Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Quote from: James Stacey on 06 August, 2013, 10:52:22 AM
Not trying to start an argument :) Just curious as I've always assumed a 'super' hero required super powers else he's just a hero

By that logic Green Lantern isn't a superhero either - just a man with advanced technology (see also: Starman).
To me a superhero is defined by the tropes of the story. I'd argue that certain Batman stories aren't superhero stories but detective stories. In all media other than comics though, Batman is clearly a superhero. Even in the DCU his superhero type stories are far more numerous than the detective stories and his inclusion in the JLA seals the deal.

sheldipez

Quote from: radiator on 06 August, 2013, 10:44:25 AM
I see what you're getting at but I'm not biting. No, Dredd's a cop, and often an antihero, even a villain, depending on the story.

I was going to point out more often than not I'm on the side of the "criminal" where Dredd is concerned. He's certainly not a likeable character nevermind even coming close to be being a hero for anybody.

Dredd often doesn't even care about the common man and would (and has) arrested people for the smallest things, Batman would overlook a poor juvie stealing some food for their family (instead he would see the big picture) where as Dredd would lock him up, no grey area, not heroic by any terms of the definition. Nevermind Dredd going after people that dare to scavenge the property of the 350 million dead citizens after Chaos Day. When we're down to so little Judges to deal with actual crime and citizens themselves having a hard time to keep alive that's scavenging of resources, not stealing.

Dredd is un-heroic as can be IMO.

mididoctors

I would give him sooperhero status but in a anti-superhero mode. He has the superpower to prevail and remain on track with his beliefs. His most powerful super ability is his faith in his own judgement which of course he loses for a while and has to renew.

the loss of superpower and the internal search for its source is a fairly established superhero troupe to be honest.

The part of his character that is novel is "is he really a hero?"... and its ambivalent. Close to sheldipez I guess.

NapalmKev

I would say that Dredd has had at least a couple of 'Heroic' moments. SPOILER - in the story about the little girl who ended up as a dysfunctional brain in a robot body (Robot Bonieee) he authorizes payment to get her sorted out, and then promptly knocks out the finance judge who questioned the use of funds.

And from the Megazine, two mutant children he saved after receiving a message pod from them (i don't remember the title of the tale, but it involved a mutant on a farm who had helped Dredd previously), hewent out of his way to make sure the children were alright.

judge Dwedd, my hewo!

cheers

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

mididoctors

Quote from: NapalmKev on 06 August, 2013, 12:29:29 PM
I would say that Dredd has had at least a couple of 'Heroic' moments. SPOILER - in the story about the little girl who ended up as a dysfunctional brain in a robot body (Robot Bonieee) he authorizes payment to get her sorted out, and then promptly knocks out the finance judge who questioned the use of funds.

And from the Megazine, two mutant children he saved after receiving a message pod from them (i don't remember the title of the tale, but it involved a mutant on a farm who had helped Dredd previously), hewent out of his way to make sure the children were alright.

judge Dwedd, my hewo!

cheers

true enough but the day he decided to do something nice it turned out a disaster... not to say he wasn't being nice but I guess he can't do that well :D

Recrewt

I think that most definitions of superheroes are along the lines of 'a fictional hero who has extraordinary or superhuman powers' so by that strict definition Batman, Green Lantern, Iron Man and Dredd are not superheroes. 

I think the term really took off with Superman and has since been associated with those characters who had special powers.  This is also why terms like 'masked crusader' and 'world's greatest detective' came about for the likes of Batman as they recognised at the time that he had no special powers.  Time has moved on though and you could argue that Batman has become more super as time goes on - strength, prowess and a general disregard for the law of gravity mean that he has become far more than a man with a few gadgets. 

Dredd is definitely an anti-hero - his cause may be heroic (assuming you see the law that way) but he uses brutal and violent methods for this i.e. non-heroic.  This does make me wonder though - whether an anti-hero with superhuman powers is also a superhero e.g. Wolverine?

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: mididoctors on 06 August, 2013, 01:48:32 PM
Quote from: NapalmKev on 06 August, 2013, 12:29:29 PM

Judge Winslow. Previously we'd seen Winslow booted off the Judge Child mission on Justice 1...he clearly didn't like him.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

JOE SOAP

If Judge Dredd is considered a superhero then every other Judge should be too.

JamesC

Goaty

JamesC

Bat King

He talks the talk. We already know he can walk the walk.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

JOE SOAP

I went to buy a bottle of wine the other day and the guy behind the counter said, 'Are you Judge Dredd? First of all, how did he recognize me? Secondly, just the fact that he's a guy at the bottle store saying 'I want to see more of that!'

Poor Karl, hitting the bottle in despair.

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

JOE SOAP