness, hard to say without seeing it in 2d).
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

A.Cow

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 07 September, 2012, 10:01:35 PM
Just saw it again in Odeon Salisbury, was even better the second time round, plus the missus loved it! Only 6 people in a 300-seater screen though, very disappointed. :(

Just saw it at the Vue in Southport -- great stuff -- but for a 7pm screening on a Friday night the place was almost deserted.  Only about 20 in the screen.  Very worrying. Perhaps the positive word-of-mouth will bring more in...

ED GRIMREAPER

Just come back from seeing it. Fantastic!  Even my wife,who isn't a dredd head like me, loved it. Only 10 people in the cinema though. I hope it gets enough money for a sequel. It really deserves it. At long last the ghost of that Stallone movie can now be laid to rest.

Michaelvk

Just in from a 21:30 show with mates.. The silence around me was worrying, but it was apparently from awe, as I found out.. In all about 20-odd in the theatre? Somewhat disappointing, but I must say the cinema in general wasn't exactly heaving..  I think there was football on..

I saw my name on the big telly :)
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Stan

I saw the 19:00 showing in Odeon Liverpool One and can't praise Urban highly enough. His Dredd is as scary as Snake Plissken is cool. Though am I the only person who found myself looking around and wondering 'Which one of these geeks posts on the message board?'?

And not a real spoiler but..

[spoiler]That whole thing with the homeless guy felt like it was lifted straight from a 2000AD page. Fucking perfect, and the film's laugh out loud moment.[/spoiler]

My new sig >>>> "Yeah.."

Beeks

Quote from: Stan on 08 September, 2012, 12:02:08 AM
I saw the 19:00 showing in Odeon Liverpool One and can't praise Urban highly enough. His Dredd is as scary as Snake Plissken is cool. Though am I the only person who found myself looking around and wondering 'Which one of these geeks posts on the message board?'?

And not a real spoiler but..

[spoiler]That whole thing with the homeless guy felt like it was lifted straight from a 2000AD page. Fucking perfect, and the film's laugh out loud moment.[/spoiler]

My new sig >>>> "Yeah.."

I got the Snake Plisskin vibe too
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

judge cooper

I envy you all. I can't watch it
NAZI ZOMBIES!!!YYYEEEEEEEEEAAAARRRGH

Something Fishy

Quote from: Mudcrab on 07 September, 2012, 11:41:20 PM
Quote from: Something Fishy on 07 September, 2012, 11:13:56 PM

Good to see you're calming down on the point Fishy, I'd contribute too (as well as a reshowing next year for those too young now!) if you'd accept it, have fond memories of the banter amongst us aquatic boarders from long ago  ;)

I totally see your point and completely agree there should be more 2d showings. Hopefully that'll come with time over the coming weeks. There was a lot of great 3d work in the film (way better than Prometheus, which is the only other one I've seen), but it does distract and a film should be able to stand on its own, which I think it will (aside from the odd bit of obviousness, hard to say without seeing it in 2d).

Thank you. Yeah it does sound like they at least did it properly for those who can enjoy it.

I'm thinking alightly differently now and thinking the best way i can protest is by investing nothing in the film itself and simply not seeing it until it is on free tv in a couple of years.   They might care really but if everyone who feels strongly did the same then they'd notice.

I'll also see if Rebellion ever make any comment on the impact cutting out non-stereoscopic viewers has (lots of people can't see it and are venting it) before deciding if i cancel the subs.