Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 27 November, 2012, 08:49:07 PM
Yeah, if they had decent screenplays, why not? Both those movies had perfectly decent production values. To be honest, i was thinking more along the lines of a Swamp Shark/Monsterwolf level- enough cash to be done, but reliant on the script and performances to make it fly. If dr who can do an effective megacity in 'gridlock', or suggest it in 'new earth' (going back a bit...) then it's not beyond the realms of possibiity that a decent dredd movie could be made for less than five million, if that's all that a studio was prepared to invest.

If that's the amount of money offered up then it'd be a better option to do a TV mini-series of around 7 episodes based around a Sector House where contained, character based stories could be afforded a longer time to develop but could also eschew the obligatory need for larger climactic action scenes cinematic presentations require to entertain.

Spend a million on each episode and it would be fairly decent quality.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 27 November, 2012, 09:17:35 PM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 27 November, 2012, 08:49:07 PM
Yeah, if they had decent screenplays, why not? Both those movies had perfectly decent production values. To be honest, i was thinking more along the lines of a Swamp Shark/Monsterwolf level- enough cash to be done, but reliant on the script and performances to make it fly. If dr who can do an effective megacity in 'gridlock', or suggest it in 'new earth' (going back a bit...) then it's not beyond the realms of possibiity that a decent dredd movie could be made for less than five million, if that's all that a studio was prepared to invest.

If that's the amount of money offered up then it'd be a better option to do a TV mini-series of around 7 episodes based around a Sector House where contained, character based stories could be afforded a longer time to develop but could also eschew the obligatory need for larger climactic action scenes cinematic presentations require to entertain.

Spend a million on each episode and it would be fairly decent quality.

Yeah- I think I said before that a "Sector 13" tv show, featuring a squad of judges of whom Dredd was only a part, would be an interesting take for a series. It would also force the series away from the "action movie" template that (for me) crippled the film, and towards that of all those cop shows that still seem to be so popular on tv. It would be quite brilliant to see Justice Dept develop over the course of four or five series- the early stages of Psi Division, with psychic powers becoming more important as it went on, etc etc. Basically, The Pit writ large.

SBT

Stan

Slightly off topic but does anyone know how well Ironclad did at the box office? Someone just mentioned they're filming a sequel but I can't imagine the original hack 'em slash 'em flick made much cash.

Quote from: radiator on 27 November, 2012, 08:57:54 PM
Aside from production values, low budget means that they won't be spending much on the script or acting talent either, hence the reason 99.999999999999% of the type of films you're talking about are unwatchable shite.

I would much rather the plug be pulled entirely on the Dredd franchise than it suffer the indignity of poorly made straight to VoD sequels.

Indeed.

JOE SOAP

Ironclad

Budget: $25 million.

Worldwide Box Office:   $2,598,765

MR. ELIMINATOR

Regarding uniform changes, I think the movie one looks great. When you look at it, you know it's Judge Dredd and the 70s comparison just shows there isn't really anything different anyway. The only thing that niggles me now after the initial mind blowing that was the film, is that the helmet doesn't cover the nose. But that I can quite easily live with.

If Ironclad can get a seqeul, Dredd has to get one.

Stan

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 27 November, 2012, 11:35:40 PM
Ironclad

Budget: $25 million.

Worldwide Box Office:   $2,598,765

Thanks. That's quite pitiful. There is hope yet.

Fisticuffs

I enjoyed Ironclad, but I'm not surprised in the slightest it made so little money, I think the first ad's I saw for it were for the DVD.

radiator

I'd never even heard of it before reading this thread, and I'm a big movie nerd.

Goaty

Ironclad was really good enjoyable film. I don't think it is sequel to first film's plot... Maybe some different story?

Cursed Earth Dweller

Quote from: Rusty on 27 November, 2012, 08:02:30 PMYou interpret it how you wish.

Isn't that what you're doing?

Quote from: Rusty on 27 November, 2012, 08:02:30 PMI read and hear a lot of people describing it as some kind of intelligent, complicated premise. It isn't.

Don't you mean YOU THINK it isn?

Quote from: Rusty on 27 November, 2012, 08:02:30 PMYou'd have to be some kind of idiot to get lost there.

I resent that! Not everyone has an eye for plot structure and I would like know weather I am talking to an open mind or just another bigoted cunt.

On second thought forget it, I know where this is going. Just forget I ever posted here.

Cursed Earth Dweller

Sorry, "whether" not "weather". Fucking lack of edit!

IAMTHESYSTEM

The trouble with Sci fiction TV shows is almost everything has to be built from scratch. You can dress up a building,  Blakes 7 infamously used the Top of the Pops studio for their set  but the weapons, futuristic transport etc have got to be constructed. That's expensive so the Studio would want a pretty sure fire 'winning selling point' which might be difficult considering Judge Dredd is a fascist Law man in a dystopian future. Not a lot of individuals beating/usurping/destroying the  Authoritarian system in Dredd; hell the System beats them.

Judge Anderson of PSI Division or Cadet Judges 'suddenly developing super powers' ala Heroes type of rip off would properly be more interesting to a TV Studio than old stony face.

I think there's some programme on American TV called Revolution which has a white family being hassled by an Authoritarian Government led by a Black man after all electrical gadgets get the blue screen of Death. I'm sure it's not developed to appeal to a certain type of Republican who can't believe that President O'Barma got elected back into the  White House but if this is the way American TV is going then Judge Dredd will only ever get made if he don's a white sheet, practises his 'White Power 'salutes and goes burn crosses on a hill somewhere .
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

dweezil2

Dredd was easily my film of the year.
And without wanting to resurrect the dull debate again, I thought the functional uniform looked superb in the movie and was totally in keeping with the early design of the character from the comic.
Can't wait for the Bluray!  :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 28 November, 2012, 11:32:47 AM
The trouble with Sci fiction TV shows is almost everything has to be built from scratch. You can dress up a building,  Blakes 7 infamously used the Top of the Pops studio for their set  but the weapons, futuristic transport etc have got to be constructed. That's expensive so the Studio would want a pretty sure fire 'winning selling point' which might be difficult considering Judge Dredd is a fascist Law man in a dystopian future. Not a lot of individuals beating/usurping/destroying the  Authoritarian system in Dredd; hell the System beats them.

But most of the general props for Dredd have all ready been manufactured. Location work and green-screen would take up the bulk of any future proposition. We are just throwing around the idea of a limited mini-series with a certain appeal made for the price of a direct to DVD sequel not an entire season of episodes or a dodgy cash-in sequel.

I think there's some programme on American TV called Revolution which has a white family being hassled by an Authoritarian Government led by a Black man after all electrical gadgets get the blue screen of Death. I'm sure it's not developed to appeal to a certain type of Republican who can't believe that President O'Barma got elected back into the  White House but if this is the way American TV is going then Judge Dredd will only ever get made if he don's a white sheet, practises his 'White Power 'salutes and goes burn crosses on a hill somewhere .

Since Dredd was not made by any US company in the first place I don't think anyone is expecting one to pick up the TV option for mainstream US TV.

JOE SOAP

But most of the general props for Dredd have all ready been manufactured. Location work and green-screen would take up the bulk of any future proposition. We are just throwing around the pie in the sky idea of a limited mini-series with a certain appeal made for the price of a direct to DVD sequel not an entire season of episodes, and possibly a better alternative to a dodgy cash-in film sequel. As SBT rightly said, with a decent script, it wouldn't necessarily be shite.

Since Dredd was not made by any US company in the first place I don't think anyone is expecting one to pick up the TV option for mainstream US TV.