Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Sherman Kid

What percentage of DVD/Blue Ray sales do the film makers receive?
Do we have a grand total for these sales to date?

The bottom line for any business (when searching to make a profit) is looking for an opportunity and exploiting it. Looking around the web it still isn't hard to find new material from those who want a sequel.

The mistakes of the first vis-à-vis marketing, 2D prints etc etc are known and widely accepted and they obviously have a wider/stronger platform to go from than before(the 95 version now being eclipsed like the risible Batman and Robin was).

Remember making Dredd in the first place was a bit of a punt. Making a sequel ,given the on-going online and retail  response, on the same budget would be less of a gamble IMHO.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 26 June, 2013, 07:54:15 PM
Do we have a grand total for these sales to date?

Nope, and likely never will unless DNA/IMGlobal decided to release totals. Chart-companies are legally bound to not release specific figures publicly or for academic study.

The Sherman Kid

Do you know what their cut is for each DVD/Blueray ?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 26 June, 2013, 08:19:49 PM
Do you know what their cut is for each DVD/Blueray ?

Hard to know the exact cut depending on ownership but it's more than the box-office cut.

JOE SOAP

DREDD steelbook (Japan) 2D only:

radiator

Nice!

There has GOT to be a UK/US special edition of some sort on the horizon, surely? I know there's been no word, but it's sold enough to warrant it.

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 26 June, 2013, 07:54:15 PMRemember making Dredd in the first place was a bit of a punt. Making a sequel ,given the on-going online and retail  response, on the same budget would be less of a gamble IMHO.
Not really. Just as many sequels do worse than their predecessors, not better, and Dredd, despite this flurry of activity at retail, never hit the same dizzy heights in the US as in the UK. I think any Dredd sequel would be a massive gamble, but at least if someone did go for it, they'd know there's at least some appetite for the character now.

radiator

Oh, I think it's safe to say a sequel would do significantly better now that the first film has an established fanbase who mostly picked up the film on home formats. There would be so much more hype and attention for film two, now that the original has so many vocal fans.

Whether it would do enough more business to make it a bona fide hit is anyone's guess - my guess is that it would take maybe two or three times the amount of box office that the first one did, potentially making it a modest hit.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 June, 2013, 09:53:47 AM
Not really. Just as many sequels do worse than their predecessors, not better, and Dredd, despite this flurry of activity at retail, never hit the same dizzy heights in the US as in the UK.

That's common when the initial film is a huge box-office success and there's a high plateau to fall from but there's been too few cases of a sequel originating from low box-office and high retail to make a decent comparison: Punisher: War Zone is the closest example* but that was a troubled reboot with a whole new crew, cast and studio rather than a sequel; it's also considered to be a poorer quality film than the previous. Worthwhile to note that DREDD still made more in both US box-office and retail than anywhere else.

*There is the Atlas Shrugged trilogy that has lost money with each successive film but there's a unique agenda and history surrounding it and it's self-financed by wealthy ideologues.

radiator

Be very interesting to see how Kick-Ass 2 fares at the box office - providing it doesn't turn out to be a complete stinker of course.

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 June, 2013, 09:53:47 AM
Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 26 June, 2013, 07:54:15 PMRemember making Dredd in the first place was a bit of a punt. Making a sequel ,given the on-going online and retail  response, on the same budget would be less of a gamble IMHO.
Not really. Just as many sequels do worse than their predecessors, not better, and Dredd, despite this flurry of activity at retail, never hit the same dizzy heights in the US as in the UK. I think any Dredd sequel would be a massive gamble, but at least if someone did go for it, they'd know there's at least some appetite for the character now.

As already posted by Joe and Radiator ,given the low base and now wider appeal its highly unlikely any sequel would actually fare worse at the US Box Office.

Given the dross being pumped out at the moment like World War Zzzzzzzz, we just need someone with a bit of vision to get behind a Dredd sequel. Can someone push a script under Chris Nolan's nose...?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 27 June, 2013, 12:15:25 PM
Can someone push a script under Chris Nolan's nose...?

I don't think Nolan has much interest in comic characters plus they couldn't afford him.

JOE SOAP

He's also owned by Warner Bros.

Dodsy

Still no sequel announced yet?

I've said it elsewhere (may not have been on these boards, can't remember) but I think if we are going to hear anything it'll be at SDCC in 3 weeks (18th - 21st July).
How great would it be if at the 2000AD panel (I'm assuming there is one again this year) they announced that the comic 'sequel' in the Meg is actually the first part of a multi part bridge between the two movies  with the second movie coming out in 2015-16?
Twitter - @dodsy84